PDA

View Full Version : Going K04..questions

Diesel_A4
03-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Im about to do a K04 upgrade...but im piecing it together..getting a turbo by itself. Im wondering if anyone knows excatly which, and where I can get the gaskets im going to need.. Also does anyone know if dahlback (SP?) Makes a chip for the k04 yet?! Im trying to avoid using the GIAC k04 chip because I have not heard the best reviews on it yet..but if anyone uses the giac chip please convince me otherwise. lol

Who makes a k04 program..are APR and GIAC the only ones?!

and any advice you guys can throw me about doing this upgrade id appreciate. Was also wondering if I can run it on stock injectors?! As well as which are the best kind of plugs to run when doing it.

AudiSport12
03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
APR doesnt make a K04 program for the B5. but i have heard pretty good things about GIAC. thats what im going to be using when i go K04 in a little while.

mike-2ptzero
03-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Im about to do a K04 upgrade...but im piecing it together..getting a turbo by itself. Im wondering if anyone knows excatly which, and where I can get the gaskets im going to need.. Also does anyone know if dahlback (SP?) Makes a chip for the k04 yet?! Im trying to avoid using the GIAC k04 chip because I have not heard the best reviews on it yet..but if anyone uses the giac chip please convince me otherwise. lol

Who makes a k04 program..are APR and GIAC the only ones?!

and any advice you guys can throw me about doing this upgrade id appreciate.

What year is your car?

Diesel_A4
03-29-2007, 07:30 PM
its a 2001..sorry probably should have noted that lol

mike-2ptzero
03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
its a 2001..sorry probably should have noted that lol

Might want to call up Jeff at Torque Factory to see if you can get the "hammer" file.

Diesel_A4
03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
and what might the "hammer" file be lol

mike-2ptzero
03-29-2007, 08:06 PM
and what might the "hammer" file be lol

FXK04/hammer is the name of the GIAC file for a K04 on a 2001. Here is a post by another member. The chip is tuned for 380cc injectors.

click here (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89638&highlight=K04+Hammer+file)

Rosati
03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
we've had nothing but good experiences w/ the GIAC chip.

I had a k04 setup ready to put in, then i sucked it up, found a sweet deal on a BT kit and sold the K04 setup, because many people will speak against getting it nowadays and just going Gt2x or larger beacuse it'll be worth it in the end

I loved how the K04 punched (in aliels car) but hated how it would just abruptly die , it felt like hitting a wall, thats how drastic it was....

With a BT you wont have to shift around the K04s weak points and be more than likely so damn happy w/ the power

Nor_Cal_Driver
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
K03s to K04 seems rather pointless but I don't know it all.

ChescoS6
03-30-2007, 12:29 AM
MTM has one for your car. I e-mailed them last month and confirmed it, I have a 2001 as well and will probably go with them.

ChescoS6
03-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I forgot the link:

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/

Diesel_A4
03-30-2007, 04:54 AM
thanks for the replys so far..as far as going BT..im really not interested in doing that, my previous car was an LS1 transAm that ran mid 11s. So I dont really want to drag or get in over my head working with this car, the k04 just seems like a nice reliable upgrade to give the car enough on the street for daily driving so it wont be painful when going WOT...lol

Also...what is the differance between a k04-015 and a k04-001?

Beerzo
03-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Being from the UK most of the people here get custom re-maps to the car not a generic chip.

Why dont you go for a custom map that way you will get the best power output from what you have done to your car before its chipped.

01'A41.8T
03-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Might want to call up Jeff at Torque Factory to see if you can get the "hammer" file.

Any GIAC dealer has it [up]

SeanF
03-30-2007, 06:47 AM

different versions for different cars, you want the k04-015

mike-2ptzero
03-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Being from the UK most of the people here get custom re-maps to the car not a generic chip.

Why dont you go for a custom map that way you will get the best power output from what you have done to your car before its chipped.

All about "money" and custom chips aren't cheap since you have to also pay for dyno time. Also have to ask if the few extra hp/tq is worth the extra money over a standard chip for that turbo. It really isn't worth it on the K04 since it is so small and can only really make so much power unless you really want to push the boost levels. A custom tune really only comes into play when going BT.

