PDA

View Full Version : atp mani worth it or not.

audi rick
03-19-2007, 11:14 AM
have a gtrs eliminator kit on the car now with stock mani is it worth the money to upgrade to the atp mani? or where can i get the better deal?
what should i exspect frome the up grade?

Poopie
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
i would look into getting the stock on ported and smoothed. People with the atp manifold tell me its a pain in the ass and the runners are almost the same diamter.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Yes is it worth it but I will tell you that will have problem with the manifold bolts backing out. you should tighten them back up as often as every 2 weeks.

audi rick
03-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Yes is it worth it but I will tell you that will have problem with the manifold bolts backing out. you should tighten them back up as often as every 2 weeks.

now way to stop it? what was the gain if any?

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 11:47 AM
i would look into getting the stock on ported and smoothed. People with the atp manifold tell me its a pain in the ass and the runners are almost the same diamter.

umm are we talking about the same thing. the stock EXHAUST manifold is tiny. and imposible to port being that the walls are already thin as it is.
http://ca.geocities.com/versetile1@rogers.com/images/exmanifold.jpg

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 11:49 AM
now way to stop it? what was the gain if any?

not sure of the exhaust gain but think of it as letting you turbo breath better. any ways of make better airflow for a turbo is worth it, expecially being that it isnt a hard thing to do nor is it very expensive being you already have the turbo

audi rick
03-19-2007, 11:50 AM
thats what i have.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
just get one. you will be happy and tighning the bolt isnt car either. locking washings dont seem to work for me

Ewok_Fetus
03-19-2007, 11:56 AM
just get one. you will be happy and tighning the bolt isnt car either. locking washings dont seem to work for me

Red locktite?

audi rick
03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
looks like i may have to check it out then. how does it look on the car? i know i cant realy see mutch but wondered about the fit.

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
All depends on what you are looking for. The stock manifold(smaller volume) will spool up the turbo quicker vs the ATP "stock replacement" manifold which is larger(more volume) but will allow for more flow on the top end. So basicly you will feel a slight shift in power band upward in the rpms with the ATP manifold.

BTW people have been porting out the stock manifold for a long time, I should know because mine was used and showed off at Dyno Spot back in 2001.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 12:05 PM
BTW people have been porting out the stock manifold for a long time, I should know because mine was used and showed off at Dyno Spot back in 2001.

thanks for informing me of that Mike. I did not know they were. Just seems really small to me.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
looks like i may have to check it out then. how does it look on the car? i know i cant realy see mutch but wondered about the fit.

it doesnt look much different on the car

nizmosx
03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
i have been runnning a ported and pollished manifold done by geeboy or whatever his name was on my k04 for at least a year now, no issues or cracks to date. its worth it in my opinion. the atp mani is garbage

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
thanks for informing me of that Mike. I did not know they were. Just seems really small to me.

It is pretty small, but the reason for porting the stock one is to smooth out the angles to allow for better flow. To push it even further you could extrude honed smooth out all of the surface inside the manifold since it is very rough, you can only do so much using a hand tool.

audi rick
03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
called atp they said they dont have one for my car????
i am also thinking high flow cat??
as far as mani i am just woried about it cracking as i have seen before.

Don Supreme
03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
A high flow cat or test pipe will probably yield more of a power gain than switching between those manifolds.

audi rick
03-19-2007, 12:25 PM
cat or test pipe? they are about the same arent they? labree the better way to go? as far as hp is concerned. or am i wrong on this.

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 12:26 PM
called atp they said they dont have one for my car????
i am also thinking high flow cat??
as far as mani i am just woried about it cracking as i have seen before.

That would mean they dont have one for the B5 since all the B5's use the same manifold and I would think it would be the same as the B6 1.8t manifold and there are plenty of people using it on the B6 and B5.

Maybe they just meant they didn't have any in stock.

NUISANCE
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a Kinetic manifold on my Vw. It helped on the bottom end, but that's a but dyno talking. I have not had a problem yet, with the exception of 1 nut, it's too tight of a fit to get it torqued down. Other than that, no problems.

94jedi
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I would say it's not worth the trouble. Get a test pipe or a HFC as Don mentioned. Check the B6 forum. there are alot of problems w/ cracking on that mani as well as well as the nuts backing out.

