PDA

View Full Version : Help! Drill went through and made a hole... in the radiator?! picture

ki11switch
03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
ok, im in the middle of making my mounting brackets for my FMIC. I was drilling a hole in the brackets, and it went through and hit the radiator. Air and moister shot out for about 30 seconds. CAN I FIX THIS? will my car still run? help please!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/mr_danger/hole.jpg

AudiRacerS4
03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
looks like you need a new radiator

ki11switch
03-19-2007, 05:11 PM
what does a new radiator cost? it there anyway i can seal up the hole?

fred2ka4
03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
So today we learned that we mark the hole and then drill on a work bench. As for the radiator, I think you will need a new one. You could go to your local hardware store and see if some JB weld will seal the hole or some other type of sealant. You can also call your local auto parts store and see if they have some kind of radiator repair kit until you can get your new radiator.

AudiRacerS4
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
ECS has them for $194. BTW why would you drill toward your radiator??

Ewok_Fetus
03-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Ummm, that wasn't your radiator. Nor was that "water mist." That was your A/C condensor and that was R134 you just let out!! Don't turn your A/C on until you fix that either.... That is $199 through ECS

seatown88
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
that looks like you got the air conditioning condensor

AudiRacerS4
03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
would suck if he drilled thorugh both

Starting
03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
that looks like you got the air conditioning condensor

yes that is what he hit. Hopefuly he stopped at that point and did not get to the radiator.

passatkid
03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I have one if you need, shoot me the part number you need.

ki11switch
03-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Ok then it is the air condition condenser. No it didnt go through and get the radiator, it barely hit the air condenser. So, is my AC just not going to work until i replace it? what will happen if i turn it on

ki11switch
03-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I have one if you need, shoot me the part number you need.

i'll get back to you. thanks

speedydragon
03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok then it is the air condition condenser. No it didnt go through and get the radiator, it barely hit the air condenser. So, is my AC just not going to work until i replace it? what will happen if i turn it on

it'll go kaaboom!

rice_Rocket88
03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
You'd get air into your system and further damage your own a/c compressor condenser. Just don't turn it on! Come on.. if you know the stove is hot, don't touch it. Now you know there is a hole in the condenser, what do you think it could do? You have no pressure, no coolant, and no lubrication/circulation.

Car should be fine to drive providing you don't have that thing kick on, or you'll end up replacing more than just that. Once you do replace it, bring it to a shop to evacuate all the water and moisture, and fill it back up with the proper r134a.

bitterchild
03-19-2007, 05:41 PM
you bought yourself a condensor core, and an r134a recharge bill. if you don't fix it right away you will need to replace the lines and compressor as well if you ever want a/c to work. Hope making your own fmic was worth it

theskuh
03-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Hope making your own fmic was worth it

pour some salt on those wounds.

Ewok_Fetus
03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
If you "try" to turn it on, nothing should happen... The low pressure switch should be tripped telling the system there is nothing in there... Therefore the system should not turn on...

passatkid
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
I would not use the defrost also

ki11switch
03-19-2007, 10:47 PM
alright, well this sucks. I looked at it closer today and the drill just hardly nicked one of the lines in the ac condenser. Once i get it fixed or replaced, do i need to get a kit or what for the r134 stuff?

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2007, 10:57 PM
it'll go kaaboom!

heheh stop toying with the fella

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
pour some salt on those wounds.

correction sea salt and tomatoes

20vpower
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
cant only certified ppl handle r134?

98a4
03-20-2007, 05:42 AM
Yeah r134a is bad shit.

Ahaha first took to the 5th person to notice it wasnt the radiator.

Jereme
03-20-2007, 05:45 AM
just as a heads up,beware of the cheap ebay radiators,I thought I was buying one from a trusted shop,cost me 110$ and it started leaking the second I installed it. I've always had good luck on ebay but I guess its hit or miss.

Needless to say I'm pretty pissed and theres no way they'l cover it under their waranty. (nor do I have the time to deal with sending it back to them) I was able to find the hairline crack and seal it up, but it still sucks paying 110$ and having to jimi rig "new parts" .

onemoremile
03-20-2007, 06:19 AM
^^ what brand radiator was that? Nissens?

In case you hadn't noticed, he nicked the AC condensor not the radiator.

a4cefed
03-20-2007, 06:40 AM
so much for a low cost FMIC.

