PDA

View Full Version : k04 and HFC installed : bad news *UPDATE*

a4cefed
04-02-2007, 06:43 AM
so i installed another k04 and labree hfc. seemed like nothing went easy right from the start. the first major problem was that the the bottom stud for the cat to meet the trubo, well the way it was made you can not fit a nut there because the angle on the pipe comes too close to the stud. making the oem but too fat. so now i have a nice exhaust leak there( will contact labree today)

so i went on to put everything back on take the car for a drive and boost problems so i vag it and get :
n75 valve open circuit code

does this mean my n75 valve is bad ? the car seems to be over boosting and when i say over boosting,i mean barley on the throttle and it jumps to 20psi and when i let off the gas the car jerks violently and sounds like i have a dam BOV.
any ideas ?

*UPDATE BELOW *

ct1.8t4me
04-02-2007, 07:00 AM
The N75 is either bad or the connection is bad. It is pretty common for the wire inside the rubber boot of the N75 valve to come loose. Peel the boot up and see if you can see a bad connection - it happened to me. I just soldered it back in place and have not had a problem since.

Euro-Tuner
04-02-2007, 07:34 AM
I was looking into a lebree HFC, is this a common problem...if so, Im gonna go with random tech. or tantrumwerks

a4cefed
04-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I was looking into a lebree HFC, is this a common problem...if so, Im gonna go with random tech. or tantrumwerks
once i talk to them i will shoot
you a PM and let you know what they say

EuroA4
04-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I have the Fast Intentions HFC...sold by Tantrumwerks and its awesome!!! I wish I took a photo before I put it in...it was a work of art!

FI uses Magnaflow cores...and then custom ends and flanges. Fit perfectly, sounds great!

Rosati
04-02-2007, 08:24 AM
The bottom stud is even a problem for the stock setup

Did you pull them away from each other then line em up?

Too late now , huh....

Keep us updated bro

zrowcool
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
the labree is made by fast intentions.

a4cefed
04-02-2007, 08:47 AM
The bottom stud is even a problem for the stock setup

Did you pull them away from each other then line em up?

Too late now , huh....

Keep us updated bro

what i mean is there is th nut is the pipe slopes down too far that it meets the stud and the you can not place the nut on the stub because the top of the nut will hit the pipe. looks kinda like this /-
/ = tube for exhaust fumes
- = stud

so you can see the pipe is too close to the stud

seatown88
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
what you may have to do is loosen the HFC so that the stud is just barely poking through the flange and then you should be able to get the nut on. then tighten the nuts evenly as you draw them together. Its what i have to do on the headers of my mustang or else i cant get some of the bolts in.

a4cefed
04-02-2007, 09:54 AM
what you may have to do is loosen the HFC so that the stud is just barely poking through the flange and then you should be able to get the nut on. then tighten the nuts evenly as you draw them together. Its what i have to do on the headers of my mustang or else i cant get some of the bolts in.

wow, i didnt even think of that. probably because i was so damn tired, hungry and fustrated. hahhah i will try that and im sure it will work.
also so you guys know even with my exhaust leak this HFC counds great.

badassbaldie
04-03-2007, 07:19 AM

This is a poor design IMO.

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 06:25 AM
so i swapped in a buddy's n75 valve and the boost problem is fixed, car feels very strong untill 10 psi then i feel like it mis fires and i can hear a pup pup from my the exhaust. any ideas ? my guess would be to swap in some fresh plugs seeing that my MAF and 02 sensor are new.

i will also add that i am waiting on a n75 J valve to arrive.

oh1a4
04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
i am interested in the k04

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 07:42 AM
i am interested in the k04

local sale pending,

Oricle
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
so i swapped in a buddy's n75 valve and the boost problem is fixed, car feels very strong untill 10 psi then i feel like it mis fires and i can hear a pup pup from my the exhaust. any ideas ? my guess would be to swap in some fresh plugs seeing that my MAF and 02 sensor are new.

i will also add that i am waiting on a n75 J valve to arrive.

Pull your plugs. Are they fouled? Is your engine running rich or lean from the look of them?

