PDA

View Full Version : Are stainless steel braided brake lines really worth it?

DND
04-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been searching this forum, the web, and asking people and I'm getting some conflicting info. From some statements it sounds like the purported improvement is anecdotal.

I read on a VW forum that their factory lines are made with braided kevlar around the teflon. Since there are shared components between our cars what are our OEM lines made of? If they are kevlar wouldn't stainless steel be a downgrade?

If the stainless steel are really better which brand is best? I see the Goodridge lines are "only" tested to 3000 psi whereas the Stoptech ones are tested to 4500 psi yet Goodridge has T.U.V. approval which I don't see listed on Stoptech's site. And which ones have an outer covering over the braiding to protect it?

On purems.com there are some listed as stainless steel but then the description says kevlar, which is it, or is it supposedly both?

I'm just wondering if I should keep my stock ones since my brake pedal feels just fine to me, mostly I just do city driving and down shift to slow down so should I even bother "upgrading"?

ShawFM
04-06-2007, 05:13 PM
New brake lines and brake fluid make a huge difference, much more solid feel. New brake fluid makes a difference in feel also. I like the stainless lines so much that I ended up putting lines on both cars and my motorcycles. But changing brake fluid every two years is a must.

Burntaudi
04-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Worth the upgrade. My pedal is much firmer with Stainless lines. I opted for the Stoptech lines. Personally I was not that impressed with the goodridge lines.

DND
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
I was thinking of getting Stoptech too but they don't seem to have TUV approval which worried me. I'll probably go ahead and get them. I'm definitely going to do a flush no matter what though.