PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Spray Nitrous on their Intercooler?

o0o0
03-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I was considering this mod. I'm just curious if the compression may be affected too much with this setup...If not what kind of power gains should be expected if any?

europshhrc279
03-18-2007, 05:03 PM
curious on this aswell...

BlackB5Avant
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
it is worth while if your intercooler is prone to heat soak, if it stays cool to the touch you wont notice much improvement. the real gain is in it bringing down the intake air temps, that way you can tune for more boost with the same octain/ timing. also look into meth injection, it has the same ideas but is more efficiant. If you do spray your intercooler use c02, i believe it is cheaper.

A4 Sparks
03-18-2007, 05:18 PM
i was also thinking about this, also wanted to know if anyone has used nos on there 1.8t before ?

pac1085
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I have the nitrous express kit sitting in my garage...never installed it on my car. Make sure when you order it to specify that you want a Co2 bottle. CO2 is only about $12 to fill a 10lb tank where as nitrous is around $50. Just make sure it won't get inhaled by your intake (the Co2) that is.

tunerb5
03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I have the nitrous express kit sitting in my garage...never installed it on my car. Make sure when you order it to specify that you want a Co2 bottle. CO2 is only about $12 to fill a 10lb tank where as nitrous is around $50. Just make sure it won't get inhaled by your intake (the Co2) that is.

there si no way it will get inhaled by the itake. You would be spraying the outside of the intercooler, has nothing to do with the intake.

pac1085
03-18-2007, 07:06 PM
there si no way it will get inhaled by the itake. You would be spraying the outside of the intercooler, has nothing to do with the intake.

I know that I'm just saying, if your air filter is near the intercooler it could get sucked in and slow stuff down. (probably not an issue the way our cars are setup)

Bart
03-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I had a meth setup on my RX-8's front mount intercooler (drilled directly inside the IC) and noticed a gain of about 25rwhp on the dyno when spraying. I'm planning on doing the same on my S4... by the way, if you get a standalone engine management you can setup alcohol injection to automatically spray during boost. I tuned my friends STI for meth injection (turboxs utec ems) and setup his rear windshield defogger botton as a toggle on/off switch for his meth. It's pimp.

mike-2ptzero
03-18-2007, 07:14 PM
If using C02 dont spray while the car is running or driving.

I plan on doing a C02 IC setup on my car and will do some dyno testing to see how much of a gain it gets, this will be a custom setup which I have been waiting to do for some time. Just waiting to put it all together and have it installed. I will make sure to post up pics and data of with and without the setup.

Bart
03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
If using C02 dont spray while the car is running or driving.

I plan on doing a C02 IC setup on my car and will do some dyno testing to see how much of a gain it gets, this will be a custom setup which I have been waiting to do for some time. Just waiting to put it all together and have it installed. I will make sure to post up pics and data of with and without the setup.

So than what's the point of spraying at all if it's not during driving? To cool off between runs? Be a rebel and use it like it's supposed to be used... I mean, it's dangerous to use any kind of robust spray system but come on... that's what makes it so much fun [up]

Btw, spray what?

tamadrumr88
03-18-2007, 07:36 PM

i wish it were that cheap. when i play paintball the cheapest place is $3 for 9oz and $5 for 20oz.... who offers these prices? theres nothing special about filling co2 tanks other than maybe an adapter... co2 is co2

A4 Sparks
03-18-2007, 07:43 PM
why wouldnt you spray when running ? and if you dont then whats the point ? and are talking about spraying co2 or nos ? also if you spray co2 on the intercooler can or will it hurt anything ?

pac1085
03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
i wish it were that cheap. when i play paintball the cheapest place is $3 for 9oz and $5 for 20oz.... who offers these prices? theres nothing special about filling co2 tanks other than maybe an adapter... co2 is co2

Local welding supply place. I doubt they'd fill paintball tanks. When you order the nitrous express n-tercooler kit you need to specify if you want a nitrous tank or a co2 tank because they both have different fittings, you can't use an adapter, the fitting on the tank has to be approved for whatever the gas is.

Bart
03-18-2007, 07:53 PM
why wouldnt you spray when running ? and if you dont then whats the point ? and are talking about spraying co2 or nos ? also if you spray co2 on the intercooler can or will it hurt anything ?