98a4
03-20-2007, 07:13 AM
FMIC didnt cost much, the mental processes that were involved when the decision was made to drill in towards the condensor is what was costly.

blacka4
03-20-2007, 07:41 AM
you do not need to be a certified A/C professional to handle 134a. But this guy will have to take it to a shop so they can suck a vaccum on the system and install the 134a freon and the compressor oil. you can not just put the stuff in because there is no pressure in the system and the compressor WILL not kick on. Yes you can recharge a system by just going to walmart or some other auto parts store and buying those "recharge" kits but in this situation you can't. If you have any questions feel free to PM me

superman_006
03-20-2007, 08:36 AM
I bet that scared the Sh#t out of him. Drilling then propably getting spayed in the face with freon and oil

Jereme
03-20-2007, 08:37 AM
^^ what brand radiator was that? Nissens?

In case you hadn't noticed, he nicked the AC condensor not the radiator.

Actually,I just looked back at the ebay page and there isn't even a name brand on there..

Also, I hadn't noticed he hit the a/c condensor, when I first looked at the post I was using a computer at school and for some reason most of the pictures that people post here dont show up....I think its because they have most of the picture hosting sites blocked.

wood_e
03-20-2007, 08:41 AM
AC condenser....

Did you breather any of that moisture in? That's refrigerant...

bOOOOstedAudi
03-20-2007, 08:57 AM
lol i cant believe you thought that was your radiator. i have ac condensors for about 250 shipped OEM new

ki11switch
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
lol i cant believe you thought that was your radiator. i have ac condensors for about 250 shipped OEM new

im still learning about cars... now i know

So does anybody know how to recharge it them selves? it looks repairable, and im going to fix it up after vacation. and yes, it scared the shit out of me when it happened

superman_006
03-20-2007, 10:18 AM
So does anybody know how to recharge it them selves? it looks repairable, and im going to fix it up after vacation. and yes, it scared the shit out of me when it happened
LOL

I will be impressed if some can repair that for cheaper than a new one.
To recharge after replacing your condenser, you must pull a vacum (-30psi+) on the whole system, the longer the better.
Then you add freon/ refergeant oil, the amount will be listed on a sticker on you core support. If you use the small can, I think they come in 12 oz., you will probably use around 2 cans plus the oil you will add on the low pressure side, dont worry the fittings are idiot resistant your hose should only connect to the Low side. If you use the small cans hold them upside-down when adding the hose and can should get cold (this is normal if means its taking the freon). Gauges are very nice to use. I use the larger snap-on machine and gauges, all you do is type in how much freon and it pulls the vacum and adds everthing automaticly.
The longer you have an open system the more expsensive it will be to fix.

Poopie
03-20-2007, 10:20 AM
you can't do it youself with out the right equipment. take it to a pro.

AudiA4_20T
03-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Im sorry but I dont think a FMIC should have been one of your first DIYs

ProOnThaSnow
03-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Don't be so harsh on the guy, you live and learn. We all were there at one point in time. Now you just get to learn about a/c systems as well as FMICs, lol.

My suggestion would be to take it to a professional shop. You can probably install the condensor yourself, and then just bring it in and have the system charged. Usually runs about $120 or so. Don't pay the labor for someone to install it, as you'll really be paying out the ass then. The sooner you get it done the better.

Hope it all works out for you, and sorry about the luck!

ShawFM
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Low pressure switch will prevent the A/C from turning on.
When you get the new condenser installed the system has to be vacumed out with a vacum pump and then r134a can be added in plus maybe some oil.

ki11switch
03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Im sorry but I dont think a FMIC should have been one of your first DIYs

How do you know this is my first DIY? because it isnt... And the whole instal was fine except for the AC condenser which is just me not thinking.

So i'll get it replaced/ fixed. Then take it in to get it vacum and re-pressured or whatever.

onemoremile
03-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Just so y'all know... Whenever you need to drill to a certain depth just wrap a bit of masking tape around the drill bit. This will prevent it from going past the set depth. There are also depth stops available which are just a simple barrel with a set screw.

http://www.handytools.co.uk/acatalog/KRKJSG-D.jpg

Ewok_Fetus
03-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Or you could also mark where you need to drill on the piece and remove it just in case one of the other methods fail.

ct1.8t4me
03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I know where this guy is coming from - I drilled the lower hanging bars in the same way - toward the radiator/condenser. It was the easiest way to figure out where everything had to line up while making the bracket.

The difference is - I used a piece of plywood in between the bracket and the condenser so as not to have any problems like this...