PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Hi guys.I'm considering buying some H&R or Apex springs to lower my baby.Currently i have a 98 sport model,so it's already lowered a bit.The question i have is how many mm is lowered compared to the stock model?I mean,how many mm will a 40mm spring lower my sport model?Because the rating "40mm" means that she will be lowered 40 from the stock position right?[rolleyes]

ceas
03-26-2007, 05:42 AM
H&R Race springs should make a big different the (1.8 inch drop). The H&R Sport springs proabably won't make much of a difference at all.

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 06:01 AM
I don't have the $$ to go with struts right now,and i'm puzzled...I keep reading about people blowing their struts after weeks and for people that have race springs+stock sport suspension for years[headbang]

98a4
03-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Stock sport struts will hold up to a drop more then non sport. Your ride will suck but you should be 10-30k miles on the stocks before they completely go out on you. Save your money and do it all at once.

audi_dude
03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
To the base (non-sport) suspension on my FWD, I changed to Neuspeed springs which lowered the car noticeably ... probably about 1.5" or more in front. That was at ~40k-50K on the odo. Kept the stock shocks. Also went from 15" wheels to 17". Ride was noticeably stiffer and the CD skipped much easier, but definitely cornered better. From a performance perspective, there was a noticeable improvement. I drive spirited and autocrossed once.

Recently the front right shock (still original stock base units) started clunking so I replaced all 4 with KYB GR-2's. Car is at 140k miles now. Very little change and I'm still deciding if there is a difference. As soon as I sort out my wastegate problem, I'll take it for a proper drive.

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Audi_Dude your shocks lasted 90k miles?That's great!I hope mine don't blow right after the springs[headbang]

Jereme
03-26-2007, 07:41 AM
ive gone about 10k and mine haven't blown yet,can't wait for some bilstein grooved shocks.

98a4
03-26-2007, 08:28 AM
They dont always blow, but the ride wont be good and performance wise it wont be much better then stock. Please dont cut corners on suspsension. It's one of the few things where you really get what you pay for.

Rosati
03-26-2007, 08:33 AM
eehh malacca :P

dont get springs man, just save up for some coilovers, trust me, I run springs w/ my Bilsteins and its an "ok" drop I dont get the full effect, stock bmw's 3 series are lower than my B5

After all that, im saving up for the ecs tuning coilover kit.

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM

dont get springs man, just save up for some coilovers, trust me, I run springs w/ my Bilsteins and its an "ok" drop I dont get the full effect, stock bmw's 3 series are lower than my B5

Rosati man you are hilarious!I love the way greek language travels outside boarders[:D] .But,to be accurate it's "malaka"[;)]

As for the coil overs,i just can't put them on my "to do" list right now...I have to get my custome turbo back exhaust,my sb stage4 and lwfw and after all that the long awaited gt28r[hail] So,i wont have any money this period[=(] [=(] [=(]

Rosati
03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
O man i know all the phrases, yeah cant spell it, but i had this greek girl for a while and wanted to teach me the whole language ( you know how greek girls are, controlling ! )

I feel you, then go w/ the ECS coilover kit, its about 2-something and can be added to any spring pkg. So id def . say go w/ that when the time is right....

Im getting my 28RS in about a week,i fitted the milltek, i prepped the engine and belts, and everything to handle the extra power. I suggest you do the same, if you have anything on the car that is questionable if it will be a problem down the road, id suggest fixing it now

congrats

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 10:13 AM
O man i know all the phrases, yeah cant spell it, but i had this greek girl for a while and wanted to teach me the whole language ( you know how greek girls are, controlling ! )

I feel you, then go w/ the ECS coilover kit, its about 2-something and can be added to any spring pkg. So id def . say go w/ that when the time is right....

Im getting my 28RS in about a week,i fitted the milltek, i prepped the engine and belts, and everything to handle the extra power. I suggest you do the same, if you have anything on the car that is questionable if it will be a problem down the road, id suggest fixing it now

congrats

Rosati you were with a greek girl??!!So you know how it is[rolleyes] !My girl is kinda OVER-controlling!!But,what can i say,i can't live without her[:)]

The ecs kit is any good?Or is just a temporary solution?Will it work good with the stock shocks?

