PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry Headache

a4justin
04-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Purchased the car (98.5 A4) awhile ago. Didn't have the flip key only the sqare master one with NO remote. I bought one off of ebay that said it would work. was from a b5 a4...i get the key cut at the dealer only to find that i can't it to program to the car for whatever reason. I dont have a VAG-Com nor do i know where to find one in Atlanta, GA, the dealer said he couldn't do it becuase it was to many people ahead and i needed to get to work plus it would have costed me at least an hour to "troubleshoot"

FCC ID: MYT8Z0837231
IC: 4427A-8Z083723
4D0 837 231 M

This is on the remote part of the key. It is a 4 button and i know my trunk wont work but i read in the thousands of threads that the other 3 will (lock, unlock, and panic)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

a4justin
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
dang...no one?

jrodpikap
04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
The way I understood the key programming issue is basically that a remote key will only work with the same model/year Audi it was originally from.

So, a B7 key, which by the number sequence, it appears you bought, will not work for a B6 or B5...and so on.

You will need to find out "EXACTLY" what your FCC and IC codes from the 98.5 or 99 keys are and only buy a key with the same exact sequence. For example, my key (from a 2000 A4) has a (4DO 837 231D) code and that's exactly what I bought off ebay when I had to replace it. The letter at the end is one way to destinguish between models, mine is a D, so I made sure that I didn't buy a K or M code key.

I've never heard of anyone being able to use a new B7 key in their older A4...anyone prove me wrong?

a4justin
04-06-2007, 01:23 PM
WHere did you find the nubmers that correspond to the years from? thats exactally what i was looking for i guess. I though it was for a b5, well a 1998-2001 is what the ebay auctiond said.

jrodpikap
04-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't have a master list, but I do know that mine is a "D" and it's a 2000. So I would think a 98.5 would be a "B" or "C"...but i'm not sure. I wouldn't trust what someone on ebay says as well (on a sidenote). You can also tell from the way it looks. Take a picture of yours and post it up, i'll be able to tell you.

Finally, try searching on this or other websites, there may be a master list of FCC/IC codes and the years they correspond to.

FYI...I just took a quick look on ebay and found a key with your same exact FCC/IC numbers and it's only listed to work for an A6 or TT. Like I said, you can't go wrong matching the numbers up exactly.

Last Thought - go to the dealer and ask them for the codes for your years remote...I don't see why they couldn't get them for you.

a4justin
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
i really appreciate your help me. just makes me frustrtated because i got confused i guess. i remember reading some threads that were like you can use a vag and the three button ones would work without use of the trunk part. this sucks...are the top parts that have the keys interchangeable between two and three button remotes? hell at least my key looks cool even if it doesn't work lol