PDA

View Full Version : Mid Turbo to Big Turbo Setup's & Reviews

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
04-01-2007, 09:19 AM
We once had a thread with reviews that included everyone BT setup. (Yo Yo Pimpin juss slapped in) This would range from Ko4's to gigantic turbo's which require built blocks. We should use this as a guide to give others what to expect from each setup.

We should include with our post:
1) Specifications of your setup
2) Regrets
3) Review
4) Recommendations
5) Reliability
6) Other

IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION IN REGARDS TO A SETUP POSTED HERE:
1st USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.
2nd USE THE PM FEATURE.
3rd CREATE A NEW THREAD DIRECTED TO THAT PARTICULAR SETUP OR MEMBER.
LETS TRY TO KEEP THIS FOR SETUP AND REVIEWS.

I will begin: [drive]
1) Homebrew PES Powered Stage 3 A4 1.8TQM
GT28R, PES Manifold, PES GT28R Software, 440cc Green Top Injectors, Southbend Stage 4 OFE SS, APR Turbo Inlet Pipe, K&N OEM Replacement Filter, 710N DV, Milltek Resonated Muffler with Downpipe, Labree Shotgun Testpipe

2) The only regret I have would be not using an APR high flow cat opposed to the smelly testpipe... Other than that I am satisfied with my setup...

3) Drivability is smooth and great for daily driving around town. Power comes on early, linear and doesn't die out. I haven't had it long enough to crave more power as yet.

4) I knew a chip wouldn't be enough to satisfy my needs so I went from stock power straight to BT setup (some wont even consider my GT28R as a Big Turbo but rather as a midsize one.) I would not suggest piecing together a kit unless you know exactly what you are getting into and how to wrench. If you need a custom setup I would recommend you speak with Bitterchild as "he builds fast cars dee dee dee".

5) With more power comes more maintenance... That's all I got to say about that.[wrench]

k0mpresd
04-01-2007, 09:37 AM
1.8l displacement
stock small port head
scat rods, stock pistons
gt3076r t3 .63, 4" ported inlet
4" cobra hose inlet
tweaked upsolute 28rs file
3.25" maf housing
630cc injectors
cat 3651 cams
3" test pipe, 2.5" back w/ magnaflow muffler
johnny race car core w/ 2" hot, 2.5" cold, hks ssq
atp manifold
ball/spring mbc
removed: n249, n112, combi valve, sec air pump
southbend stg 3

theres more im forgetting

Alan
04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
97' 1.8TQA
1) K04, 710 DV, K&N Replacement Filter

2) Nothing really. My old turbo burnt up, so this is a nice replacement, with a larger power band and is capable of more power.

3) I really cant compare to much, as I am a new driver, and have only driven my car, and my mom's Acura RL. As far as i can tell, its a smooth ride, but I have really bad throttle response. The power is enough for me, as I dotn need a lot of maintinence.

4) I'd reccomend a K04 to someone who's K03 died, but they arnt ready for more tuning/maintinence, but would like some more power [K05/etc tuning]

5) Seems to be the most reliable "upgraded" turbo out of the aftermarket ones. Ive never had any problems.

Rosati
04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Reserving this spot for later. : )

EPL GT28RS w/ Custom EPL tune.

More info to come

BTW: edit the title to " Big Turbo Setups and Reviews "

No apostrophe...

98a4
04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Dont we have one of these? Or was it lost in the attack?

mike-2ptzero
04-01-2007, 10:46 AM

It was lost in the crash.

Question - I have had 5 different turbo/engine setups(k03, PES T28, 2.0/K04, 2.0/S2, 2.0/35r), do I list all of them? [:D]

Well I have the new rebuild going too but I wont be able to post any real info about that for some time for reasons unknown[;)]

gotaudi
04-01-2007, 11:31 AM
yes mike I would list all of them and review all the different set-ups, this will give an understanding on how much work it takes to go from the stock turbo through your 2.0 build with the 35r. I know I would like to read that story....

Don Supreme
04-01-2007, 12:16 PM
You ran a ko4 on your stroker? What was that like?

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Courtesy of MR VTEC... To bad VTEC don't kick in no mo...
Back to topic guys....

It was lost in the crash.

