PDA

View Full Version : Black rings?

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Does anybody know were to get some black audi rings for the rear??? or if not how i should go about painting mine?? any help would be greatly appericated [up] [up]

A4_2.8tuner
03-21-2007, 08:47 AM
i dont know of any places to buy them black, most people i have seen have painted them and it turns out great.

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
can i just get a can of high gloss black paint and paint right over the chrome? or should i take some sand paper to them first that way the paint will adhear to something?

nizmosx
03-21-2007, 09:18 AM
First of all pass on the gloss. flat black looks better. =)

What you would need to do is buy a new emblem from the dealer. Scuff it up by sanding most of the chrome stuff out. After the majority of the metalic is gone, pick up a can of flat black paint and give it 3-5 coats. When i painted mine i didnt have to wet sand it because im pretty craft with a spray can but wet sanding may be an option. You wont have to worry about paint chipping so much because you wont really get rocks flying at your trunk like you do with the front bumper. Then stick it on the car. Its going to be hard to just remove your old one, paint it and stick it back on which is why i sugest you get a new one.

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 09:22 AM

What you would need to do is buy a new emblem from the dealer. Scuff it up by sanding most of the chrome stuff out. After the majority of the metalic is gone, pick up a can of flat black paint and give it 3-5 coats. When i painted mine i didnt have to wet sand it because im pretty craft with a spray can but wet sanding may be an option. You wont have to worry about paint chipping so much because you wont really get rocks flying at your trunk like you do with the front bumper. Then stick it on the car. Its going to be hard to just remove your old one, paint it and stick it back on which is why i sugest you get a new one.

ok great..ya well i didnt know what type of black to use...ok well the only reason i was asking is because i was at the car wash the other day and i took the pressure washer and i was cleaning the car and the audi rings flew off lol so i need new ones i realy dont like it without the rings on. um also another question do they come with adheasive? or should i get some and put it on? if so what type should i get?

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 09:23 AM
i would mask the area off and take a 3m scratch pad to them then spray with body matching black paint, unless your car isn't black, in which case just use a gloss black spray paint.

no my car is silver, but the middle of my hood is black and so is my roof...

mike-2ptzero
03-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Dont really have to sand all of the chrome off. You can just do a light sand, then use Bulldog Adhesion Promoter that comes in a spray can and then start doing the paint work(primer and base).

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
ok great...thanks guys

nizmosx
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Dont really have to sand all of the chrome off. You can just do a light sand, then use Bulldog Adhesion Promoter that comes in a spray can and then start doing the paint work(primer and base).

Yea if you dont sand all the chrome off you definately want to primer it. good call. when i did mine i just sanded all the chrome off. for shits and giggles i put 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats of flat black paint. Only problem is it got chipped up from rocks on the hiway so i removed it and put the chrome back on.

but you wont have this issue when its on the trunk.

allshowA4
03-21-2007, 11:29 AM
i know there is a shop that does black chrome work. u just need to send them ur emblem and they will do whatever u want with it. i cant find the link now but i will look some more.

S4 in_lowplaces
03-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Yea if you dont sand all the chrome off you definately want to primer it. good call. when i did mine i just sanded all the chrome off. for shits and giggles i put 2 coats of primer, and 3 coats of flat black paint. Only problem is it got chipped up from rocks on the hiway so i removed it and put the chrome back on.

but you wont have this issue when its on the trunk.

Funny.... i have never noticed this on your car. Weirdd

LateraLex
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
This looks really good in flat black. If you are going to buy a new emblem - let me know and I'll do it with you.

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
This looks really good in flat black. If you are going to buy a new emblem - let me know and I'll do it with you.

hey well im planning on doing it this weekend...just gotta find a place were i can get them cheaper than the dealership...cuz i cant find any online..

Alan
03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
How much do they cost ya at the dealership?

And anyone have pics/photoshop to see what they look like?

onemoremile
03-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't have a picture of black rings but I scotchbrited mine down to a nice brushed look. It is hard to take a good picture of but here it is next to chrome rings. They look just like our stainless fridge and stove.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_3528.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_3531.jpg

SilverBullet
03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
well it will be a differnt look on the front than on the trunk....cuz thats what im gonna do is the one on my trunk

a4cefed
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't have a picture of black rings but I scotchbrited mine down to a nice brushed look. It is hard to take a good picture of but here it is next to chrome rings. They look just like our stainless fridge and stove.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_3528.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_3531.jpg

that looks really good

Alan
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I agree, i think the "brushed" look makes it look much better than the plastic chrome.

Mine were painted black when I got it, [the car] and I like the rings black, but the paints chipping.

BigA1.8T
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
yeah i was gonna paint mine but i dont want to have to repaint a couple months down the road because of rocks or NH weather...