PDA

View Full Version : Is it Worth it?

TJM
03-31-2007, 01:03 AM
My friend has a 96' A4 Quattro that he is willing to sell to me, for around 2000

Here is what I'd like to know
there are a few things wrong with his car and very high mileage I need a cheap car that can get banged up but i still want to l ook nice [:D] I got a DUI and had to sell my car but once i get off suspension i need something to drive....so after that little intro here's some specs on this car. I used to drive a Ford Explorer with TERRIBLE gas mileage, so i also figure this will be a lot better (i was getting 15mpg) evenif i do have to use premium gas [:(]

2.8 V6
5 speed
New Timing Belt
New Suspension
Needs a new ECU (no idea on cost)
Needs new thermostat (no idea on cost)
Needs rear tires
Has some minor dings and dents
Missing FOBs so you can only use key
Missing keyhole on driver door (someone tried to break in) *no idea on cost*[wrench]
Fully Loaded
Took wonderful care of this thing i've been in the car with him plenty of times to see he doesn't drive like a nut, and very good about taking it in for regular maintenence

The problem I see are I am not going to have money right away for repairs. Will this car be driveable as is? Does anyone know how much any of those parts will cost? Is 230k to many miles? I know it is for many cars, but I'd like to think Audi's last longer hence why I want one so bad [:)] Something in my heart is telling me go with this car and put some cash in it he said he'd go as low as 1800$. And I'm considering asking if he'll fix these things before selling even if that means price goes up to 2500-3000$

Finally my dad isn't a big fan of audi's he says they have a ton of electrical issues? What are some of your opinions on that?

I'm clueless when it comes to audi's were a Ford family, but I love how even the old ones look new and just the luxury they seem to have, how could I pass on something like this for that cheap right?? [confused] I need a car that can last me a few years 2-3 with me putting around 14k a year on it let me know if this is the car for me!

Thanks for the help in advance!

speedydragon
03-31-2007, 01:09 AM
230k is a lot of miles...if you're tight on money and looking for something reliable, i'd say go for a toyota or something japanese. I have a 1992 celica w/ 235k miles as daily driver. well..the engine only has around 80k on it, new engine :D. I got the car for 2k, and I have to say it is quite reliable.

TJM
03-31-2007, 01:13 AM
did i mention there highway miles [:D]

His dad had the car before him and drove an hour one way each day to work for 7 years...that racked the miles quickly they bought it brand new though so I know whose owned it the WHOLE time

this things only 2k though that's why i'm so interested in it.

I'm a big guy too 6'5 265 soooo anything smaller then this is defiently a no no I can't fit [rolleyes]

Tiluleshpingen
03-31-2007, 01:32 AM
My friend has a 96' A4 Quattro that he is willing to sell to me, for around 2000

Here is what I'd like to know
there are a few things wrong with his car and very high mileage I need a cheap car that can get banged up but i still want to l ook nice [:D] I got a DUI and had to sell my car but once i get off suspension i need something to drive....so after that little intro here's some specs on this car. I used to drive a Ford Explorer with TERRIBLE gas mileage, so i also figure this will be a lot better (i was getting 15mpg) evenif i do have to use premium gas [:(]

2.8 V6
5 speed
New Timing Belt
New Suspension
Needs a new ECU (no idea on cost)
Needs new thermostat (no idea on cost)
Needs rear tires
Has some minor dings and dents
Missing FOBs so you can only use key
Missing keyhole on driver door (someone tried to break in) *no idea on cost*[wrench]
Fully Loaded
Took wonderful care of this thing i've been in the car with him plenty of times to see he doesn't drive like a nut, and very good about taking it in for regular maintenence

The problem I see are I am not going to have money right away for repairs. Will this car be driveable as is? Does anyone know how much any of those parts will cost? Is 230k to many miles? I know it is for many cars, but I'd like to think Audi's last longer hence why I want one so bad [:)] Something in my heart is telling me go with this car and put some cash in it he said he'd go as low as 1800$. And I'm considering asking if he'll fix these things before selling even if that means price goes up to 2500-3000$

Finally my dad isn't a big fan of audi's he says they have a ton of electrical issues? What are some of your opinions on that?

I'm clueless when it comes to audi's were a Ford family, but I love how even the old ones look new and just the luxury they seem to have, how could I pass on something like this for that cheap right?? [confused] I need a car that can last me a few years 2-3 with me putting around 14k a year on it let me know if this is the car for me!

Thanks for the help in advance!
the 12valve 2.8 it weak,..sorry 12valvers..[:(]
ecu's go about 300- 450 bucks
thermostat i think its around 20-40 bucks
tires well you decide..lol
key replacement on the drivers side could cost a good 250$ and thats on domestic cars.. audi maybe 300[eek]
now you dont need us to tell you what to do, but well help ya ,
i think if he can fix the car for you then take it and just get a little taste of what an audi is all about .. Not all audis have eletricla problems, thats what i was told before i bough my audi, but i bought it anyways[up] .. its just a myth, not if someone been trying to flip satelites on his car with powercords running on DC currect then its gonna have problems[rolleyes]
THE VERDIC FROM GIAC
IF YOU WONNA GET A TASTE WHAT AN OLD AUDI CAN OFFER THEN BUY IT EVEN IF THE GUY DOESNT DO THE REPAIRS SO YOU CAN GET TO KNOW UR CAR BETTER
BUT TO KEEP THE CAR FOR 3 YEARS ITSGONNA STEAL MONEY FROM UR POCKET AND UR NOT GONNO KNOW IT . TAKE CARE NOW

TJM
03-31-2007, 01:47 AM
i really think i'm gonna go for it it won't be for until late may however seeing as we both have to wait until we can get back from school, i'd love to see how an audi really is, always loved them. I know 4 people all driving audi's with over 150k on them and they seem to be great!

As for your comment about the engine...eh i could care less really i'm not trying to speed around after my DUI i can't afford to be getting speeding tickets

My next step...learn to drive stick! [:D]

audiness
03-31-2007, 09:28 AM
the 2.8 engines seem to have a much longer lifespan than the 1.8T's

AudiRacerS4
03-31-2007, 09:38 AM
lets put it this way I know someone who picked up a 98.5 1.8T with 90,XXX miles on it for $3500. Christ you can get a used 99 1.8T or 2.8 for around 4-6k with under 120k on it

20vpower
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
the 12valve 2.8 it weak,..sorry 12valvers..[:(]

its true... thats why i added the 1.8t to my garage

and thats what i did cept i found a fwd one with 135k, bought it for 3gs, if i didnt crash it, i think it may have been a bit better, but it is for sure a beater audi, just cough up a few more g's and get a better one. dont just jump on something and get screwd in the long run. it basically comes down to this, do you want to go fast or do you want reliablitly

TJM
03-31-2007, 10:49 AM
i've been lookin on autotrader, i haven't seen an audi under 6000 with less then 150k on it. Thanks for opinions still i appreciate them!