PDA

View Full Version : Snub Mount Install: Remove Bumper or Not?

jbrentd
03-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I recently ordered the PureMS snub mount and wanted to take a poll on which was the preferred method. Most write-ups say to remove the bumper, but some people say you don't have to. I have never removed the bumper myself, so this would be my first time do that. I just wanted to get a feel (from those who have done this) on which way to go about installing it.

Poopie
03-27-2007, 08:18 AM
i removed my bumper. taking out your headlights makes bumper removal very easy. Then take out the couple torx screws and the bumper shocks, then pull the rad support forward enough to get the snub mount out, Then you'll need to grease up the new snub mount and it takes quite a bit of force to slip it on.

jbrentd
03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Is there a special kind of grease i should use?

ct1.8t4me
03-27-2007, 08:28 AM
I had to take the entire radiator support off. I had only planned on taking the bumper off and moving things forward a bit but there was no way I was going to get the leverage I needed to get it on. I had the GreedSpeed snub, not sure how that compares with the others other than price (cheap as hell). It was also very cold so that probably contributed to it. Nothing I did was going to let me get a shortcut. I ended up having to remove the radiator and everything and pounding it on with a mallet. Good Luck - I hope yours goes smoother than mine.

wood_e
03-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I moved the radiator support forward and unbolted the snub bracket. I then put my snub mount in the microwave for 35 seconds and pressed it on. Needless to say I didn't get all of the snub bolts in. I'm missing one and I bet that's not helping.

stevied916
03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I removed it. I couldnt imagine trying to get the new one on with the bumper still on. I used some aircraft grade grease I had lying around but I'm sure anything not too harsh will work

Euro-Tuner
03-27-2007, 08:53 AM
there is a couple threads on this already, and instruction on the APR website...

mike-2ptzero
03-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Mike at Pure Motorsports showed me that pulling the "cross bar" wasn't needed at all. The way he does it is by taking a few of the bolts off that hold the actual snub housing to the engine.

I was even able to put the one I got from 034 Motorsports on the same way without removing the bumper.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716snub-05.jpg

jaybquick@JHM
03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Did mine on my S4 on the car. Yours looks easier. Probably just the right tools to remove the piece from the block would be the issue with the limited space.

ct1.8t4me
03-27-2007, 09:16 AM
My problem was the force needed to push the bushing onto the post. It was impossible to get it on without pounding. Again - it may have been because it was cold - although I did try to heat it in the microwave and boiling water, I didn't want to melt it beyond use so I was conservative - maybe too conservative.

Poopie
03-27-2007, 09:42 AM
i parked close to my work bench in the back of my garage and I had to put my feet on there to force snub mount on.

bronz
03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
i started doing my timing belt yesterday... already took the bumper off, ac condenser.. having an amazing hard time with lower radiator hose.. any input guys? any easy way to take it off? space is so limited up there theres no goodway to pull it... also going to install my apr snub and do clear corners while doing timing belt kit from purems

werksmini
03-27-2007, 10:05 AM
What I did was remove the bolts on the snub surround and lifted the engine with a jack and cut the old one off. It is a TOTAL PITA to get the new one on from under the car with the bumper on. If I were to do it again I would definately take the bumper off, but its possible.

SeanF
03-27-2007, 10:14 AM
i didnt get mine on the post completely when i first put it on...

but tightening the big torx screws for the intercooler pipe tightened it on, if that didnt do it, driving it around did, because its locked on there good now, i tried pulling it off last time i had the radiator support off the car.

the easiest way is to take the bumper off... its really not that hard.

This was also the first time i had my bumper off too.. dont worry about it, its not as bad as you think...

Poopie
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
i started doing my timing belt yesterday... already took the bumper off, ac condenser.. having an amazing hard time with lower radiator hose.. any input guys? any easy way to take it off? space is so limited up there theres no goodway to pull it... also going to install my apr snub and do clear corners while doing timing belt kit from purems

wiggle side to side and up and down for a few minutes. make sure the clip is lifted up. then use a lot of force to pull it off.

bronz
03-27-2007, 01:50 PM
does the clip have to be all the way off or half way is fine? cause my top radiator hose one flew off when i tried prying it off... :D getting off from work in half an hour and goin home to keep working on my timing belt :D

jbrentd
04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Although I did not do it myself, I love the new PureMS snub mount. I had my guy do it along with the head gasket job since he had the bumper off anyway. It definitely shifts much smoother. Now, I just need to get the new transmission mounts on.

jrodpikap
04-03-2007, 08:15 AM
So, is it worth the trouble? I'm on the fence about doing it myself.

jbrentd
04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Like I said, I didn't do the install myself, but I can say that it is a big improvement. Everyone that has done it themself says it's worth it and they should have done it sooner.

offroader1006
04-03-2007, 08:53 AM
i did it in about 30 mins, thats including putting the car in the air.

no way i would even think about removing the bumper.