PDA

View Full Version : Update: Installed SPP Electric Fan Kit

ActiveMonkey
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Just installed the SPP Electric Fan Kit. Overall the install was a 5/10. Pretty easy once you get the 8mm Allen head bolt from the back of the fan clutch. Runs very nice and the throttle is a bit more responsive.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/ActiveMonkey/DSC03338.jpg

stevied916
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Nice power steering cooler. Buy why did you replace the stock one?

SeanF
03-20-2007, 03:48 PM
i also have the SPP efk...

i take it they are still selling at a GB price of 150 shipped?

dubiraq05
03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
i want one

JumboBlack1.8
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
What does it do?

TQMB5
03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
all that work and still 2 piece headlights, shame on you

Tiluleshpingen
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
What does it do?

i heard it decreases drive train stress..= more power to the wheels!!!
maybe am wrong

DTMGuy
03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
hey ActiveMonkey did you notice any noise reduction after the install... ??

ct1.8t4me
03-21-2007, 05:22 AM
So all you are doing here is replacing the engine driven fan with an electric one? Simple as taking the fan off the water pump and installing the new one, or is there something else to it?

98a4
03-21-2007, 05:51 AM
i heard it decreases drive train stress..= more power to the wheels!!!
maybe am wrong

Facoty has a cluch driven fan that runs off the serp belts. EFK remove this clutch making it one less item to run off the crank. No serious gains, just a better responce feeling.

SeanF
03-21-2007, 06:05 AM
the SPAL electric fan is muuuch quieter than the stock electric fan... for comparison purposes...

ActiveMonkey
03-21-2007, 07:33 AM
I never really head the original fan, but my music was always way too loud or I was going fast with the windows down. Both fans are linked together so to test it i turned the AC on full blast and waited outside for 10 minutes. The car wouldn't get hot enough for the fand to kick on. So i took it for a quick spin and when i got back you bet they were on. No louder than before... but the car didn't bog at all when they finally did. My temp gauge has never gone above the half-way marker.

The install is really not that difficult, but the damn 8mm Allen head bolt on the rear of the fan clutch assembly was on there so hard I broke my craftsman Allen head wrench. I went back to Sears and they couldn't believe it. Came back, sprayed WD40 and tired it again 15 minutes later. It was still really difficult, but it came out.

No real power gain, but the throttle response is very noticeable.

I threw on a Power Steering Cooler for 2 reasons. 1, my old one had a little nick in it. And 2, this one looks way cooler... [:D]

I don’t know why the GB would be $150. Since they are $150 on SPP's website.....

solowb5
03-21-2007, 09:08 AM
ya i just installed one of these. only complaint is their instructions. i think they need to update it from the one on audiworld. my only concern is how close that fan motor sits to the pulley but i havent seen any whitness marks from a touch down on it yet.

ActiveMonkey
03-21-2007, 09:10 AM
i have about a 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch gap. i too though it was a bit close, but not too bed. My biggest complaint was there's a picture to show you which wires go to which. Well the picture is in BLACK & WHITE! i called and talked to eric i believe who helped me out. Black to brown & red/black to blue. From there it was a sinch.

Quattrocket
03-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I have it too, supposedly a 7-10 horsepower gain. I dont feel it but throttle response is a bit better. plus its a little less strain on the motor. I just bought it cuz I needed something to do. :)

bOOOOstedAudi
03-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I dont see how its worth it. no way you going to get 7-10 hp gain. i highly doubt it with a before and after dyno results

ActiveMonkey
03-21-2007, 11:13 AM
i dont think it'll give you any HP, but you know how durring summer and you run your AC and your car is a tad sluggish.... this prevents that.

When you would normally loose 7-10hp because that damn fan kicked in, now you don't loose anything since it's now electric instead of belt driven.

S4 in_lowplaces
03-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I have it too, supposedly a 7-10 horsepower gain. I dont feel it but throttle response is a bit better. plus its a little less strain on the motor. I just bought it cuz I needed something to do. :)

Doesnt add any hp, helps in throttle response but thats it, you can remove the clutch fan (weight reduction) all together and just run this fan. ALso i hear if you buy the one at pep boys it serves the same purpose and is much cheaper. The benefit of running the EFK is if yoru running a FMIC, which covers a big part of the radiator. Thsi fan covers a much wider cfm. theres a thread on this in the s4 section, thats where i got all this info

solowb5
03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
actually u need to buy the kit bc u can remove the fan unless u have the adaptor piece that is supplied in the kit.