PDA

View Full Version : Are our axles made of glass?

Wholsea
03-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Its not like I don't have a million miles on this thing, but my front passenger axle as bit the dust...

The boot is totally wasted, I get a "clunk" / "Thud" while I am driving.

Have to wait until a re-manned axles gets in (Not until thursday)

UGH.

KARMANN_20V
03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
with a car of this age(if it is the 98 in ur profile), keeping an eye on the cv boots is a recommended thing.
Or even replace them as a preventive action

Militant-Grunt
03-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Replaced on of mine. As far as I'm concerned the whole car is made out of glass.

98a4
03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
How many miles?
I've replaced 7cv boots in 2 years.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 03:04 PM
How many miles?
I've replaced 7cv boots in 2 years.

YEAH ME 2

Ado
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
mine recently broke too. i might replace them this weekend. dont know.

ActiveMonkey
03-19-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm at ~96000 miles and since i bought the car (65k) i have only needed to replace 1 CV Boot. I'm sure i'll have to do more, but i drive on the broken one for maybe 2k miles?

tunerb5
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
this is my front one......then again this was my fault I guess. [drive]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Rieger_rs4/Photo-0066.jpg

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I have only had to replace 1 CV so far on my 2000 with over 130k miles on it but that CV snapped during a launch at the track.

94jedi
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Wholsea, I used your write up to replace my front pass side axle. you're a pro at it by now...

I just replaced it with a Raxle. I'm sure the others will go soon and when the do, I'll raxle them as well.

speedydragon
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
what's cv boot stand for?

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
^^look at the pic those black cone like rubber are Cv boots. ther is inner and outter Cv boot

mike-2ptzero
03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
what's cv boot stand for?

It is the boot(cover) for the Constant Velocity Joint.

CaSp3r9
03-20-2007, 01:46 AM
I have only had to replace 1 CV so far on my 2000 with over 130k miles on it but that CV snapped during a launch at the track.

There's a big surprise... hahah

Daft
03-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Its not like I don't have a million miles on this thing, but my front passenger axle as bit the dust...

The boot is totally wasted, I get a "clunk" / "Thud" while I am driving.

Have to wait until a re-manned axles gets in (Not until thursday)

UGH.

Was that a re-built axle that just broke? I remember you were very positive on their quality.....

raxles.com.......[;)]

mike-2ptzero
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
There's a big surprise... hahah

Well I have been pretty lucky seing that other people break them during normal driving and others making less power have broken more driveline parts then I have even though I have made more runs down the 1/4 mile(over 6 years in this car).

Only other thing I broke was the rear output shaft, but that was caused by the track being way to sticky(11 others broke front shafts that event) and because my front axle was locking up(wrong steering knuckle).[:(]

LateraLex
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Replaced 0 in 130K miles... but I think one is due.

Wholsea
03-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Was that a re-built axle that just broke? I remember you were very positive on their quality.....

raxles.com.......[;)]

Nope was a factory one. :-D

I could change just the boots, but it takes less time to just replace the half shaft...

hehehehe.

Oh, and I have a write up? Was it just a post or did someone publish it as a write up?

Or do you mean this guy over here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70720&highlight=axle

Wholsea
03-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Okay, so the guy I ordered my half shaft from before no longer works at that shop. So I tried to order one anyway...

Guess that was a mistake. The whole order was a mass of confusion, and in the end I guess it was my own damn fault, needless to say, I thought they had ordered one, but when I called to see if it was in yet, they hadn't ordered it (2 days after the fact)

Not enough time to wait for another one, I called Scooter at PAP-Parts and got just the outer joint. I should have done this in the first place... Scooter you rawk.

Install was pretty straight forward, still messy as all get-out...

Posted how-to over here:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127341

wood_e
03-25-2007, 08:35 PM
I've never broken an axle, but I don't think my 12v makes enough power to do so.

Wholsea
03-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I've never broken an axle, but I don't think my 12v makes enough power to do so.

Mine wasn't broken, the boot broke, and got dirt/water/whatever in the joint which caused it to go bad...

Matt@JHM
03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
This is my buddy jaybquick's axle when he snapped it at the track. Its off an S4 - I'm not sure if they are the same or not.
http://jaybquick.com/Pictures/01Audi/01Audi_BrokenAxle.jpg

mike-2ptzero
03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
This is my buddy jaybquick's axle when he snapped it at the track. Its off an S4 - I'm not sure if they are the same or not.
http://jaybquick.com/Pictures/01Audi/01Audi_BrokenAxle.jpg

I think he has done it twice now. I was there the last time he snapped a front one. I was also at the track when Mike from Wicked Motorsports snapped a rear axle on a S4.

audi_dude
03-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Elitedrumr, is there an ABS sensor ring that goes on the outer end of that axle? When I replaced mine, I took off the old rings, but they don't fit on the replacement axles (the old rings are bigger), and my ABS light is on because the sensors aren't operating. From the looks of the splines on the end of the new axle (which is the same as the ones on your photo), I am wondering if they need a ring at all? Or if the ABS sensors need to be changed to be closer to the splines, etc?

Audi91a4
03-26-2007, 07:12 AM
How much are CV boots?

Matt@JHM
03-26-2007, 07:26 AM
I think he has done it twice now. I was there the last time he snapped a front one. I was also at the track when Mike from Wicked Motorsports snapped a rear axle on a S4.

