PDA

View Full Version : Tell me my clutch will heal itself

ct1.8t4me
03-30-2007, 05:40 AM
So I was acting a fool with a couple of my buddies last night and I ended up smoking the crap out of my clutch from a launch. Now my clutch slips in 5th if I give it too much juice. I searched around, and it looks like people are saying that a week of "normal" driving should solve my problem. The clutch has only 14,000 miles on it and is about a year old.

Any thoughts other than "you're a dumbass"?

pac1085
03-30-2007, 06:11 AM
not even a week, if its not ok later that day or the day after then you fucked something up.

TurbousMaximus
03-30-2007, 07:03 AM
what kindda clutch? Hopefully you didnt replace it with another oem clutch.

superman_006
03-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Not really sure why they said normal driving, if you overheat it would regrip once it cools back down. They just cooked your clutch. I would try to get a hold of bitterchild (Tony) he can get you a good deal on a southbend clutch set. Your flywheel probly has heatcracks in it

mike-2ptzero
03-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Sounds like you glazed the disk and maybe even the flywheel. If it an organic disk setup then it should grab again once it is cooled unless the flywheel is glazed. If you glaze a metalic disk then it is done because it will never hold again. This is one of the big reasons why slipping a clutch when launching is bad because it over heats the clutch parts.

ct1.8t4me
03-30-2007, 07:40 AM
OEM clutch was replaced with another OEM clutch 14k miles ago.

The clutch has definitely had time to cool - it was about 6 hours between when I shut it down and when I drove to work this morning. Like I said, just driving around, I wouldn't know there was a problem, but when I hammer it, it slips. Or if I am cruising in 5th and floor it, the revs will increase, then the car seems to catch up and actually go...

SHIT.

maxspeed
03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
ooooouch buddy, 2 oem clutchs? thats just not thinking, but dont feel bad, i made the mistake of replacing my oem with a spec clutch, only to have to replace that with a southbend

Ewok_Fetus
03-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Last launch I did like that my input shaft seal busted and sprayed oil all over the clutch which caused it to slip in 4th and 5th. But I don't see how a launch can bust that seal at all. Unless it was just a coincidence that those happened at the same time...

mike-2ptzero
03-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Last launch I did like that my input shaft seal busted and sprayed oil all over the clutch which caused it to slip in 4th and 5th. But I don't see how a launch can bust that seal at all. Unless it was just a coincidence that those happened at the same time...

Are you talking about the very small cap like seal on the back of the block or rhe actual crank shaft seal?

I had the small seal(oil passage cap) pop out during a launch, my CV went at the same time.

Ewok_Fetus
03-30-2007, 02:44 PM
The one on the transmission... For the input shaft seal. Not the rear main seal... Caused oil to seep down the input shaft and when I would go, the oil would spray everywhere inside of the bell-housing... Oil soaked clutches are no good...

ct1.8t4me
04-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Well - the clutch has healed itself. I was worried there for a few days, but it's all set now.