PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rear spring...

rdguy
03-25-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a broken rear spring on my 98 A4. I would like to know the proceedure to replace it and where to find a replacement? Is this a dealer item only? Do I need to unbolt the lower arm to allow removal of the shock/spring assy?

I have the wheel off now and am just investigating how to repair this?
Any help or information would be appreciated, as I do not have a service manual.
Rick

BTW I am located in Ontario Canada.[wrench]

BlackB5Avant
03-25-2007, 12:14 PM
you will need to remove the whole assembly, there is a good write up on coilover installation on AW as well as on audi diy. look for the coilover instal guide and do the oppisite of removal....your best bet for a spring is to get one from someone here on the boards. i have one for a non sport car (avant, so it may be stiffer) you can have it if you cover shipping. however, you can most likely find a better deal closer to you.
good luck!

Poopie
03-25-2007, 12:14 PM
go to audiworld.com and in the tech section there should be a suspension/coilover right up. Use that as a guide. In a nutshell, unbolt the lower shock bolt that passes through the lower control arm. then unbolt the 4 17mm bolts holding on the strut housing. Wiggle everything out and then compress the springs and unbolt the top bolt and pull it out.

ActiveMonkey
03-25-2007, 12:24 PM
are the springs Sport ot Non-sport?

rdguy
03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I would guess the spring is non sport. The car is bone stock.
Rick

Ewok_Fetus
03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I would guess the spring is non sport. The car is bone stock.
Rick

They have a stock sport susupension. In otherwords, are your struts red or black?

SeanF
03-25-2007, 02:33 PM
i have stock springs if you need them... they are non sport...

rdguy
03-25-2007, 02:37 PM
the shocks are black, and I think there was a pink paint dot on the spring, but I have put the wheel back on so cannot see it now.

It is a 98 A4 1.8T quattro...so what is the suspension type? Sport or non?

Rick

SeanF
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
if the shocks are black, its a non-sport...

ActiveMonkey
03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I have a full set of Non-Sport springs sitting in the garage... If you need them i could ship them too you, you'd just have to pay for shipping...

Might now be as fast as going to the dealer or buying an aftermarket, but definitly cheaper...

rdguy
03-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Active Monkey, I have PM'ed you.

Euro-Tuner
03-25-2007, 05:33 PM
yeah, I got a set of 2.8 springs as well...let me know if you need them, Im not using them, anything to help out a fellow audi owner

Tiluleshpingen
03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I have a full set of Non-Sport springs sitting in the garage... If you need them i could ship them too you, you'd just have to pay for shipping...

Might now be as fast as going to the dealer or buying an aftermarket, but definitly cheaper...

yeah same here just pay shipping