Won't hurt anything. However, meth is better because of the fact that it's a quick drying liquid. H2o to o2 = COLD. However, you'll need a pro tune because the actual meth is injected into your intake manifold.

mike-2ptzero
03-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Won't hurt anything. However, meth is better because of the fact that it's a quick drying liquid. H2o to o2 = COLD.

It will hurt power if the C02 is sucked into the intake.

Meth/water injection tends to wash the cylinder walls which can cause damage over time.

Blowing air thru a tube that is frozen = even COLDER[:p]
Plus the fact that water takes up space and cant be compressed or burned.

urS4
03-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Here you go. I am very happy with this setup. I have a 3 position switch on my console that I can use to manually spray the I/C or another position that arms the WOT switch. The third position is off.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/15349Serpentine-med.jpg

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/15349NOS-med.jpg

BlackB5Avant
03-18-2007, 11:07 PM
^ are you spraying co2 or n02? are you injecting meth as well?

Meth/water injection tends to wash the cylinder walls which can cause damage over time.

mike, what do you mean be "wash?" i have been running meth on my other car for about a year and a half with no adverse effects (not full time but at the track and on high boost). this is the first i have heard of a negitive of meth injection.

andernalin_junk
03-19-2007, 01:52 AM
i dont understand something ... why sparing CO2 ? the N2O is allot better no ?
that will take you intake temp allot lower no ?
specialy in very hot country like where live (ISRAEL ) in the summer the temp outside can get up to 40 c

urS4
03-19-2007, 06:26 AM
[QUOTE=BlackB5Avant;1497194]^ are you spraying co2 or n02? are you injecting meth as well?

I'm spraying NO2 only. Any excess gas can make its way to my turbo intake so I don't want any CO2 invasion. If the NO2 gets there then it only helps. I don't use meth or water injection. My FMIC is 24x10.5x4 so it does a great job of cooling esepecially with the NOS chiller and the ducting I have mounted. If I run out of NO2 there is no negative impact other than a loss of cooling. If you run dry of Meth or water then you could have a problem. I have run this FMIC for almost 5 years without the chiller and had no issues. I mounted the chiller last year primarily to use when staging the car at the track. When you're waiting to run, all parts of the engine and underhood stuff can really heat up. Going with a couple of shots of the NO2 gets the intake cooled down in a hurry. I can then switch to the WOT mode for track time.

Bart
03-19-2007, 07:17 AM
I've been hearing from a lot of people that the NOS/CO2 cooling mod is pointless. Small gains, if any. Bigger IC's ftw.

tunerb5
03-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Here you go. I am very happy with this setup. I have a 3 position switch on my console that I can use to manually spray the I/C or another position that arms the WOT switch. The third position is off.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/15349Serpentine-med.jpg

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/15349NOS-med.jpg

I always wondered why some manufacturers put the side plates or ducts on the intercooler core. Does it really help that much?

urS4
03-19-2007, 07:34 AM
I always wondered why some manufacturers put the side plates or ducts on the intercooler core. Does it really help that much?

The idea here is to keep the front of the I/C a high pressure area to force more cooling air through the I/C. If I didn't have the ducts then air would more easily escape around the edges of the I/C. I noticed a 2-3 degree difference in my intake temps in around town driving. There's even more difference on boost.

onemoremile
03-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes it helps that much. That is the proper way to install an intercooler. The A4, S4, RS4, RS6 all have ducts that keep the air channeled through the intercooler. All the air that hits an intercooler should go through it. Any air that slips around it is a wasted opportunity for better cooling.

tunerb5
03-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Yes it helps that much. That is the proper way to install an intercooler. The A4, S4, RS4, RS6 all have ducts that keep the air channeled through the intercooler. All the air that hits an intercooler should go through it. Any air that slips around it is a wasted opportunity for better cooling.

Why won't more manufacturers use them? The only i know of is DUH.

urS4
03-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Why won't more manufacturers use them? The only i know of is DUH.

Its a fitment issue. There is always a limited amount of space behind the bumper cover. The ducting can interfere with the bumper cover.

