PDA

View Full Version : Labree HFC-vs- ECS universal 3inch Cat.Coverter

Tiluleshpingen
04-06-2007, 07:35 PM
ok so maybe am in the procces of getting rid of my test pipe cuz i dont wonna get pulled over and get checked if i have Cat.coverter and am not about to pay a thousand dollars in fines.

So i have come to this two products , the Labree HFC, and the ECS Universal 3'inch Cat.Convert.
The Labree HFC is very expensive, but i been hearing very good response from people that use it(Onemoremile)
Now the ECS 3" Cat.Conv. is inexpensive litterally .. $99($100), but the thing is that it doent have any holes for the sensors to go in.
Would it be possible to make your own holes and place the sensor bungs in there??
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/13408ECS_CAT_CONV.jpg

I also came across the 3" flex pipe
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/13408ECS_FLEX.jpg

europshhrc279
04-06-2007, 08:41 PM
ill take your ATP off your hands when you do take it off

Tiluleshpingen
04-06-2007, 10:06 PM
i know i have to custom fabricate dhe ends of the ECS 3"cat, to fit the turbo exhaust

Tiluleshpingen
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
anyone no ideas?

bass_lover1
04-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I've been thinking about doing this my self, however I have a few cheaper options in mind. One is a Magnaflow 3" cat w/ 2 o2 bungs already in place, sells for 70-80 online + shipping, or the other is a cat by some off brand company, the cat it self looks similar to the Lebree, but it only comes w/ 1 o2 sensor bung, and the other would need to be welded in place, this cat sells for 40 IIRC.

Either way, my thought was to have the muffler shop cut off the ends from the OEM cat and weld them to the new one so they don't have to be fabricated and I'll know they fit.

Tiluleshpingen
04-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I've been thinking about doing this my self, however I have a few cheaper options in mind. One is a Magnaflow 3" cat w/ 2 o2 bungs already in place, sells for 70-80 online + shipping, or the other is a cat by some off brand company, the cat it self looks similar to the Lebree, but it only comes w/ 1 o2 sensor bung, and the other would need to be welded in place, this cat sells for 40 IIRC.

Either way, my thought was to have the muffler shop cut off the ends from the OEM cat and weld them to the new one so they don't have to be fabricated and I'll know they fit.

hhm very cheap indeed, where did u get this site?
to cutt off ends of the cat its good but arent the cat ends a little small? less then 2.50

bass_lover1
04-07-2007, 06:33 AM
hhm very cheap indeed, where did u get this site?
to cutt off ends of the cat its good but arent the cat ends a little small? less then 2.50

performance-curve.com

I've dealt with them before, it's where I purchased my Magnaflow muffler and tips, good prices, certain items give you free shipping, don't remember if it's either of the CATs I was looking at though.

I'm not sure what the size of the ends are, I just know it would work if I decide to do it, yes it may be a bit restrictive, but dropping the stock CAT for a highflow one is going to give you much bigger gains than going from 2.5 to 3 for such a short run, especially since I'm still running k03.

EuroA4
04-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Check out the ones by Tantrumwerks.com....they are made by Fast Intentions.
It's a Magnaflow core with custom ends/flange and O2 bungs. It flows great, has a good deep sound...and fits with no issues.

Tiluleshpingen
04-07-2007, 10:44 AM
It's a Magnaflow core with custom ends/flange and O2 bungs. It flows great, has a good deep sound...and fits with no issues.

hhm nice site but the the High flow cat that they have is only for transverse engines??

EuroA4
04-07-2007, 11:00 AM
hhm nice site but the the High flow cat that they have is only for transverse engines??

Actually they offer both. I have the HFC on my A4 now!
http://tantrumwerks.com/html/18exhaust.html

Tiluleshpingen
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Actually they offer both. I have the HFC on my A4 now!
http://tantrumwerks.com/html/18exhaust.html
So where it says (A4, Passat) meants that Longitude?
How is that HFC going for you?

EuroA4
04-07-2007, 11:46 AM
So where it says (A4, Passat) meants that Longitude?
How is that HFC going for you?

Correct! It's really nice. Excellent quality. Its louder than stock of course...but not probably as loud as a test pipe. But its hard to tell on my set-up because I have a non-res cat back anyway...so its pretty loud. The performance has improved spool up for sure...and the fit and installation was straight forward. [up]

seank
04-07-2007, 02:40 PM
don't go universal, the Labree is super nice and it defiantly isn't super expensive as you've said at only $250, if you can't afford that then you should just be letting your car alone.

werksmini
04-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Check out techtonics tuning

onemoremile
04-07-2007, 04:56 PM

My Labree came from tantrum, came in a Magnaflow box, and is otherwise as you've described. Sounds like the same part to me.

EuroA4
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Yep...same one. I bought mine after hearing your review of it!! :)

Tiluleshpingen
04-28-2007, 01:35 AM
My Labree came from tantrum, came in a Magnaflow box, and is otherwise as you've described. Sounds like the same part to me.

jim which site did u purchase ur labree hfc from?