Question - I have had 5 different turbo/engine setups(k03, PES T28, 2.0/K04, 2.0/S2, 2.0/35r), do I list all of them? [:D]

Well I have the new rebuild going too but I wont be able to post any real info about that for some time for reasons unknown[;)]

Feel free to post all of them...

dozentrio
04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Specs:

Giac K04 Chip
K04 turbo
5 bar FPR
Bailey's Diverter Valve
Kinetic MS Exhaust Mani
Milltek High Flow Cat
Borla Cat-back Exhaust
K&N air filter

2) Regrets

None really. Wish I had more power.

3) Review

The Kinetic manifold is supposed to come with special heat tempered bolts. Mine didn't, and I found out to my great regret that even the highest grade steel bolts will stretch under the heat and pressure of the turbo. This results in turbo gasket blowing, and lots of headache, as this manifold is a pain to work around.

5) Reliability

Great. No real turbo related issues with my car yet. 300,000 km on the engine, and although I have a low oil pressure issue, the car runs fine most of the time. Engine rebuild planned...

dubiraq05
04-01-2007, 04:19 PM
atp 2871 eliminator 56 trim 3 inch compressor inlet
ctapp tune
atp manifold

only had it for 2 days so far, and only pushing 20psi till i can log some values and see how its running , but very impressed so far:)

Kyle H
06-30-2007, 03:57 PM
This needs to be up at the top!

I have a couple requests, if possible.

You guys should say when you start to spool, and when you hit full boost.

Also, I think dyno charts would help out a lot.

DSM 2 Avant
06-30-2007, 05:02 PM
If I may make a suggestion, I think it would also be helpful to indicate DBW or nDBW. I know many of us DBW's are looking for reliable setups.

Thanks!

Ldcfg
07-01-2007, 10:01 AM
great thread with good info! [:D]

Beemer832
07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I wish i knew what my car really had completely. This is what I know of and my reviews...

1998 A4 1.8 QMS
APR Stage III
GT28RS
APR exhaust manifold
Injectors??....
Fuel pump???...
Front mount intercooler
Stock airbox mod
K&N drop in filter
Fully open turbo back exhaust 3"
S4 tranny and drive line
Short shifter
APR programming
South bend Stage 3 - 6 puck racing clutch
light weight flywheel

I am sure there are some things I am missing here, but the main point of me posting this is about the reliability I have encountered with this setup. ~knock on wood~ From the day I bought this car I have had exactly 2 identical engine problems, both of them resulting from shitty gas and producing a few of the cylinder to misfire until the car came up to temp. I have had this car for almost 8 months now, drive it 90 miles per day for work, and have plenty of times "enjoyed" myself in it. It has been to one track day, and is heading to its second in August.

I am very pleased with this setup. It has amazing power, turbo lag (this is my first turbo car ever) is not bad at all, and once boost hits its like all hell is breaking loose. I am not sure what the power output is of this car or setup, but its plenty for a daily driver, and great on the track.

Gas mileage is around about 27mpg with the S4 tranny and the 6th gear ;)....

I really cannot speak enough about this setup. My only regrets are not being able to piece this all together, and not having a 400whp car.... yet...

Josh

JumboBlack1.8
07-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Anyone out there go any feedback about the PES T28 kit??? Or other comparable mid-sized turbos?

Rosati
07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Anyone out there go any feedback about the PES T28 kit??? Or other comparable mid-sized turbos?

Everyone i spoke to that had the T28 absolutely loved it.

They said It was strong and reliable. Not the strongest Turbo out there of the mid sized Turbos, but i hear the PES software was top notch and even run w/ 28 Garrett series and ran great

SeanF
07-02-2007, 03:55 AM
You ran a ko4 on your stroker? What was that like?

my car runs a k04 on a 2.3L... feels much better than my 1.8 w/ k04... but it is brand new...

Jovian
07-02-2007, 05:51 AM
This one is for those who have Tiptronic Trans.

1) Specifications of your setup:
99.4 Quattro 1.8t Automatic (Tiptronic Trans)
K04 Turbo
Basic GIAC file which requires 5bar FPR (no injectors or FMIC needed)
Borla catback exhaust
710n Diverter Valve
K&N air filter

2) Regrets:
Had APR before I got GIAC when upgrading to the K04. If I had GIAC originally I would of received an upgrade discount. Just would of saved money not regretting APR's product, it was great just would of been nice to save some money.

3) Review
I was skeptical at first about doing the upgrade since I have the Tip trans and not a manual. There is a wide range of information contradicting itself on this trans saying anywhere from it cant handle a K04 to it can handle a Garret30 series no problem.

I installed the K04 at 75k miles and im now at 105k with no related issues to the setup. Its been really strong and spools up really fast and early which makes its acceleration very fun when driving around town. Don't expect too much more top end over the K03, this turbo will run out of breath. I personally like this because I get the nice performance at the lower end and don't have the higher end to get me in trouble.