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 08:04 AM
well before i changed out the turbo and installed the hfc i was getting really bad gas mileage (170 a tank) but the plugs looked good during that time. i was under the impression that my stock cat was clogged but i still dont know if i fixed my problem because i just installed the set up on sunday.

Oricle
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
well before i changed out the turbo and installed the hfc i was getting really bad gas mileage (170 a tank) but the plugs looked good during that time. i was under the impression that my stock cat was clogged but i still dont know if i fixed my problem because i just installed the set up on sunday.

You got anything to test the cat(heat gun)? You can bang on it, and listen for any sounds, etc. To bad you don't have a scope you could hook up and check the ignition pattern at that RPM range.

Wait nevermind. I just read you got a high flow cat.
Wait so are you still having these problems of miss firing or not?

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 08:26 AM
i now have mis fire problems with the new set up, or at least i think its mis fire.
all i know is when i hit 10 psi or more the car feels like it bogs a little and i can hear a " pup, pup, pump" sound out the exhaust.

maxspeed
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
i now have mis fire problems with the new set up, or at least i think its mis fire.
all i know is when i hit 10 psi or more the car feels like it bogs a little and i can hear a " pup, pup, pump" sound out the exhaust.

[eek] hows the idle feel? check the gap on your plugs, they can open up over time... maybe your getting blow out, also check for cracked insulators. both have happened to me with similar symptoms to yours

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
what are insulator? damn i feel like a noob

AB18
04-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Thats plugs, had it happen to me with my A4.

onemoremile
04-04-2007, 11:59 AM

I replaced a Labree test pipe with the Labree HFC and didn't have a problem with that nut. It was nearly impossible to get onto with the test pipe. The HFC was much more user friendly. I ended up using an impact socket with a colored plastic sleeve. With the sleeve pulled off the socket was thinner and fit perfectly. I just slid it on and cranked it down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40036

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/40000-40099/40036.gif

maxspeed
04-04-2007, 12:37 PM

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/images/spark_plug_annalysis_dig_1a.gif

re: #6

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
thanks

badassbaldie
04-04-2007, 01:04 PM

[rolleyes]...

d_maniac
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
a4ce i know the sound you are talking about but you think it could be because of the leak?

a4cefed
04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
[rolleyes]...

shouldnt you be on vortex.com mr gti ?

a4ce i know the sound you are talking about but you think it could be because of the leak?

what kind of leak are you referring to ? maybe

b00st
04-04-2007, 03:37 PM
how we supposed to run when your car runs like shit [;)]

ibew5audi
04-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm on my second labree tp. First one broke like the cat did. Second one was beefed up but as stated was a pain to tighten because they flaired the end too much inhibiting the nuts from being turned w/ a wrench. I got it as tight as I could and put a jam nut on after so it didn't vibrate loose. Worked so far. I also told them about the problem. Alot of money for what it is. Good luck w/ hfc issue.

d_maniac
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
i was refering to the exhuast leak

badassbaldie
04-04-2007, 11:15 PM
shouldnt you be on vortex.com mr gti?

Well, considering I sold my A4 and I'm STILL doing work on Audis, I'd say I've earned the right to hang around. Besides, where else can you go and read ENDLESS threads of "What wheels should I get?" or "What turbo I should put in my A4?"...[:p] [:D]

a4cefed
04-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Well, considering I sold my A4 and I'm STILL doing work on Audis, I'd say I've earned the right to hang around. Besides, where else can you go and read ENDLESS threads of "What wheels should I get?" or "What turbo I should put in my A4?"...[:p] [:D]

hahhah
so next up on the list is
motor mounts, rear dif leak and trans flush [wrench]

a4cefed
04-05-2007, 06:34 AM
i was refering to the exhuast leak

the only exhaust leak i have is where the turbo meets the cat. the one i mentioned in the first post. but thats all

BzeB5A4
04-05-2007, 07:36 AM
hahhah
so next up on the list is
motor mounts, rear dif leak and trans flush [wrench]

damn, looks like everyone is having problems with their cars.
I think I got a boost leak or bad dv, busted drivers cv boot, and I know I got a slipping clutch.

What mounts you puttin in? When you plannin to do it?