PDA

View Full Version : APR Exhaust and ATP Testpipe Installed: WARNING LONG.

Russell2686
04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
This is super long and probably boring as hell to most people so check the pics and sound clips if nothing else...

I brought my exhaust and test pipe to the shop to get installed but they would not install my testpipe because they said it was to hard. So basically i ended up paying them 80 bucks to hang my exhaust up.

Last night i decided i would try and tackle the TP install myself with the help of my dad. I must have read everysingle thread that shows up when you search "test pipe install" "removing the cat" and tryed to get as much into as possible ...All this helped yet i still had a hell of a fucking time. No one seems to mention maybe because it seems so blantently obvious is to remove the airbox or in my case aftermarket intake. Once I got that out of the way removing the O2 sensors became the next problem as the rear sensor was tight as shit and i had my arm wedged down there. In my opinion taking the o2s off was a harder task than removing the 17mm turbo bolts (the main reason the shop wouldnt install the test pipe for me). Those 3 bolts came off no problem and i was able to get a normal ratchet in there to take those off.
Of course the hardest part came next when removing the cat to downpipe bolts. Fuck those things but having the cat off the turbo def. helped geting the socket in there( i used a 3/8 sockets with a bunch of extenders and shit on it to get up there). Everyone claims taking them off is the harder than puting them back on BUT being that the shop had already removed those bolts to put my exhaust on they were not rusted or seized one bit when removing them.
Next came puting the test pipe in I obviously put the rear o2 sensor on before putting the test pipe in this way i didnt have to reach down there again to tighten it. Heres where i made a huge mistake. I tighten the turbo to ttest pipe bolts down completley before doing the test pipe to downpipe connection! I had 0 wiggle room when putting the bottom 3 bolts in. This is where i spent the most time. Keep in mind the car was on floor jacks and not a lift. I gave up at around 12 last night. Went to the store this morning and got one of these http://www.wihatools.com/images/Heyco/601%20Series/60136_univ_px200.jpg This thing mad life easier and i was able to tighten the downpipe to cat bolts...so i thought. I started the car to find i had a huge leak at the joint[=(] (this was after i put everything back together) So i got back under there and removed the bolt that holds the downpipe to that bracket under there. This gave me some more room and i was able to really crank down on the bolts. Finally it was all tight and leak free and i was fucking done.. [race]
Im not going to even say how long this took me because it was way TOO long but, it was pretty much my first time doing any BS like this[wrench] so it was pretty dope to get it all installed with some help keep in mind i have shitty tools and no lift so basically if you have any sort of common sense i would attempt this install yourself and not pay some asshole whos just gonna charge you up the ass to do it for you.

***Everything you read about the ATP 3" being a pain in the ass is true.. You really can not get a socket on the inner bolt on the turbo end because its just to close to the pipe.

As far as sound and performance...
It sounds great...it is NOT loud at all, really not one bit its not obnoxious its not anoying its just deeper than stock yet still not loud. So if your looking for a loud exhaust APR is not the one for you even with a test pipe (testpipe just gives it a little more throat).

I also have an electronic exhaust dump valve from www.quicktimeperformance.com that is on the exhaust but i am waiting for the cable and controller to hook that up so im sure that will be fun as hell and loud once its installed.

I personally noticed a differance in performance after the install, the turbo seems to spool up faster and the throttle response has def. improved.

Overall i am extremely happy with this set up and it was worth the long ass install process (the only thing i noticed is the tips stick out a little far from the rear bumper). Ill have sound clips up soon also.

disclaimer: im not going back and re reading what i just wrote to edit it so hopefully it makes some sense.

I would have taken more pics of the install but i was filthy and bleeding and had no motivation to take pictures

Sound from inside the car dump valve closed: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ael2v8jQJAM
Outside dump valve closed: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hrg615g9B-8

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Russell2686/CIMG0643.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Russell2686/CIMG0642.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Russell2686/CIMG0639.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Russell2686/CIMG0638.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/Russell2686/CIMG0636.jpg

AudiRacerS4
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
did you do the anti fouler mod so you don't get a CEL?

Russell2686
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
did you do the anti fouler mod so you don't get a CEL?

i bought the pipe used and the rear sensor had an antifouler on it. I didnt put one on the front one yet because i had no patience for it haha. If i get a CEL ill look into maybe redoing the rear sensor and doing the front also.

AudiRacerS4
04-06-2007, 11:13 AM
whatever you do don't put an anti-fouler on the front o2 sensor...bad stuff will happen

ct1.8t4me
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Nice work! I had the same problems and you are completely right - the ATP is a pain in the ass to install but how sweet it is when it is done! That last nut on the TP to Turbo - I had to put an open ended wrench on it coming straight in to it, then turn that like a 1/16 of a turn with another open ended wrench until I could finally get it down the shaft of the stud enough to slip a 1/4" socket and ratchet in there to finish the job...WTF. That stupid nut alone took like 20 minutes.

europshhrc279
04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
damnn....must feel great to finish after all that..im gonna be in your place sometime soon...any sound clips?...i didnt see any

Russell2686
04-06-2007, 12:18 PM
That last nut on the TP to Turbo - I had to put an open ended wrench on it coming straight in to it, then turn that like a 1/16 of a turn with another open ended wrench until I could finally get it down the shaft of the stud enough to slip a 1/4" socket and ratchet in there to finish the job...WTF. That stupid nut alone took like 20 minutes.

hahahah that is the exact same thing i did it was such a pain in the ass

Russell2686
04-06-2007, 12:19 PM
damnn....must feel great to finish after all that..im gonna be in your place sometime soon...any sound clips?...i didnt see any

the sound clips are on my camcorder and my buddy has my cable that i need to upload them...ill put them up soon

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I stopped reading after u said someone should have told you to remove the airbox... [rolleyes]
[headbang]

audi rick
04-07-2007, 03:08 AM
just got mine done on my atw car. no cell at all. wrap the test pipe. realy helps for under hood temps. was worth it and yes also a pita here as well. test pipe to rest of exhaust. no anti fowlers on it at all.

AudiSport12
04-07-2007, 07:24 AM
you should have used the write up on audiworld

now, do a home-brewed intake/cone filter and you'll really hear that turbo spool

azndrunk74
04-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I wonder if you bought my old 3" ATP testpipe, I included rear non foulers on it.

maxspeed
04-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I stopped reading after u said someone should have told you to remove the airbox... [rolleyes]
[headbang]

im sure that explains why youve had a bt setup in your basement for 3 years..

seank
04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
don't be stupid and ruin his thread, if you guys want to act like little girls do it through pm's. Lets keep this positive and hope for some good sound clips soon.

Russell2686
04-07-2007, 03:38 PM
[headbang]

ok...

passatkid
04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Just an FYI it makes it alot easier if you pull the cat and DP as one piece.

Russell2686
04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I wonder if you bought my old 3" ATP testpipe, I included rear non foulers on it.

i bought it from a guy in NJ, maybe he bought it from you at one point?

Russell2686
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Just an FYI it makes it alot easier if you pull the cat and DP as one piece.

my downpipe is welded to the dump valve that is welded to the rest of the exhaust so there was no way to do that def. would have mad things easier

Russell2686
04-07-2007, 06:51 PM
i put up links to some sound clips