4) Recommendations
I don't recommend throwing anything larger than a K04 at the Tip Trans. This is just a personal thing, I don't have information backing it up so it may be capable, I just wouldn't risk it. GIAC does have a higher profile for the K04 that does require bigger Fuel Injectors and a FMIC if you do want more power.

I do have a small tweak I did to the trans to make shifting a little better. I disabled an option with a vagcom called DSP. This turns off the feature that overtime learns your driving style and adjusts the shifting accordingly. I believe the added HP has thrown the algorithm it uses off enough that it sometimes has harsh shifts.

5) Reliability
As mentioned above I have had no issues since the install related to the K04 setup. My Trans is fine though I do have the tweak for it mentioned above.

6) Other
Feel free to PM me with more questions if you have any. I know there is not a lot of information out there about mods on Tip Trans.

Starting
07-02-2007, 07:01 AM
98.5 1.8tqm
K04 Turbo
Ecode Testpipe
Borla Exhaust
Forge 007 dv
Homemade intake
GIAC k04 Programming
EFK
FMIC

202 whp, 207 torque

2) Regrets
Didin't go bigger to begin with. I went from a chip to the k04. I think I would have been more happy if I skipped the chip or just went bigger.

3) Review
Overall I was happy with the turbo. Good low range power. Ran out of breath sorta easily uptop. Again I just regret not going bigger sooner. Since it is the same size as a k03 it is easy to install and no custom work is needed.

4) Recommendations
Test drive someones car with a k04 first. If you are happy with your car with just a chip then this is probally the turbo upgrade for you. If you have a chip and are looking for more power then you probally want to go bigger.

5) Reliability
I never had any problems with my setup. No boost leaks, no blowing off hoses.

6) Other
I will soon have a review of my t28.

b5gen
07-02-2007, 09:59 AM
1997 Audi a4 5spd Quattro
.57 trim T3/ T04E w/ Twin scroll TH
Ebay short tube manifold Ceramicoated and Thermo wrapped
Custom Bosch 550cc Injectors
Upsolute T3 Tuned Ecu
3" MAF
6 x 28 x 2.5 sized FMIC (For velocity)
Turbo XS RFL Bov
38mm Tial Wastegate
AEM 9" L x 5" Dia. Cone Air Filter
F1 stg 1 Clutch (Basically just upgraded pressure plate)
Forge MBC (N75 Bypassed)
3" Down pipe slip fitted to 2.75 w/ Bosal muffler
...........No regrets yet but kinda wish woulda done a better clutch upgrade...Owell...If any suggestions "DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME"

Rosati
07-02-2007, 10:09 AM
1997 Audi a4 5spd Quattro
.57 trim T3/ T04E w/ Twin scroll TH
Ebay short tube manifold Ceramicoated and Thermo wrapped
Custom Bosch 550cc Injectors
Upsolute T3 Tuned Ecu
3" MAF
6 x 28 x 2.5 sized FMIC (For velocity)
Turbo XS RFL Bov
38mm Tial Wastegate
AEM 9" L x 5" Dia. Cone Air Filter
F1 stg 1 Clutch (Basically just upgraded pressure plate)
Forge MBC (N75 Bypassed)
3" Down pipe slip fitted to 2.75 w/ Bosal muffler
...........No regrets yet but kinda wish woulda done a better clutch upgrade...Owell...If any suggestions "DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME"

Nice setup as long as the logs are good and the pic looks great via the pic request thread [up] Im just scared to get into the T3T4's bc of tuning support. (or lack of)

b5gen
07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Ya. there really isnt many companys that offers GOOD pretuned/tuned ecu's options for the t3t4 bt setups. Im thinking I might switch to the tappauto tuned ecu's but im also thinking in a long run would it just be benificial to just go to
034's standalone. If i do Id just purchase their new Fuel ONLY managment and get into the whole innovate wb tuning. Some part of me says doesnt think im ready for all that yet though. I still have alot to push out of this setup still. so time will tell. ;-)

mike-2ptzero
07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Ya. there really isnt many companys that offers GOOD pretuned/tuned ecu's options for the t3t4 bt setups. Im thinking I might switch to the tappauto tuned ecu's but im also thinking in a long run would it just be benificial to just go to
034's standalone. If i do Id just purchase their new Fuel ONLY managment and get into the whole innovate wb tuning. Some part of me says doesnt think im ready for all that yet though. I still have alot to push out of this setup still though. so time will tell. ;-)