Don Supreme
03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
My ATP stock location high flow mani bolts backed out two or three times over the 10 or so months I had it and when I took it off to sell it I found a hairline crack @ the bottom. The good news is it had a lifetime warranty and they provided a brand new replacement with no hassle.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-19-2007, 01:42 PM
My ATP stock location high flow mani has the bolts back out two or three times over the 10 or so months I had it and when I took it off to sell it I found a hairline crack @ the bottom. The good news is it has a lifetime warranty and they provided a brand new replacement with no hassle.

damn thats good. not to after warranty thing go as planned

ShawFM
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM

I agree that it is worth it.
Power is shifted higher up, about 2-300 RPM's
No problems with bolts backing out, but more on that:

As far as mine goes I had some additional machine work done to it. I noticed that the ATP casting leaves the surface that the nuts tighten down onto were tapered. I had them made parallel to the gasket surface. This was in hope that it would prevent the studs from getting tweaked/bent when torquing down the nuts. And to ensure that the nuts and the steel washers applied even pressure to the mani. I have not had any problems with the nuts backing off (yet).
After the machine work I also had the mani ceramic coated. If I were to do this part over, Swain Tech ALL the way. About the same price as Jett Hot, but Swain is just a more durable product with a noticible temp drop.
I think I have some pics on AW of the mani work.

NUISANCE
03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
How mush did it run to have it coated? I want to take mine off and have that done.

P5B5
03-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I was quoted a 27whp gain over the stock manifold by atp. That doesnt include any variables - but thats the number they said.

ShawFM
03-19-2007, 06:43 PM
How mush did it run to have it coated? I want to take mine off and have that done.

Each part ran about $60-70 mani, turbo housing, cat, and downpipe. Shipping was about $20 for 2 parts (mani & turbo housing then cat & DP). Jett-hot will do the inside of the mani, Swain will not. But go with Swain I'll take photos now that I have a new digi cam and confirmed that photos are not posted on AW. Check here Tuesday for photo update.

NUISANCE
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Each part ran about $60-70 mani, turbo housing, cat, and downpipe. Shipping was about $20 for 2 parts (mani & turbo housing then cat & DP). Jett-hot will do the inside of the mani, Swain will not. But go with Swain I'll take photos now that I have a new digi cam and confirmed that photos are not posted on AW. Check here Tuesday for photo update.

If could post up some picts, that would be great!

I'll keep checking this to see what the final product looks like.

Tiluleshpingen
03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
where would it be possible ot port/bore our exhaust manifold??

Saturnine
03-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Zing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Saturnine10/IMG_3013.jpg

ShawFM
03-20-2007, 06:58 AM
If could post up some picts, that would be great!

I'll keep checking this to see what the final product looks like.
All of the parts were put on at the same time. The mani and the turbo exhaust housing were flat black, the cat and downpipe with Swain where white. Aside from a slight discoloration where the cat meets the turbo the Swain is unchanged. The Jet Hot smoked and faded a lot in the first few start-ups but after that it remains unchanged.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/cat_turbo.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/cat.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/ATP_mani_middle_nuts.jpg
As you can see here the nuts that are above the runners are a little bit of a problem to get to.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/ATP_mani_cyl_4_nut.jpg
You can see where I had the mani machined so the steel washers & nuts would sit flat on the mani. I am hoping that this helps with the tweaked studs and nuts loosening.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/ATP_mani.jpg
The heat shield could have been trimmed a little more than the 1 centimeter that I did. Oh, well maybe next time.

Don Supreme
03-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Did you pay to have your stock cat coated?

ShawFM
03-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Did you pay to have your stock cat coated?

The cat was actually modified by Anderson Motorsports, and yes I think that was ~$70 to have it coated plus about the same for the downpipe.

EDIT: With that said, those photos were taken this morning 5 minutes after a 1 hour drive. Yes it is that much cooler in there that I have no problem shoving my hands and new camera in there after a drive. It is still hot, but nowhere near as hot as it was when it was uncoated.

soupie69uk
03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
So you guys dont rate the ATP manifold at all with an emliminator? Just a bored out standard one instead?

ShawFM
03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
So you guys dont rate the ATP manifold at all with an emliminator? Just a bored out standard one instead?

More of a cost thing, you can get your stock mani p&p'ed for less than an ATP. The ATP is not bad, flows more and shifts the power further up which is what I wanted from my k04. If I was going eliminator I might try porting the stock mani myself and if I didn't like it then order the ATP mani.
The ATP was a little bit of a hassle to install but I would use it again.