PDA

View Full Version : im at my witts end with my car

SeanF
04-07-2007, 07:36 AM
background.

have a rattle on decel, i guess its on accell too, but i can only hear well on decel.

i thought it was the wastegate, so i replaced the turbo with a k04. it wasnt, so i have a good k03 sittin in the garage, and a k04 in the car.

realized i had a huge boost leak... so i fixed it.

then it would overboost like crazy, 25psi and it wouldnt go higher because it would start misfiring...

i figured that was the n75, or a leak in the n75 hoses. replaced the n75...

then it was misfiring at the normal 18-20 psi, so i replaced the bkr6e's with 7es...

took it for a test drive- was going well, then it started misfiring at idle, and flashing CEL... i was still in my neighborhood so i was going to limp back home, so i turned around, and it smoothed out, and the CEL stopped flashing (but was still on)

on a side note: its boosting correctly now (staying under 20psi) however, the boost doesnt fall off towards redline, and it knocks alot :-\ and i have good gas in it too...

Audi1.8T3T4
04-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Flashing CEL and knocking always makes me think its the ICM (Ignition Control Module). When you are building boost does it feel like its not really putting down the power you are making? If so it could also be a faulty injector and the computer reacting irratically to the inconsistant spray patterns. Hope this helps!

badassbaldie
04-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Sean, same EXACT things are happening to A4cefed after we replaced his K04 last weekend. He has the same exact setup as you and also replaced his N75.

FYI, I did notice that my A4 did the same thing when I replaced my Wett programming with the GIAC. I changed the plugs as you did and it eventually worked itself out. I'm wondering if the ECU has to adapt????

mike-2ptzero
04-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Sean what chip are you running with the K04?

badassbaldie
04-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Sean what chip are you running with the K04?

I'm assuming that it is the standard GIAC K04 file (listed in his sig).

Sean, you DID change your FPR, right?

a4cefed
04-07-2007, 07:57 AM
ICM is another thing or even a bad coilpack, did you scan the car ?

SeanF
04-07-2007, 08:16 AM
yea, its got a 5bar fpr and GIAC k04 software...

it has, at certain times, felt very good. those times however are few and far between.

im about to graduate college, so i think ill be pulling parts off the car, and trading it in... i dont want to give up on it, but this is the WORST timing for the car to be adding stress to my life... im giving and giving, and its just not giving back like it used to...

mike-2ptzero
04-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Any logs?

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 09:04 AM
sounds like coil packs or and ICM problem. As mike said do some logs to see where the misfires are coming from. What were the codes you pulled?

fastbreak88
04-07-2007, 10:06 AM
What year b5? It's the ko4, they are cursed. sell it to me :)... seriously. De-mod and sell, everybody is doing it. I dare you.

Rosati
04-07-2007, 10:20 AM
What year b5? It's the ko4, they are cursed. sell it to me :)... seriously. De-mod and sell, everybody is doing it. I dare you.

STFU Kid.

Sean, just take it easy man i was the same way when i bent my valves, (Fvckn interference engines!) But it might be something simple like the ICM as they said, so just try the little things, then make a decision later on, We all been through it to some extent and you know for damn sure I have...

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
for christ sakes we own audis...you need to be preapared for this kind of shit : p

fastbreak88
04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Don't listen to rosati. he is setting you up. you are driving a time bomb. sell it while you still can!

"STFU KID." <---- you just won the TOUGHEST GUY ON THE INTERNET AWARD!

test your skills in real life:

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
everything will work out, the K04 is the perfect place to start out and to get to know your car. When everything is up and running you won't be dissapointed

AudiRacerS4
04-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Don't listen to rosati. he is setting you up. you are driving a time bomb. sell it while you still can!

wtf are you talking about

fastbreak88
04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Sheesh, you guys are thick. JOKES[cool]

ICM is very likley. Also a failed maf can do similar things. Make sure you are using the regular N75, you def don't want the "race valve" but you probably know that.

what codes are you throwing? you said the blinking stopped but you now have a constant cell?

Rosati
04-07-2007, 12:14 PM

"STFU KID." <---- you just won the TOUGHEST GUY ON THE INTERNET AWARD!

test your skills in real life:

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

I dont test my real life skills by filling out an online app, If you know what i mean.

You have nothing to contribute, so just disappear. Everything you just said has already been mentioned.

fastbreak88
04-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Actually rosati, no one mentioned the n75. he said he replaced it and he could have used the race valve which would be something that would definitely cause those problems. Stop being a board nazi. The other things I mentioned popped into my head as I was typing, I didn't mean to step all over your toes with useful information.

You weren't even in the conversation until I stepped in with my light hearted poking. You clearly like to exercise your board prowess by shitting on new comers. I suggest you chill out. There is room on the internet for the both of us.

Rosati
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I just didnt like what you said to sean, thats my problem. "sell, de mod, everyones doing it , i dare you" What is that nonesense?

I dont start arguments, and never have, but what you typed just got to me

Its officially dropped, dont mean to contaminate his thread.

