PDA

View Full Version : bigger brake upgrade ideas....

Beemer832
03-26-2007, 07:17 PM
After my DE at heartland park this past weekend, I need some bigger/cooler brakes. Too much brake fade coming off the straights. I was running some not so great DOT 4 brake fluid, and hawk performance HPS compound brake pads with some drilled and slotted rotors. The medal never seemed to get mooshy, as boiling brake fluid would posess, but I smoked the pads a few times coming off the long straights. I want something with good stopping power, keeps rather cool for the few track events I'll do each year, but of course, something that isn't going to kill the bank..

the car is a 98 1.8tq with the apr stage 3 turbo kit, fmic, h&r springs with some bilstein struts, bbs 17"s rims. brakes are completely stock.. anyone have some advice or can point me in the right direction?

thanks
josh

EBG 18T
03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
i found these to be beneficial and cost effective They also allow for easy pad swaps at the track. I can install my DS3000's in 30 min. Then at the end of the day put my street pads (axxis) back in in another 30 minutes. :)

http://www.rmcb5.com/modules/gallery2/d/15031-1/430stoptech.jpg

Beemer832
03-26-2007, 09:50 PM
what are those? sorry not familiar with the brake world... YET

josh

Tgr_Clw
03-26-2007, 10:29 PM
That's the Stoptech 332 BBK.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/BBK/summary.shtml

You can also check out Stasis/Alcon setup (best of the best, but $$$)

http://www.stasisengineering.com/

winston@podi.ca
03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Try a set of proper track pads first as the HPS are not a proper track pad. I used them at my last track event and they were OK in the rain but the minute the weather cleared up the pads were useless after the 4th lap.

If you do want to get a BBK then Stoptech is great value for the money.

I ended up skipping the Stoptechs and bought a Stasis/Alcon setup and they perform as advertised. Great pedal feel and very easy to modulate.

They are a lot of money but I justified it like this: $3000 over 2 years = $4.11/day

Since I drive daily I spent the money and just stopped drinking coffee from Starbucks.

ratty
03-27-2007, 04:14 AM
I ended up skipping the Stoptechs and bought a Stasis/Alcon setup and they perform as advertised. Great pedal feel and very easy to modulate.

They are a lot of money but I justified it like this: $3000 over 2 years = $4.11/day

Since I drive daily I spent the money and just stopped drinking coffee from Starbucks.

I really, really like your logic. I think I might give up coffee tomorrow (and that's a big sacrifice you realise, we have REAL coffee here in Oz - rich dark roasted Colombian made by an excellent barista just across the road from my client this week. Actually I'll give up lunch this week, coffee next week).

EBG 18T
03-27-2007, 03:10 PM

That is classic. [:D]

pms
03-27-2007, 03:40 PM
After my DE at heartland park this past weekend, I need some bigger/cooler brakes. Too much brake fade coming off the straights. I was running some not so great DOT 4 brake fluid, and hawk performance HPS compound brake pads with some drilled and slotted rotors. The medal never seemed to get mooshy, as boiling brake fluid would posess, but I smoked the pads a few times coming off the long straights. I want something with good stopping power, keeps rather cool for the few track events I'll do each year, but of course, something that isn't going to kill the bank.

Have you ducted any air to the brakes yet? You can spend a great deal of money trying to add parts that deal with the heat, when just getting some air flowing through the rotor may be all you need.

I do agree with the one statement that the Hawk HPS are not a great heavy duty track pad, but I bet with a step up in pads and some ductwork to direct air to the back of the rotor, you will find you have plenty of brakes for a DE...maybe not an enduro...

IMHO, FWIW...

Oh, and the nice thing about ducting air is it makes those high dollar BBK systems works better too.

Beemer832
03-27-2007, 07:12 PM
yea, the car already has the s4 inner wheel liners with the large brake duct vents in them. I also purchased a set of vented and cross drilled rotors that I think helped with the cooling. I am just going to stick with a nice set of track pads for my next DE and I will see how I do. They were fine when I was building up speed, but as I kept getting deeper into the turns, and braking later, they started to fade. Thanks for all of the feedback, really appreciated it!!

josh

seatbelt67
03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
You're lucky. At least your license plate didn't fly off on turn seven. I noticed that I was experiencing some horrible braking due to my brakes being warpped. I want to replace the rotors with something drilled or slotted and now I have an excuse to do it. I need to figure out a good replacement in the stock range (something where the fronts and rears match).