Well the good part about going with the "fuel only" from 034 is that you already have a base tune with the chip you have in your car. Bad part is that you wont be able to change the adv timing map.

b5gen
07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Well the good part about going with the "fuel only" from 034 is that you already have a base tune with the chip you have in your car. Bad part is that you wont be able to change the adv timing map.

now that you mention that, and as i think about it. i guess ill hold off until 034 comes out with somthing better or blow my wad on the stage Ic standalone lol. Mean while i guess ill do other little power up's. [wrench]

xr4tic
07-08-2007, 02:32 PM
1997 A4 5spd quattro

*Specs*
2.0 ABA Short block
JE 9:1 compression pistons
balanced bottom end (stock forged crank and rods)
ARP main/rod studs
Raceware head studs
APR lightweight flywheel
South Bend clutch
ATP manifold w/ TiAL wastegate
50trim T3/T04e w/ .48 AR exhaust housing
3" downpipe to Scorpion 2.5" exhaust, no cat
VR6 TB
Ross Machine Racing Fuel Rail and Aeromotive FPR
Siemens 580cc injectors
e-bay FMIC
Hodge-Podge Transmission (gears from an A6 and a 2.8 A4, I think 1,2,5 from 2.8 A4, 3rd/4th from a 95 A6)
um, probably some more.

*Reviews/Recommendations*
Keep in mind that most of this was done 5 years ago, when the only "big turbo" options were APR or PES Stage III kits, and ATP was just coming onto the scene. GT ball bearing turbos were just coming out.

Also, my goal was a smooth daily driver, I was not looking for the big power numbers. 350-400hp would be fine with me.

So before you ask "why did you do X instead of Y" it's probably because Y didnt exist at the time.

After the ATP chip fiasco (wrong chips, CELs, bad customer service) I went with a PES T28 chip that was originally tuned on someones 2.0 PES T28 motor. 3" MAF housing and 440cc green top injectors. This combo put down 250whp on a mustang dyno, which is ~325 crank hp (using a bone stock S4 dyno numbers done the same day for comparison) while running only 18psi.

I had full boost (18psi) ~3200 RPM, so it had a broad powerband. A lot of people look down on the T3/T4 turbos, probably because they are "old technology", but they are very good for the price, and are definately proven to work well. Just make sure you get one from a reputable shop.

The car ran great at this time, but I knew the motor and turbo were definately good for more. However, the 3" MAF was maxing out at 5500RPM, definately a problem if I wanted to tune for more. I tried using a Ford MAF, larger injectors, and a piggyback to tune it, but always ran into problems, so I parked the car, and its sat in the garage for over 2 years (buying a house also had a lot to do with parking it lol)

*Regrets*
If I had to do it all over again, would I? Absolutely

Would I do it differently? Absolutely

Things I'd do differently:
1) Forged rods - strictly a budget decision the first time around.
2) Stand-alone. Maybe. There are a lot more chip options out now, so while standalone was probably the best option 5 years ago, now it may not be - I'll be checking my options soon.
3) Saved more money before starting - the original budget I had planned has been far exceeded.
4) Header - while the ATP manifold is decent for the price,
5) Turbo - at the very least, a .63 exhaust housing instead of a .48 the .48 might not be bad on a 1.8, but I have very fast spool up, at the expense of top-end power I'm sure. I'll probably swap it out if/when I change to a header.
6) Um, dunno what else.

*Reliability*
The trans seems to be the big reliability issue. I've lost 2nd gear twice, and the current transmission makes a ton of noise in 1st gear. I also fused the clutch disk to the plate/flywheel at one point in time after I did a hard launch - was a damn good launch though :)

With the exception of changing a head gasket in a Stuckey's parking lot in Alabama after the APR BBQ (loose coolant line/freeze plug was at fault) the motor/turbo has held up fine.

I've had some problems with the gaskets blowing between the atp manifold and the turbo and wastegate.

*Future*
Plans for the future:
1) much needed body work/paint
2) Header and turbo change (exhaust housing at least)
3) Cams - I have a pair of CAT cams that have been sitting around for a while now.
4) Tuning, either stand alone or chip, still undecided, probably depends on my budget.
5) Hook Water Injection back up

Thats all I can think of for now, there is definately more though.

