PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Kit Install - Question

A415
03-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Would I need to get an alignment after installing both rear and front?

so.cal.sparky
03-18-2007, 04:24 PM
no , i would not do the front it is not needed un less you like the under steer

damionphillips
03-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Swaybars reduce body roll, stiffen/preload the suspension, and generally give it a nice, tight feel. Problem is, our cars (b5-b7) are ALL front heavy. So further tightening and preloading the front exacerbates the front weighting. If you really want quality handling, just do the rear bar, and see how it feels with turn-in. For grins & giggles, go back in a month or 2 to install the front bar. I promise, you'll despise the understeer the front bar places on your ride.

BshpsA4
03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Does the ride comfort and/or quality degrade from going from a stock B6 A4 rear bar to a RS4 22mm bar? Is it possible to have the bar be "too thick" to where it reduces the ride comfort? I've got a choice between the S4 20mm and the 22mmRS4 bar...should I stick with the RS4 as I planned?

Thanks guys--and girls of course!

<-- newb at suspension

A4Mode
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
The ride quality didn't change much when I installed my 22mm bar. Everything just feels "tighter."

ny02s4
04-15-2007, 08:08 AM
The ride quality didn't change much when I installed my 22mm bar. Everything just feels "tighter."

+1

after I installed my Neuspeed 19mm RSB/brackets the first thing i noticed was the car felt alot tighter (a good tighter) in turns and that was with my stock suspension.

quattrotman
04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
My buddy put H sports on and the car is noticably stiffer than mine with just the Rs4 rear. It is stiffer and does impact the ride but not in a harsh way like stiff springs/shox.

ironduke
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
is this "noticeably stiffer", "tighter" etc. felt even at slower speeds and slower turns etc.? i don't track my car, my sport package suspension doesn't feel springy to me, and i don't think i even notice any understeer with the way/roads i drive (mostly highways).

while this seems like a straighforward mod i can do, i get the feeling it would be lost on me. considering my mostly placid/straight-line driving habits, would i get anything out of a stiffer rear swaybar?

heliskyr
05-04-2007, 01:07 AM
I have H-Sports F&R (with the rear on the "soft" setting) and they dramatically reduced the body roll and understeer. It's just much flatter in the turns. I can still make the car understeer when pushed hard, but at higher speeds than before the H-Sports.

I could tighten it up even more by putting the rear on the stiffer setting, but don't see the need.

One caveat: since sway bars reduce the amount of wheel independence, be careful on hitting bumps one-wheel at a time (like at an angle). I broke a c-shaped coupling that connects the sway bar to the rest of the front suspension this week as I headed down a steep parking ramp. The ramp transitioned abruptly from level to steep, and as I approached it at an angle, my left front wheel dipped before the right, and SNAP! Car was still driveable but got it fixed in a couple of days for $285 (2 sheared bolts, 1 C coupling + labor). I was only going about 8mph when this happened. Go figure!

pms
05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
"C coupling" a.k.a. endlink