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Its a fitment issue. There is always a limited amount of space behind the bumper cover. The ducting can interfere with the bumper cover.

If done correctly you can get away without them if the bumper fits close enough to the core causing less air to flow around the core. Another trick is to angle the core so that the top of it is further in front of the bottom, this is something you will see on race cars.

As for the FMIC sprayer I will be taking it a few steps further, just wish I had done it long time ago.

I've been hearing from a lot of people that the NOS/CO2 cooling mod is pointless. Small gains, if any. Bigger IC's ftw.

It depends on how you use it.

i dont understand something ... why sparing CO2 ? the N2O is allot better no ?
that will take you intake temp allot lower no ?
specialy in very hot country like where live (ISRAEL ) in the summer the temp outside can get up to 40 c

Both do the exactly the same thing which is to cool anything down as it passes over the part. The difference is that C02 should never be used to spray something as the car is being driven. Some people use C02 on a Air to Water setup for drag racing, this freezes the core which really drops the IAT's and makes the air much denser as it enters the intake manifold.

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
^ are you spraying co2 or n02? are you injecting meth as well?

mike, what do you mean be "wash?" i have been running meth on my other car for about a year and a half with no adverse effects (not full time but at the track and on high boost). this is the first i have heard of a negitive of meth injection.

It tends to clean the cylinder and piston top, the "wash" happens because it loosens the oil that is on the cylinder walls which is keeping a thin layer of oil between the wall and rings, this then increases friction. If you are using it only a litte at a time the effect wont be as great as if used all of the time.

BlackB5Avant
03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
It tends to clean the cylinder and piston top, the "wash" happens because it loosens the oil that is on the cylinder walls which is keeping a thin layer of oil between the wall and rings, this then increases friction. If you are using it only a litte at a time the effect wont be as great as if used all of the time.

thats interesting, even with all the oil vapor going through the pcv valve?

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 12:24 PM
thats interesting, even with all the oil vapor going through the pcv valve?

That vapor gets burned and pushed out the exhaust.

NUISANCE
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I am. Does it make a difference, I can say it does with heat soak. I was on the dyno and the intake temps started to rise so I turned it on and they dropped down and I got about 10hp. I use it on the track too, but does it help there I don't know.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/669711/HDVJR-100_1042.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/669711/CSDMH-burn5.JPG

mike-2ptzero
03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I am. Does it make a difference, I can say it does with heat soak. I was on the dyno and the intake temps started to rise so I turned it on and they dropped down and I got about 10hp. I use it on the track too, but does it help there I don't know.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/669711/HDVJR-100_1042.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/669711/CSDMH-burn5.JPG

Just have to figure out if the added weight is worth that 10hp.

NUISANCE
03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I need all the help I can get.

ki11switch
09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
where is the best place to get this kit if i already have the bottle?

A4Rob
09-17-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm planning on doing the same on my S4... by the way, if you get a standalone engine management you can setup alcohol injection to automatically spray during boost.

You dont need a standalone to do this. I am running water/ meth injection on my a4. It runs off of vac

(This is for water/meth injection, not C02 spraying on the FMIC)

DGAFxxx
09-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Anyone in here spraying nitrous into there intake or with their fuel?

pipe7284
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
where is the best place to get this kit if i already have the bottle?

x2

i also have a NOS bottle that my brothe had on his GLI before. ITs been sitting in my room for quite a while, and i want to give it some use. i would like to spray my intercooler as well.

trademark
09-18-2007, 06:04 AM
where those bottles customly painted?

Yaktizzle417
10-23-2007, 07:16 AM
I dug this thread up on search, so pardon me for reviving a dead thread.

Where can I find an No2 sprayer kit for an FMIC?

I'm going GT28RS this winter, and want to get all of my supporting mods done first. How hard would it be to wire a 3pt switch like UrS4? I do a lot of cruises that last upwards of 3 to 7 hours in extremely curvy and demanding environments, with little time to cool. My sidemount simply isn't cutting it anymore. My trunk is already stripped and I'm losing my front seats for some Corbeau's, so the added weight won't affect me much at all, if any.

Thanks for the help!

mike-2ptzero
10-23-2007, 07:35 AM
A few companies sell it.

Nitrous Express
DEI
Edelbrock