PDA

View Full Version : Improvements to ATP inlet pipe?

1.8G
03-31-2007, 11:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone has managed to find a way to securely fasten the ATP 3" TIP to a GTRS... this little allen head screw has proven to be next to worthless, seems like i have to tighten it up at least once a week... any help would be appreciated, this is starting to piss me off.

SeanF
03-31-2007, 11:32 AM
try loctite?

mike-2ptzero
03-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Are you using this setup

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/Vehicle%20Specific/ATP-VVW-153_450.jpg

or this

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Catalog%20Images/vwaudi/vvw104-01.jpg

BranCKY3
03-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Don't use the set screw. Mine holds in place perfectly fine without it. Doesn't leak at all!

1.8G
03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
mike, i am not using either of those... but if i had to choose between the two i would say its similar to the second one you posted. When its not tight, i can move the metal part that sits on the compressor inlet back and forth (between the turbo and radiator fan). It never comes completely off, but i am worried that it creates enough space to suck in some debris (what i think happened to the first GTRS that failed). I also suspect that the space created when loose creates turbulent air at the compressor wheel, maybe delaying boost... just a thought. Either way, I would like to get this fixed if not just for the peace of mind (I have been extremely paranoid since the first GTRS failed).

mike-2ptzero
03-31-2007, 06:13 PM
mike, i am not using either of those... but if i had to choose between the two i would say its similar to the second one you posted. When its not tight, i can move the metal part that sits on the compressor inlet back and forth (between the turbo and radiator fan). It never comes completely off, but i am worried that it creates enough space to suck in some debris (what i think happened to the first GTRS that failed). I also suspect that the space created when loose creates turbulent air at the compressor wheel, maybe delaying boost... just a thought. Either way, I would like to get this fixed if not just for the peace of mind (I have been extremely paranoid since the first GTRS failed).

Well thats the only picture they have it on the site, but I know they sold one like it that was more square which I saw on charlies B6. The one in the first picture will just have a better flow into the turbo.

BTW when it leaks on you the turbo is sucking in unmetered air which can cause the car to run lean during WOT.

1.8G
03-31-2007, 09:35 PM
yes, the one i have is the more square one... did the b6 you mentioned have the same problem? I attempted to tighten it down again today, and it was loose after a 10 minute drive durring which i did not exceed 10psi. I am at the end of my rope with this one... any suggestions? My college student status prohibits me from buying anything new, so im stuck with what i got... [headbang]

turboquattro068
03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
i use the second peice and it works great, havent yet to have a problem. Just tonight i did a boost leak check found two small leaks. Holy hell did that make a difference in the car. I dont know how all you others hook up your pcv valve but if you want some pics i took a ton, and if you need help installing ask, ive been modifiying and adjusting mine the last month, it just needs tlc, wich shouldn't be required for something at a price!

mike-2ptzero
03-31-2007, 10:16 PM
yes, the one i have is the more square one... did the b6 you mentioned have the same problem? I attempted to tighten it down again today, and it was loose after a 10 minute drive durring which i did not exceed 10psi. I am at the end of my rope with this one... any suggestions? My college student status prohibits me from buying anything new, so im stuck with what i got... [headbang]

Yes he(charlie) did, IIRC he removed it and went with the setup in the first picture. I am sure if you talk to ATP they might take that one back for credit towards the other one.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-31-2007, 10:38 PM
i have one and it seems like when i replace the engine everything went together perfectly and so far it has a good placment

czapa11
03-31-2007, 10:43 PM
i have a passat b5 and i got this for it

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=472

bOOOOstedAudi
03-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Designed as a direct replacement for the A4 1.8T turbo, Samco inlet hose that leads air into the turbocharger, high flow design flows more freely for better throttle response, less turbo lag, and more horsepower.

The intake hose is full size, 70mm at the MAF and 65mm at the turbo inlet. When combined with a free-flow exhaust system, we have dyno tested this hose for 10to 15hp gains on GT28RS installs by providing smooth intake passages and aided reduction in intake temperatures. Hose is better than O.E. quality, utilizing Samco Sport silicone plumbing and retains all the stock mounting provisions for the Audi A4 1.8T. **Clamps ARE INCLUDED!

Adaptor sold seperatly for the GTRS Turbo kits.
http://www.034motorsport.com/images/A4_HOSE%200021.jpg
http://www.034motorsport.com/images/A4_HOSE%20004.jpg

I do not have this as of yet but I would deff think that this is by far the best TIP that is offered to the elim kits.

ActiveMonkey
04-01-2007, 02:44 AM
maybe this is crazy... but could you use Lock Tite on the allen bolts?

mike-2ptzero
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
maybe this is crazy... but could you use Lock Tite on the allen bolts?

Yes, but the compressor housing heats up so it might not last long.

The samco hose from 034 looks like it should be the best way to go. It is pretty much the same type of setup that APR uses for their stage 3+.

passatkid
04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
What not use a bolt with a nut to lock the bolt in place.

Poopie
04-01-2007, 01:05 PM
hard to get tools in there. I don't have a set screw in mine.

$teady$upreme
07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Yah, that allen head screw can be stripped so easily too~