SeanF
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
like i said, the misfires went away, and i drove the car some more today...

but yes, i know its an audi and you have to be prepared for it, but ive had the car 3 years, and for the past 6 months ive been throwing parts at it to fix it and nothing is working.

next chance i get the car is going back to stock so ill have some parts for sale.

the #1 on the replacement car list is a mazdaspeed3 followed shortly by a VW GTI

the mazda has more power though ;) and i like the seats... they will make a nice step up from the shitty seats in the audi, with much more support in the corners... my nonsport seats dont hold me in.

on the bad side of things, i was told to realistically expect about $2500 trade in value, because the cluster was replaced with one that had less mileage on it.. so i will likely sell it privately for ~4-5k

if anyones interested, my timeframe will be may/june/july

fastbreak88
04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
yikes why so low. what year and mileage are you? Like I said, make sure you de-mod before you sell, especially if you are gonna trade it in. You are just asking for the same problems if you buy the GTI. Give the audi some more chances. Do you have a fellow AZ or AW'ers to help you out? Sometimes it just takes the magic touch of someone else, like when you are trying to get off a bolt for hours and then your friend drops by and gets it in one try ha. Anyway hang in there. If you do decide to get rid of it I will be interested in some of your parts. :) keep me in mind and good luck.

kurtxschool@hotmail.com

It's all go rosati [up] internet beef is tiresome.

SeanF
04-08-2007, 05:48 AM
yea, ive had plenty of help from locals, and ive given it 6 months.

i may be asking for problems with the GTI but it will have 0miles, and a warrenty

but either way, im likely to go with the speed3

its got 123k miles, and they offered me 2500 because of the speedometer issue... the odometer shows 81k...

i will be pulling parts off early may...

Rosati
04-08-2007, 08:33 AM
try NOT to trade in your car.

Sell it privately, Then go to the dealer w/ what you have.

Only trade it in if it takes too long to sell it or you are no longer willing to wait, thats the only upside.

They do their best to give you next to nothing, regardless of miles/condition , etc.

If you do trade in, Do not tell the dealer that you have a car to trade in. Negotiate a price FIRST, then after that price has been established, Mention youll be trading your car in to cover a portion of the price. (they do something w/ the numbers when you tell them right off the bat that you have a trade in)

Good luck sean, keep us posted, hit me up if anything.

badassbaldie
04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
the #1 on the replacement car list is a mazdaspeed3 followed shortly by a VW GTI

Sean, I feel your pain bro. That's EXACTLY why I got rid of my A4. Thing is, my A4 was/is running great, I just wanted something that was more reliable and had a warranty. Besides, it's nice when you can dedicate your money 100&#37; towards mods as opposed to 50% mods, 50% maintenance like I did with my A4.

I bought an '07 GTI 4 door and I love it! My GTI stock feels much faster than my K04ed A4 with all the supporting mods. I never drove a Mazdaspeed3 to have an opinion on them. I looked at B6 S4s, A3s, G35s, and even a C32 AMG before I bought my GTI. I'm very happy with my decision and it's really nice to know that you have a brand new car in the garage that won't have any CELs on when you start it.

yikes why so low. what year and mileage are you? Like I said, make sure you de-mod before you sell, especially if you are gonna trade it in. You are just asking for the same problems if you buy the GTI.

Are you talking about a MKIV GTI or MKV? I know the MKIVs had alot of issues but not the MKVs.

offroader1006
04-08-2007, 11:07 AM
and for the past 6 months ive been throwing parts at it to fix it

I think this is your problem. The time spent to fully test the car and privide a correct diagnosis is extremely under-rated these days. With all the Internet diagnosis and desired "easy" or "quick fixes," people forget what fixing a car really requires.

Buying a new car is also an easy out. what happens when something similar happens to that car? a new one then too?

Seems like a lot of whining, and not a lot of trying(no logs yet?).

offroader1006
04-08-2007, 11:09 AM
it's really nice to know that you have a brand new car in the garage that won't have any CELs on when you start it.

havent worked at a dealership have you?

badassbaldie
04-08-2007, 11:22 AM
havent worked at a dealership have you?

Nope. I know that even new vehicles WILL throw an occasional CEL. The thing to remember here is that a new car A) will have a warranty covering the problem, and B) The new car will throw a CEL far less than a 9 year-old B5 A4 (unless it's a Ford or Chrysler...[:p]).

Disputing the fact that a new car will require less maintenance than a B5 Audi is living in denial, plain and simple.

I do agree with you that "throwing parts at a car" is not a way to remedy a problem...

offroader1006
04-09-2007, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=badassbaldie;1546572]
Disputing the fact that a new car will require less maintenance than a B5 Audi is living in denial, plain and simple.QUOTE]

that is true, but for the small length of time the car is still "new" is it worth it?

learning how to maintain a car will mean you can be happy with the car you love for as long as you want, not until its warranty is up.

just my $0.02

SeanF
04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Id be looking at a mkV gti if i went that route.

james, ive done many logs, posted them, and followed the advice that followed.

at this point, i cant even run a log because the car will hardly run at full throttle for 2 seconds, let alone for the 10 seconds it takes to make a 3rd gear pull

badassbaldie
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM

DO IT!!!

offroader1006
04-09-2007, 12:59 PM

james, ive done many logs, posted them, and followed the advice that followed.

at this point, i cant even run a log because the car will hardly run at full throttle for 2 seconds, let alone for the 10 seconds it takes to make a 3rd gear pull

why dont u pm me and i can get more info and try to help you out, i dont like seeing anyone give up on a car.

iin10ded
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm very happy with my decision and it's really nice to know that you have a brand new car in the garage that won't have any CELs on when you start it.

wait i'm sorry did you say you bought a VOLKSWAGEN and you're stoked how reliable it is? i'm not sure if you know but.. vw and audi are the same company. give it 5 minutes and the cel's will come.

but congrats, it's a very cool car.