Tifun
07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Car: 1999.5 A4 QM DBC

APR stg 3 kit--gt28r
Milteck exhaust
Spec clutch
low mass flywheel
Stock SMIC
Snow performance water/meth injection
Stock air box with K&N filter with the APR pipe kit or whatever the hell it is
Test pipe in second cat location, no resonator

2) Regrets
Non really, performed well as expected, very very reliable, haven't had any problems that I didn't create, would like metal pipes and a FMIC

3) Review
The power comes pretty quick, not like a ko3 but still pretty fast for the size of the engine. Very fun and very strong. I don't consider this BT at all, but a nice upgrade from stock and makes the car feel like a completely different machine hands down.

4) Recommendations
If you want to stay stock looking stay with the SMIC and get the meth injection, it is the best bang for the buck. Let the car sit for at least 30 seconds after driving at idle before shutting off or get a turbo timer. I would recommend getting a FMIC or at least running twin SMIC's if you can foot the $$$.

5) Reliability
Great no issues yet and well over 40,000 miles on the kit with a whole hell of a lot of life left in the turbo

6) Other
Be careful, you pay for what you get.....parts are very costly for most and buying cheap parts means doing it again soon after the part breaks or fails. Luckily I haven't had any issues with this car but after owning almost a dozen non-stock turbo application cars I feel this statement is very accurate. I only buy parts once [wrench]

Video of me vrs full bolt on ko3 Jetta which in reality isn't to slow it self. This was without my meth injection and me being heat soaked. 2nd gear to about 90.
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i108/kaosborne/?action=view&current=e7725ccb.flv

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
07-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Car: 1999.5 A4 QM DBC

3) Review
The power comes pretty quick, not like a ko3 but still pretty fast for the size of the engine. Very fun and very strong. I don't consider this BT at all, but a nice upgrade from stock and makes the car feel like a completely different machine hands down.

I would have to agree...

FMIC is next on my list but I need to stop dumping money when i'm trying to get a new car...

Tifun
07-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I would have to agree...

FMIC is next on my list but I need to stop dumping money when i'm trying to get a new car...
I truly think that an FMIC or twin SMIC's is almost a necessity on any turbo other then stock.

supernafamacho
03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi guys,
this is my set up at this moment:

-je pistons 82,5mm 9:25:1 CR
-scat rods
-stage 3 clutch
-flywheel 12 lbs
-phenolic gasket
-034 stock manifold
-2871r eliminator
-034 3" donpipe
-034 3" full exhaust
-atp 3" inlet
-3,5" maf
-440 delphi injectors
-godspeed intercooler 20x9x2,75
-bosch 044 fuel pump
-unitronic 440 file
-forge 007p
-forge silicone hoses

I,m waiting for the INA big intake manifold

The chasis components:
-bilstein pss9
-meyle control arm kit
-ksport big brake 8 piston caliper 356x32 discs
-oz racing sinfonia 8x18
-AWE drive train stabiliser
-short shifter
-snub mount 034
-track mounts engine and gearbox 034

More stuff:
-raceland buckets
-oil press and boost gauge
-aim wide band
-hid 6000k
-beltronics 975r

The next set up will be a 3071 or 3076r with full race manifold.

Pics and more info in this thread:
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172899

Cheers.

Militant-Grunt
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Reserving spot for built bottom end and full 2871r very near future.

killa
03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
my car runs a k04 on a 2.3L... feels much better than my 1.8 w/ k04... but it is brand new...

Can you elaborate on your 2.3 displacement? Crank, bore and block.
mazda perhaps?

biketsai
03-21-2008, 10:36 PM
1) PES T28 Kit/Exhaust manifold/TIP 380cc Injectors. Cone filter, 2.5" DP back Custom Magnaflow exhaust. 3" MAF. Custom ebay intercooler. PES file-17psi
2) not enough power
3) awesome setup for DD and when I want some extra powaaa.
4) Do it
5) So far so good.
6) getting a HFC soon, hope that will free things up.

Don Supreme
03-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Can you elaborate on your 2.3 displacement? Crank, bore and block.
mazda perhaps?

Yes 2.3 = Mazda

Kyle H
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Let's bring this to the top. More reviews guys!

Lou_B5
09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
~Reserved for my build~ Give me a month, then i'll come back to it before the holidays with a full review :)

Oceanside
09-15-2009, 12:01 AM
~ Another reserved while build is still in progess: Turbonetics T3 super 60, CTAPP 630cc mafless tune, Custom 034 Downpipe, APR 2.5 stealth, GS fmic~2.5, greddy rs... yada yada

Gaberossi
09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
its in my sig.