Yes he's done it twice now. I was there for the second one - and he was my ride back. Luckily, there was a VW and Audi replacement parts down the road and we snagged a couple of axles.

Mike must've had some serious wheel hop if he snapped a rear axle. Those are solid [eek].

And audi_dude, I've passed your question along to jaybquick.

94jedi
03-26-2007, 07:28 AM
honestly, it's almost not worth it to replace just a torn boot. It's sooooo much easier and less messy to replace the whole axle. That's what I did. My boot was torn and it was the messiest job ever just to get the old one out. I can't imagine re-packing all that grease etc....fug that. I'll replace the whole axle everytime.

Wholsea
03-26-2007, 07:40 AM
honestly, it's almost not worth it to replace just a torn boot. It's sooooo much easier and less messy to replace the whole axle. That's what I did. My boot was torn and it was the messiest job ever just to get the old one out. I can't imagine re-packing all that grease etc....fug that. I'll replace the whole axle everytime.

Re-Packing the grease isn't the messy part, the messy part is getting the old one off and cleaning up the mess left behind from the torn boot (Grease all inside the wheel, on the caliper, on the brake rotor, EVERYWHERE)

94jedi
03-26-2007, 07:44 AM
yeah, that was seriously messy....mine threw axle grease all over everthing. it was a disater. I went through de-greaser and CRC (brake clean) like it was water. Oh and about 300 shop towels lol.

jaybquick@JHM
03-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Elitedrumr, is there an ABS sensor ring that goes on the outer end of that axle? When I replaced mine, I took off the old rings, but they don't fit on the replacement axles (the old rings are bigger), and my ABS light is on because the sensors aren't operating. From the looks of the splines on the end of the new axle (which is the same as the ones on your photo), I am wondering if they need a ring at all? Or if the ABS sensors need to be changed to be closer to the splines, etc?

About the reluctor rings. You can see on mine in the picture EliteDrumr posted. It is on the far left with the small rectangle notches in it. The sensors are pulse generators and create an Analog wave form as the notches pass it. So you need to transfer over the rings if yours doesn't have it. I haven't done it on an Audi yet but this procedure has worked for me on a bunch of other makes, I just run used shafts and slap new boots on when I brake them. Just put the shaft on end one something solid to support it. Then work your way around in a star pattern slowly, hammering it off. Use a solid puch or anything solid that won't damage the ring. Then slowly work it on to the new outer joint. Once the ring is off, you can heat it up to get it on easier, make sure you wear gloves.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong and the reluctor rings can't be swapped. If so he just got some really old axles that don't have it. Dunno

How much are CV boots?

I usually get them online for $20.

I disagree. The mess is the worst part. Brakeclean and paper towels make quick work of it, then take it apart. Using bungy cords to hold the spindle out of the way after undoing the top pinch bolt really helps. Did my last one in 45 minutes. Maybe should make a vid. Hmmmm

mike-2ptzero
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM
About the reluctor rings. You can see on mine in the picture EliteDrumr posted. It is on the far left with the small rectangle notches in it. The sensors are pulse generators and create an Analog wave form as the notches pass it. So you need to transfer over the rings if yours doesn't have it. I haven't done it on an Audi yet but this procedure has worked for me on a bunch of other makes, I just run used shafts and slap new boots on when I brake them. Just put the shaft on end one something solid to support it. Then work your way around in a star pattern slowly, hammering it off. Use a solid puch or anything solid that won't damage the ring. Then slowly work it on to the new outer joint. Once the ring is off, you can heat it up to get it on easier, make sure you wear gloves.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong and the reluctor rings can't be swapped. If so he just got some really old axles that don't have it. Dunno

Now I will have to look at mine when I get it back from the shop to make sure the new axle I put in on the front driverside has that ring. Pretty sure it does but always best to just double check.

audi_dude
03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
jaybquick,

I think I made a mistake with my question --- actually my old ones look like the photos Elitedrumr posted, not my new ones. I did take the old rings off, but they don't fit the new CV axles, which have actualy splines/notches/ridges all around in that area. Seems like the notches would eliminate the need for the ring, as the sensor would receive the speed/switching signal directly from the notches. But that section on the new axles are a bit smaller diameter than the old ones, which is why I was wondering if there is a different sensor that would move it inwards (closer to the notches), or perhaps the old sensor can be moved closer to the notches. I need to take it apart and investigate, but if anyone else knows for sure...?

mike-2ptzero
03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
jaybquick,

I think I made a mistake with my question --- actually my old ones look like the photos Elitedrumr posted, not my new ones. I did take the old rings off, but they don't fit the new CV axles, which have actualy splines/notches/ridges all around in that area. Seems like the notches would eliminate the need for the ring, as the sensor would receive the speed/switching signal directly from the notches. But that section on the new axles are a bit smaller diameter than the old ones, which is why I was wondering if there is a different sensor that would move it inwards (closer to the notches), or perhaps the old sensor can be moved closer to the notches. I need to take it apart and investigate, but if anyone else knows for sure...?

What year and model is your car? Because there are 2 different versions of the axle since there are 2 different size knockles and wheel bearings used on the B5.

jaybquick@JHM
03-27-2007, 11:38 PM
What year and model is your car? Because there are 2 different versions of the axle since there are 2 different size knockles and wheel bearings used on the B5.

That is probably what he did. Got the wrong axles.