PDA

View Full Version : Question for testpipe users

ct1.8t4me
03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I just installed the ATP 3" testpipe and I have a question about some exhaust sounds. At first it seemed as though I had a leak, but when I inspect the gasket area I don't see any tell-tale signs of a leak like soot or burning of the gasket. If I drive close to a building or jersey-barrier, when I get on the gas hard, I hear something different in the exhaust note. If I rev the engine with no load, I don't hear it regardless of the how high I get the revs. Could this be additional noise from the wastegate beginning to open that I am hearing?

Stock K03 turbo, ATP 3" testpipe, 2.5" custom exhaust with a DynoMax muffler at the end - no resonator.

Any ideas? Did people start hearing their wastegates when they went to TPs or gutted cats?

Thanks!

Nor_Cal_Driver
03-15-2007, 11:32 AM
It's the sound of trees dieing and the burning of the hole in the ozone form the tp.

J/k, I have no idea.

How did you like the gain?

TQMB5
03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
not just added turbo sound? that would explain why you dont hear it under load, but im sure you know what that sounds like

dolphin3
03-15-2007, 11:53 AM
hey im from ct where did you get your custom exhaust and fmic from?

pac1085
03-15-2007, 12:13 PM
When I had a K04 with the ATP 3" test pipe I thought I had a leak too but there wasnt. I posted on AW about it and other people reported similar sounds. Not sure what it is but im assuming its normal.

Hootie
03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I have the same problem. My 99.5 is all stock with just an APR chip, and ATP test pipe. It gets very annoying at times, wondering if it is the same with a HFC????? It is a very weird noise like a very low tone droning noise. Mine is not all the time, it is very random.

azndrunk74
03-15-2007, 02:48 PM
It's normal, the testpipe is just a hollow pipe so any sounds made from the turbo will just be more audible than before. Mine was pretty annoying too.

AudiRacerS4
03-15-2007, 03:07 PM
normal

onemoremile
03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Normal.

ct1.8t4me
03-16-2007, 05:17 AM
hey im from ct where did you get your custom exhaust and fmic from?

I got the custom exhaust from Meineke in Derby, CT - It was $220 for the tubing and labor, and bought the muffler from Advanced Auto for about $80.

The FMIC I did myself - look for the giant 10 page FMIC DIY thread somewhere on the first 2 or 3 pages.

ct1.8t4me
03-16-2007, 05:20 AM
OK - thanks everyone for the input. That friggen thing was a pain in the ass to get on (and the cat off), and I didn't want to have to deal with a damn leak. I expected the tone to change (and it did), but I didn't expect the other noise. Now that I think about it, it's more of a raspy sound than anything when I get on it.

All in All - I am really enjoying it. Unfortunately (yeah right), I did the FMIC install and the ATP TP at the same time so I can't really comment too much on the gains because I did them both at once - but I tell you this, the car is a LOT more drivable now. It just seems to GO effortlessly.