PDA

View Full Version : just scored on a roof rack setup (for mtb)

loustylez
04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
all Yakima

Q towers: retail $138, got them for $20
48" crossbar: retail $57, got it for $15
clips: retail $60, got them for $15

called around to local bike shops and found one that bought out another's Yakima supply. they aren't suppliers themselves so this stuff was just laying around. all of the above is what they had that i needed. all of it's brand new except for the cross bars are used. it's got some nicks and scuffs but who cares.

the crossbars themselves have some old beat up tower and clips if anyone's interested. now i just need some locks, a ferring and a bike tray and i should be set.

anyone know where to get the old style Yakima ferring i've read about while searching around here? onemoremile i believe has the one i'm looking for.

also, i'm thinking about going with a fork lock tray because they seem a lot sturdier. any recommendations on those? the wheel comes off super easy so i don't care if it's fork lock, just as long as it's sturdy.

onemoremile
04-03-2007, 12:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290101410898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

ebay Item number: 290101410898

My fairings are the old style Thule. <edit> Thule 555, just found the box in the garage.

jrodmk2
04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
rockymounts has trays:
got mine from: orsdirect.com for 52 shipped with a lock.

jakecro
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
just felt the need to chime in...the fork mount is no sturdier than the stand up; downside to fork mount is that you either need wheel forks to mount the front tire to the roof or put the muddy tire in the trunk. believe me, the forks are a good investment and save your trunk.

on the other hand, a buddy of mine has the stand-up trays and likes his as well. he actually had someone try to steal his bike while on the car and they couldn't get it off! only damage was a bent front wheel!

both types have pros and cons, they are roughly the same price but the stand-up sits higher on the roof when not in use...and if you have a Cannondale Lefty you should have a stand-up or you'll need an adapter for the fork mount.

feel free to email me for pics of both types for comparison

BlackB5Avant
04-03-2007, 04:42 PM
i also have the rockymouts fork mount, i paid 44$ picked up from Jenson usa. it is a great tray for the price, but the downside is you have to stowe the front wheel. i just bring a trash bag to set it on. i think it is a million times better than having a 130$ upright rack.

on a different note i had the upright bike holder that grabbed the frame insted of the tire and when i use the steel single speed bike that works fine but when i use the full suspension bike, those style racks will not open large enouh to fit around the aluminum frame. and it does seem to shimmy going down the road more than with the fork mount.

hope this helps you out.

onemoremile
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
I use Thule VeloVice trays. The fork mounts keep things lower and more aerodynamic than the frame mounts. I have a pair of front wheel mounts that fold flat when not in use.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_4160.jpg

RippleChip
04-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I have two fork mounts on my ride, both are yakima. Also got the wheel carriers if taking the mountain bikes to keep the car from getting dirty.

The eBay auction for the fairing is just like what I as well, if you position it right it will rest right at the top of the windshield and won't rest on the paint. Its a nice setup, mines going on this weekend actually

loustylez
04-04-2007, 06:55 AM
i put a bid on that fairing, thanks for the link up.

good tip about fork mounts leaving you with a dirty muddy tire, didn't think about that. i think i'll just try and find a good upright tray on ebay or something. i saved so much money on buying the stuff i have now, i'm not too worried about finding the rest of the stuff i need for super cheap, but i'd still like to save money if possible.

loustylez
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
put another bid on a pair of thule 589 velo vice with locks, along with a pair of what seem to be the same type of thule fold down wheel mounts you (onemoremile) have.

so far i'm shootin for a whole setup with 2 trays and 2 wheel mounts and a fairing for $150. not bad!