PDA

View Full Version : The Fuel Filter is retarded.

dukez
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I tried to replace my fuel filter the other day and had no luck, where its located way up in there does not provide any clearance for tools to work it off. The design is simply retarded, the filter is held in place by a plastic bracket/strap, in which if you turn the lower banjo bolt, the whole filter will just turn around and will not come loose. Second problem is the actual plastic strap itself, theres no way you can reach that.

Being as I couldnt do it myself, i took it to a shop, they even dropped the tank and still wasnt able to do it for me. The said the filter just keeps turning and they didnt want to break the bracket. WTF.
Whose actually done this? Preferable on a 99 A4.

Oricle
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Theres a DIY writeup on audiworld.

a4cefed
04-06-2007, 10:11 AM
i did mine and it was cake, just follow the diy on audiworld.com

ct1.8t4me
04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I dropped the tank, let the lines hang free for about 4 feet down the length of the body. I too had the same problem with the bolt on the strap. The nut just kept spinning. I finally cut the strap (plastic) with a hack saw blade and got it all done. I tucked everything back in there. The way they have it setup with all the clips for the hoses and what not, that sucker is not going anywhere even without the strap.

onemoremile
04-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I cut it with a hacksaw blade and zip tied the fuel filter back in place. It has been fine for years now. It isn't going anywhere.

blackaudia4tk
04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
i got pissed after not being able to get it loose and broke the fuckin strap haha then i zip tied it back up in there

dukez
04-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I think i might just have to break that shit off too.

Personal Record:
Repairs where things need to be broken to get done = 6
Repairs where all is fine and dandy = 0

tamadrumr88
04-08-2007, 08:31 AM
i just did mine this past tuesday.... turned out to be the original filter from '98 (now at 78k miles [down])

i didnt drop the tank, just followed the diy on audiworld. it took me about 4 hrs to get the original one out... broke the fuel line that connects to the bottom of the filter and spent another 4 hrs trying to fab up some way to fix it.... called up the vw dealer and ordered the fuel line for a 98 v6 4motion passat and got it the following friday. surprisingly, i had the whole operation done this time in about an hour.

the filter was $20 but i got it for $13 because i work at another dealer owned by the same family/company, and the fuel line (all 8" of it, dah!) wouldve been $60 but the discount it it down to $47..... all in all i spent about 9hrs and $60 doing the damn filter

frikkin audi [down]

hey4
04-08-2007, 07:37 PM
those of you who did it, did you notice any difference? my car idles really rough and it has died twice on me now.

ct1.8t4me
04-09-2007, 07:07 AM
My filter was from '98 and probably had 150,000 miles on it. I noticed no difference although I wish I could say otherwise.

tamadrumr88
04-09-2007, 08:01 AM
doesnt audi say this is a "lifetime" part? i spoke to a vw tech and he said its more like 15k-20k miles

Ewok_Fetus
04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
It is a good idea to replace that sort of stuff at 15-20k miles to keep the engine in tip top shape because you never know what goes into your gas tank when you fill up. Also, lifetime doesn't mean 2,000 years or anything. Lifetime to auto companies just usually means for the average lifetime that someone will own a car which is about 4 years.

wood_e
04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
I cut the bracket & zip tied. Took me about 2 hours to figure it out though

AudiSport12
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I cut it with a hacksaw blade and zip tied the fuel filter back in place. It has been fine for years now. It isn't going anywhere.

thats exactly what i did too.

ModifiedA4
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
drop the tank, make a tool like this:
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/fuel-filter/DSC00999.sized.jpg
http://www.modifieda4.com/images/fuel-filter/DSC00998.sized.jpg

easy.

ct1.8t4me
04-16-2007, 06:36 AM
drop the tank, make a tool like this:

easy.

It's not that easy when the nut on the back side of the strap starts turning too...That's exactly what I did, although I actually had the right M8 bit - but then the nut started spinning too.

Break out the hacksaw blade - easier.

ModifiedA4
04-16-2007, 06:39 AM
i used a flat head screw drive to spread the clamp as i undid the bolt. this kept the nut seated in its recess. of course I sprayed the whole mess with PB Blaster first.

Like I said, its not hard to do it the right way, take things slow, think it through, and its not impossible like some make it out to be. I dont consider a hacksaw a solution.

attamz
04-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I had the same problem with the bolt turning. I believe I ended up cutting it off and using a new nut and bolt. I did all this with the tank dropped which is also a retarded design going up and over the rear end.

iin10ded
06-07-2007, 10:51 PM
it really is an Fing awful design.

mine took about an hour [in CA, never a rusted bolt in sight]. like the writeup says, undo the tank straps, and wedge a chunk of 2x4 in the gap to give you a few precious inches of clearance. i used a small right angle bit ratchet with the torx to undo the bolt, which was finger tight. an oil filter wrench helped loosen + tighten the banjo's.

a few techs i spoke to [in checking on having it done] told me that it is lifetime, they never replace them as a matter of course unless the car throws a fuel supply related code. also mine was original - 98 w 145k. and i noticed a BIG difference in driveability, much smoother on the throttle, less surgeyness and hesitation. so i call b-llsh!t on the techs on that one.

ModifiedA4
06-08-2007, 10:17 AM
It's not that easy when the nut on the back side of the strap starts turning too...That's exactly what I did, although I actually had the right M8 bit - but then the nut started spinning too.

Break out the hacksaw blade - easier.

i was smart enough to use a flathead screw driver to spread the clamp while unscrewing the screw. that keeps the nut fully engaged...that plus a healthy does of PB blaster and the filter wasnt that hard.

right tools + the right prep work always makes a job easier.

my car resides in the salt belt, and had 80K miles on it at the time so I was expecting alot of trouble.

Im just reporting what worked.

ct1.8t4me
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
i was smart enough to use a flathead screw driver to spread the clamp while unscrewing the screw. that keeps the nut fully engaged...that plus a healthy does of PB blaster and the filter wasnt that hard.

right tools + the right prep work always makes a job easier.

my car resides in the salt belt, and had 80K miles on it at the time so I was expecting alot of trouble.

Im just reporting what worked.

This is your second smug response to my post for some reason, although the post that brought this thread back from the dead was not mine...

Not knowing that there is supposed to be something back there to keep the bolt from turning, plus a proportionately large amount of effort involved to replace a "maintenance" item makes for PITA job that seems like it could have been a lot better engineered. Look at the fuel filter on the Inline-5 Turbo - it's right in the engine bay...Regardless, I'm glad that you are smart enough to know something and didn't have to use a hacksaw, which you clearly don't consider to be a solution...I'm sure everyone else is too.

You can be the Mike2.0 of fuel filters.

A4Rob
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
I did this about a month ago. CAREFUL TWISTING THE FILTER, because you will break the top line ($57 to replace) I learned the hard way.

Yes use the AW writeup. Oh yea, I did it in my garage without a lift

creechsa4
06-10-2007, 07:30 AM
yah fuel filter replacement is a must for fuel pump longevity. take your 40,000 mile old filter with all of the fuel out, blow through it. then take your new filter and blow through it. there will be a big difference!

xpl0sive
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
my car just got to 130,000 miles... i guess i should replace the filter cause im pretty sure its never been done before :)