PDA

View Full Version : 75 MPH Shake.....alignment?

NogaroA4
03-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok so I recently took off my s4 wheels mounted with my blizzack tires. They provided a nice ride, but I only like to use them during winter conditions.

I put on 18" Falken Koblenz with some cheap tires. I ran this setup last year and don't remember any problems.

This time I was driving back to school, and I would have a smooth ride up till about 60-65, then I would get a shake in the whole car which wasn't unbearable, but something I didn't notice with my s4 wheels. I replaced my control arms over the summer and had an alignment done. I also rebalanced my Falken wheels before I put them on.

My question is, does this sound like my wheel balancer is off, or more of an alignment issue.

Also does those little plastic rings that help guide the wheels on the hub make a difference if I don't have two of them on?

AudiRacerS4
03-18-2007, 04:33 PM
sounds like your wheels need to be balanced

onemoremile
03-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Those little rings are hubcentric rings and center the wheels on the hubs. They are probably the root of your problem. You can try loosening the lugs about 1-2 turns and shaking the wheel by hand. Slowly tighten a lug while wiggling the wheel back and forth with the other hand. The goal is to tighten the lugs slowly and evenly so that they pull the wheel back into center. It is no substitute for hubcentric rings but it may get you by for a bit.

lud
03-18-2007, 04:54 PM
same thing is happening to my girlfriends car but its more like at all speeds, i replaced the control arm bushings and got it aligned, althougjh could it be related to the front suspension that isnt too stiff ? Anyways she has a set of cheap winter tires too.

BlackB5Avant
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
also check your air pressure, tires will loose about 1 psi per month. a low tire will cause a vibration in some cases.

Calabria
03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
same with my car, but my shakes a little past 80. pretty sure its my alignment/balance. plus, it doesnt help that my rear tires are a little blad on the inside edge

ibew5audi
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Tires rolling in same direction as before? I got the 80 shake w/beat up snowtrakkers. Put hubcentrics on front if not there already (you probably did that).

werksmini
03-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Have you been driving in snow? I was today and found some in the wheel that was making it shake a ton over 70. I got it out and it drives fine now.

TunaRollZ
04-01-2007, 11:31 AM
get your wheels balanced.

Qwert302
04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
A balance job can do you wonders. You need an alignment if the car veers when you take your hands off the wheel/when braking hard. Take it to a tire shop, you won't regret it. They may tell you they need to reset the SAS (steering angle sensor) if you get it aligned; which may or may not be true. If the alignment was over 1 degree off you probably should but less than that it isn't a big deal (so I've heard). If you have a VAG-com you can reset it yourself.

dubiraq05
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
balance!

BING
04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
My A8 does it now at 82-87 mph, i found the tie rod end on passenger side is washed out,just did both on the A4 a month ago and all is well there now, but i do have tire wear leading to a balance issue from a bad rod end ...

A4_2.8tuner
04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
like everyone has pretty much already stated. its gonna be either your hubcentric rings, or the balance of the wheels. as far as i know an alignment wouldnt really cause a shaking...more uneven tirewear and pulling to the left or right.