PDA

View Full Version : audio: benefit to upgrading speakers?

SF944
06-24-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi all,
I have a '00 Avant with the (non-Bose) Symphony audio system.
I'm thinking of upgrading the stock speakers with better ones (leave the head unit alone), and maybe upgrading the stock subwoofer.
Do all the speakers (except the sub of course) run off an amp(s) in the HU? My old BMW had all of it's speakers individually amped, making simple upgrades a Beeeaaatch.
What size speakers fit?
Also, can I use the stock subwoofer wiring to hook up a more powerful mono amp and larger sub? I doubt the power lead is heavy enough, but are there turn-on leads? Is there even an amp back there (haven't taken it apart yet)?
TIA, SF

Saturnine
06-24-2004, 04:17 PM
4" in the front (but 5.25's will fit with an adaptor plate) i think 5.25's in the rear doors and im not sure about the stock sub.. You'll prolly have to make a box to fit the new sub..

Zodiak
06-24-2004, 04:38 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10809

I am armed
06-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Just rip it all out, go with MB Quart Q series all around. Get yourself two Eclipse titanium 10's and have them fiberglassed into the sides of your trunk. Grab two Rockford Power BD1000's, last years model and run each sub with one of them. Then grab a Rockford Power 800x4 and run your components with it. Haven't looked into in dash monitors recently, so im not sure what the best is thats out there, look into that. Make sure you get a seperate battery and mount it in the trunk as well. Buy a larger alternator, dynamat your whole interior and trunk.

That should get you started....:)

4ingDrive
06-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by SF944
Hi all,
I have a '00 Avant with the (non-Bose) Symphony audio system.
I'm thinking of upgrading the stock speakers with better ones (leave the head unit alone), and maybe upgrading the stock subwoofer.
Do all the speakers (except the sub of course) run off an amp(s) in the HU? My old BMW had all of it's speakers individually amped, making simple upgrades a Beeeaaatch.

The rears are off an amp.

What size speakers fit?

4" in front and 6 1/2' in the rear doors.

Also, can I use the stock subwoofer wiring to hook up a more powerful mono amp and larger sub? I doubt the power lead is heavy enough, but are there turn-on leads? Is there even an amp back there (haven't taken it apart yet)?
TIA, SF

You can use an adaptor for a pre out signal to a sub amp. If you need one I keep them in stock. You will have to run a new power lead. The factory one is not up to the current load. There is an amp that's attached to the factory "sub".