Oricle
03-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Inmotiontuning might have a k04 file for your car.
Doing a custom tune for my GTRS with them right now, and I know he does have some k04 tunes.

superman_006
03-30-2007, 07:36 AM
So we fineally know what type of turbo, Oricle

Nor_Cal_Driver
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
thanks for the replys so far..as far as going BT..im really not interested in doing that, my previous car was an LS1 transAm that ran mid 11s. So I dont really want to drag or get in over my head working with this car, the k04 just seems like a nice reliable upgrade to give the car enough on the street for daily driving so it wont be painful when going WOT...lol

Sounds reasonable to me. I actually want to run a k04 myself but need more convincing that it will be a worthwhile upgrade from a k03s and that's why I posted a reply to the contrary.

EuroA4
03-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Well if you add up all the upgrades in the link posted by Mike about the hammer file...its a day and night difference between a k03s and k04. But if you are just adding the Ko4 and not doing alot of other upgrades he's probably right...not THAT much of a difference.

Basics:
K04-015 with gasket kit
stock manifold....but might consider larger one (ie. Kinetic MS or ATP)
High Flow Cat or Test Pipe
Cat back exhaust (various options)
Intake (carbonio, evo, custom required for hammer file)
Turbo Inlet Pipe (ATP, Samco, APR, Neuspeed)
Fuel pressure regulator/injectors (stock4 bar with 380cc injectors, or 5bar fpr with stock injectors)
FMIC or SMIC (to keep intake temps down with hammer file)
225hp TT MAF (housing and sensor needed for hammer file)
GIAC basic or hammer files

These mods should be putting out very close to 200whp (260chp).

Not to mention brakes, suspension, motor/trans mounts...etc.

Nor_Cal_Driver
03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
But with all those parts at a cost close to a BT kit makes this a tough decision. Isn't there some middle ground?

badassbaldie
03-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Diesel, you've got the right attitude as far as what to expect from a K04. I've had two A4s (manual and Tip), both of which were K04ed. It is a nice upgrade from the stock K03 but by no means is it fast or a race car.

My last A4 had just about every K04 supporting mod (sans FMIC and/or PC-16) and my '07 GTI is faster stock.

Nor_Cal_Driver
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
How's the understeer and or any wheel hop on the GTI?

mike-2ptzero
03-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Diesel, you've got the right attitude as far as what to expect from a K04. I've had two A4s (manual and Tip), both of which were K04ed. It is a nice upgrade from the stock K03 but by no means is it fast or a race car.

My last A4 had just about every K04 supporting mod (sans FMIC and/or PC-16) and my '07 GTI is faster stock.

GTI should be faster, it has a larger engine with a K04 and is lighter.

badassbaldie
03-30-2007, 03:10 PM
How's the understeer and or any wheel hop on the GTI?

I really haven't noticed it all that much yet. I'm sure it will be more prominent once I get an ECU flash though. The fact that I was losing quattro was one of the setbacks I considered when getting the GTI but I've since gotten over that...

GTI should be faster, it has a larger engine with a K04 and is lighter.

Your point is noted...you forgot to mention that there's almost 10 years of separation between them (i.e improved engineering). IMO, engineering far exceeds engine displacement, weight, etc...

01'A41.8T
03-30-2007, 05:36 PM
But with all those parts at a cost close to a BT kit makes this a tough decision. Isn't there some middle ground?

Thats kind of like asking for the midlevel of midlevel.

EuroA4
03-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Thats kind of like asking for the midlevel of midlevel.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

You can just get the basic K04 kit to start with, then add parts as you get bored each week :) Or you can get what you need to make a K04 as good as it can be with the stuff I listed above. OR...when that doesn't solve your addiction for more power...you'll be asking about the GTRS or APR stg.3...and so on...> Until you start to
spend every waking hour planning your BT set-up and how you can home-brew some standalone system and make 400whp.

Good luck. [up]

mike-2ptzero
03-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself!

You can just get the basic K04 kit to start with, then add parts as you get bored each week :) Or you can get what you need to make a K04 as good as it can be with the stuff I listed above. OR...when that doesn't solve your addiction for more power...you'll be asking about the GTRS or APR stg.3...and so on...> Until you start to
spend every waking hour planning your BT set-up and how you can home-brew some standalone system and make 400whp.

Good luck. [up]

LOL, welcome to my world for the last 7 years. Right now the goal is 600whp but I will be happy(for now) with 550whp.[:D]

EuroA4
03-31-2007, 06:44 PM
400 or more of course....LOL!! Any new photos of the car lately Mike?

mike-2ptzero
03-31-2007, 09:54 PM
400 or more of course....LOL!! Any new photos of the car lately Mike?

Not yet.