PDA

View Full Version : Fender bender

nizmosx
03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Yesterday comming home from work i got into a little fender bender, or should i say hood bender.

I basically did no damage to her bumper (nissan murano) but my hood buckled and i cracked two tabs on my ecode and cracked the rs4 grill. I already bought a new black hood which is on my car but the hood is going to cost 600 to paint.

I am thinking of just buying a carbon fiber hood instead even though i just bought this hood yesterday.

so i got two questions.

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A BRILLIANT BLACK HOOD FROM ME... and DOES ANYONE KNOW SOMEONE SELLING A USED Carbon Fiber HOOD FOR CHEAP. preferably in socal.

let me know.

ill post pics later tonight. accident was at 2mp. shows how shitty new cars hold up in low impact accidents. funny thing is, i watched a news brief on how cars nowadays are built worse than the older cars, as they cost 3-6 times more in a 2mp accident than cars from the 80s with the black rubber bumpers.

but honestly wtf wants a black rubber bumper. ahaha

azndrunk74
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I need a stock hood, but I'm in Norcal =[.

onemoremile
03-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Cars are not built worse than older cars. They are built to deform in an accident to avoid the G loads that cause internal injuries. Crumple zones cause the car to give it's life for the passengers. Old racecars used to be so rigid and strong that they could just pull the dead guy (usually a massive brain hemorrhage) out and put a new driver in the next day. People are more valuable than cars.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Ironically, I could have used a black hood a few weeks ago and had a Vorsteiner carbon hood shipped from SoCal.

nizmosx
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
im not saying new cars are shitty built. because audis have saved many peoples lives. im talking about the damage repairs after 2mp accidents where NO ONE DIES or gets injured. Daily driving fender benders cost 3-6 times more than cars from the 80s.

but yea that would have been perfect about the hood situation. how much did you pay for the hood by the way.

Alan
03-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Going on what onemoremile said, its all for safety. the older cars weren't designed with crumple zones, and the body would buckle in the weakest point, the cab.

New cars are designed to crumple, and some if not all new cars are designed so the engine folds up under, instead of being pushed back. This causes more damage to the vehicle, but the cab stays in tact, creating a safer situation for the driver/passengers.

Unfortunately, when newer cars are Euros that Cost a shitload to fix, it sort of backfires. Crumple zones only help in a hard-hitting accident.

superman_006
03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Damn Nizmosx, your car has had a ruff year

nizmosx
03-22-2007, 03:34 PM
tell me about it.

this was totally my fault though which makes this situation a little different. i wasnt too mad.

Anyway i found a local shop that will sell me a carbon fiber hood made by seibon. how well do those hoods look fitment wise. anythoughts compared to vis

superman_006
03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I think you just wanted more mods

blackaudia4tk
03-22-2007, 05:34 PM
im on my 3rd hood its the worse design of a hood ive ever seen and it has nothing to do with safety its more that the car is low and the hood takes the abuse rather than the bumper not much ya can do about it..it does make a nice insurance check that way tho! 600 to paint a hood danm i wanna work at that shop

onemoremile
03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
but yea that would have been perfect about the hood situation. how much did you pay for the hood by the way.

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113129

$925 shipped for the hood and grill.

nizmosx
03-22-2007, 06:36 PM
hey guys quick question.

if you were in my situation. would you pay 450 no tax for a brand new seibon carbon fiber hood.

or would you buy an oem painted silver (my color) s4 hood for 400

i dont like carbon fiber but i dont know what to do and dont want to regret this decision later

its not that i dont like carbon fiber but im a fan of oem fit, and if i got carbon i would want to paint it which is also money... unless it was silver carbon which it wont be.

4ringAR
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Cars are not built worse than older cars.
arent new(er) cars not built to last, so to speak. they are built to be more disposable as i think owners now adays tend to only keep their cars for 3-ish years.

i think i read something, somewhere about how they arent built as good anymore.

SoFresh
03-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Id go carbon fiber, but thats just me.

zrowcool
03-23-2007, 05:09 AM
600 to paint a hood? thats insane. I just paid 800 to repair and paint 2 fenders, 2 bumpers, 1 quater panel and 3 doors. Some of these were minor scratches but the doors had creases in them and the fender was hit pretty hard.

nizmosx
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
the reason why its soo expensive is the 10 hours of labor to prep it, to paint the hood top and bottom side, and they have to paint the fenders to match.

i think im gona buy the oem s4 hood. i am not the biggest fan of carbon fitment.

DOES anyone need a brilliant black hood that you know of. its in really good condition and will make your car much faster since it was on mine for a couple days. =P

anyway im gona put it in the clasifieds.