My car is almost ready for the elim.I only need the clutch to go in...Oh,and i don't have too many miles...I only have about 43k on her and i have the big service in about 2k-3k miles[wrench]

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Just show it[:(]
*coil-over sleeves work with aftermarket shocks/struts only.

docurley
03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
I run H&R race on my 1.8Tq and the handling is much better and the setup works great but as stated coilovers are the better options but if on a budget I would recommend this setup for sure and race springs are the ones you want.

giorgos_B5c
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Doc, race springs how many mm set you lower?I'll probably be all over them[wrench]

docurley
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
40mm

Stock sport springs

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/docurley/Audi%20Project/Parking6.jpg

H&R Race springs

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/docurley/Audi%20Project/FMIC.jpg

Jereme
03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
wow I cant wait to powder coat my wheels,those look mintt

JMaxx93
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
H&R race springs dropped mine perfect. Its obviously not as good, hadling wise, as doing shocks or full coil-overs but its about 500+ cheaper and worth it. my springs were like 250. if my shocks blow, i'll replace them then. I don't mind working on my car. and the second time doing it will take half as long. I really don't think doing shocks at the same time is as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I know i'll get flamed for this. oh well.

Stock non-sport
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/jmaxx93/FEB4e.jpg

H&R Race
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t37/jmaxx93/3Mar07g.jpg

drunknmunky408
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM

I second that... why pay/waste labor twice. I took that advice from my friend and I have no regrets! It set me back pretty good but it was well worth it. I went with Tien Basic C/O

Tiluleshpingen
03-27-2007, 01:15 AM
ive gone about 10k and mine haven't blown yet,can't wait for some bilstein grooved shocks.

where you gonna oder them ? am looking for adecent website and non of them convince me .send me a link when u order yours, or if you know the site send me a link thanx
And giorgios.. the sport suspention should last a bit thats what i had with neuspeed springs

Tiluleshpingen
03-27-2007, 01:27 AM
one more thing ...PUSHTI EHEHEHE you can get bisteins rear sport shocks they have an adjustic perch so i belive they can be ajdust but not by much and they dont cost that much $130 a pice $260 a pair.. and the fronts are grooved i belive and they can be adjusted a little more, they are actually cheaper then the rear ones around $120 each $240 for both so thatsa total of $500 plus the race sprigns in the $230 now you have a nice very good dureable setup wiht life time warranty(bilsteins) for under 800.. thats what am going for ..... malaka .. OQI?

giorgos_B5c
03-27-2007, 02:59 AM
one more thing ...PUSHTI EHEHEHE you can get bisteins rear sport shocks they have an adjustic perch so i belive they can be ajdust but not by much and they dont cost that much $130 a pice $260 a pair.. and the fronts are grooved i belive and they can be adjusted a little more, they are actually cheaper then the rear ones around $120 each $240 for both so thatsa total of $500 plus the race sprigns in the $230 now you have a nice very good dureable setup wiht life time warranty(bilsteins) for under 800.. thats what am going for ..... malaka .. OQI?

lol lol lol lol lol lol[hail] .I see everybody know the basic "good" words in greek[:D]

For now i'm going with just the race springs,and i'm consider this setup GiacRs4 because it's more affordable.Maybe i'll buy this kit and later on,give them to my father and go koni[race]

Jereme
03-27-2007, 07:41 AM
DrunknMunky408, its not a big deal if you do the labor yourself...

GiacGRs4, I'm not sure when I'm ordering mine,I'm short on money and still need a new trannyyy...

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
03-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Recently the front right shock (still original stock base units) started clunking so I replaced all 4 with KYB GR-2's. .

Those kyb gr-2's are stock replacements...

audi_dude
03-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Audi_Dude your shocks lasted 90k miles?That's great!I hope mine don't blow right after the springs[headbang]

Actually, 140K. 40-50K with stock (base) springs, then the other 90K with the Neuspeed springs. And AFAIK, the dealer never replaced the shocks during any of the maintenances (until the 50K warranty ran out).

Tiluleshpingen
03-27-2007, 09:39 PM
lol lol lol lol lol lol[hail] .I see everybody know the basic "good" words in greek[:D]

For now i'm going with just the race springs,and i'm consider this setup GiacRs4 because it's more affordable.Maybe i'll buy this kit and later on,give them to my father and go koni[race]
ok FILE....but i beleive that the bilsteins are more durable and better product then koni....so fi u do that go with Stassis race better then anything out there.. but gonna need to do a check up at the doctor every 3 weeks for internal bleeding[up] [:D]

michael66899
03-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Anyone know the spring rates for the H&R race springs, and the neuspeed race springs on a 2.8 Quattro?

drunknmunky408
03-28-2007, 04:22 PM
You can get Tien C/O on ebay for $730 shipped