PDA

View Full Version : Coilover options - opinions needed

quattro pro
03-14-2007, 08:55 AM
In your opinion, are H&R coilovers worth the extra $$ over say Koni coilovers?

Discuss.

Thanks.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
id say ditch both and go with KW and if you feel the need to spend money get the V3.

urS4
03-14-2007, 09:36 AM
What about the Bilstein PSS9S?

98a4
03-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Pss9's are great, but I'll die by my KW's. Hands down.

AUD-A4
03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
whats so special about the KW's over any other?

bOOOOstedAudi
03-14-2007, 09:40 AM
K W is H A R D CO R E

AUD-A4
03-14-2007, 09:42 AM
hahaha,but anything more special about them? hmm,maybe i should search then ask,sorry for the newb move!!!

loustylez
03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
got PSS9's on my 2.8 and i couldn't be happier.

A4pilot
03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
where is the best price for the KW'S? I am looking for FWD setup for a 98 1.8t

ExpLlclT
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
KW V2 or 3 FTW my konis are more street oriented but if you want that feel go for that

Ado
03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
i just order stasis coilovers

onemoremile
03-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I had KW V1 Inox coilovers. They were great on the track and initially felt like a great improvement on the street but they got old fast. After a few months the car would shake and shudder over every bump. The CD changer would skip on freeway expansion joints.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_2186.jpg

Anyone looking at the Bilstein PSS9 needs to read startupracing.com's dyno report and review.
http://forums.audiworld.com/suspension/msgs/1121.phtml

recognize408
03-14-2007, 08:29 PM
my past experiences (not with audi's) has always been Tein.

dannslc
03-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Look into 2bennett coilovers. I really like how mine are performing. They will set them up however you might want them.
2bennett.com

4ringAR
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Look into 2bennett coilovers. I really like how mine are performing. They will set them up however you might want them.
2bennett.com

are they seriously only $800?![:)]

dannslc
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Not Sure. Call them and tell them what you want. They are very easy to deal with.

Squarrl
03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I called them before, its not $800... they said about 1600 which is for Koni shocks and custom springs.

burner799
03-15-2007, 01:37 AM
After talking to some local guys who race cars and own a bmw track car as well as some dinan cars, I'd say coilovers are not worth shit on a street car. They took out the H&R coilovers and installed lowering springs with proper dampening for their street cars. Coilovers are designed so the weight on each corner is perfectly balanced. To get them set up correctly you need 4 scales, a lot of time, and some major skills. Installing coilovers the same was as you would swap a regular suspension will cause different corners of the car to be unbalanced...even if it is not by much, still defeats the purpose. Not worth it just to be able to tweak your ride height every once in a while.

onemoremile
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Springs and struts aren't exactly corner balanced. Neither is a corner balanced car with a passenger or a different fuel level than what it was balanced with. Still, it doesn't make a huge difference. I've tracked before and after balancing and the difference was pretty minor. If you're actually competing then it makes sense to chase that last second but it just doesn't matter if it is all for fun.

98a4
03-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Reason I love my KW's is I'm one of the lowset b5's you will see daily driven. 40k miles on them now and 3 winters never maintained or cleaned. I relowered the car yesterday after all winter, and they spun by hand first try. H&R, Koni, no way they tend to rust in the threads after about 2 years. My ride is great, prob 30k miles at <24" ground to fender.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Reason I love my KW's is I'm one of the lowset b5's you will see daily driven. 40k miles on them now and 3 winters never maintained or cleaned. I relowered the car yesterday after all winter, and they spun by hand first try. H&R, Koni, no way they tend to rust in the threads after about 2 years. My ride is great, prob 30k miles at <24" ground to fender.

i dunno man my car is pretty damn low. but then again it so hard to drive i only play on the weekends. either way i love my kw's. get kw coils with a nice grippy tire and you will loose you mind with how much control you have on the car

98a4
03-15-2007, 08:59 AM
i dunno man my car is pretty damn low.

Haha, I know it is. Mine is DAILY DRIVEN in the state of PENNSYLVANIA.

BTW boosted, I have a challenger for your girlfriend [:D]

bOOOOstedAudi
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Haha, I know it is. Mine is DAILY DRIVEN in the state of PENNSYLVANIA.

BTW boosted, I have a challenger for your girlfriend [:D]
No chalengers for me. I'm taking a break from the girlfriend thing for a while. anyway when I track the car I usually have to lift it up

quattro pro
03-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Any opinions on KW Silverlines?

Thanks guys [az]

bOOOOstedAudi
03-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Any opinions on KW Silverlines?

Thanks guys [az]

Oddly enough I have never heard of them. link or pics

bOOOOstedAudi
03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
ohh you mean FK silverlines

98a4
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
No chalengers for me. I'm taking a break from the girlfriend thing for a while. anyway when I track the car I usually have to lift it up

Sorry to hear that.

FK's are alright. They do hold up better then any Koni or H&R i've seen. But for the price of all these, its clear to me...

KW's or PSS9's no questions.

bOOOOstedAudi
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear that.

FK's are alright. They do hold up better then any Koni or H&R i've seen. But for the price of all these, its clear to me...

KW's or PSS9's no questions.

NO NOT BREAKING UP LOL JUST NOT DOING THE PICTURE THING LOLOLOLOL

onemoremile
03-15-2007, 10:10 AM

My KW's never spun by hand even with them on the workbench. I always mounted one end in the vice and used the wrench.

How is it possible to have a great ride with almost no suspension travel? The lower the car the worse the ride quality. I've had it at several different heights and closer to stock sport is by far the best ride quality. As the car gets lower the suspension geometry gets worse and the car has to absorb the same amount of impact in less space. Try to absorb the same impact with 4" of travel versus 2" of travel. One is obviously going to be worse. There are no two ways about it.

Rosati
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Now that we are on topic, I need opinions of ECS tuning Coilover kits, are they alright or what?

Im not looking to adjust that much, just get a nicer drop, if you dont know, im unsatisfied w/ the Spring drop and should have listened to my guys on here before ....

But i will be buyiing them probably regardless.....heh ... unless i see a used coilover sys.

98a4
03-15-2007, 10:15 AM
My KW's never spun by hand even with them on the workbench. I always mounted one end in the vice and used the wrench.

How is it possible to have a great ride with almost no suspension travel? The lower the car the worse the ride quality. I've had it at several different heights and closer to stock sport is by far the best ride quality. As the car gets lower the suspension geometry gets worse and the car has to absorb the same amount of impact in less space. Try to absorb the same impact with 4" of travel versus 2" of travel. One is obviously going to be worse. There are no two ways about it.
Glad to hear THAT boosted.

Your thinking into it to much. Dump some Ground control coils and compare them to my KW's.

Reworded: My ride is great for being so low. I have no bounce and the ride isnt jerkey and uncomfortable.

Generally the lower you go, the more bounce you get damping adj or not.

onemoremile
03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm not thinking into it too much. I'm speaking from experience. My engineering background and the race chief that helped setup my car may have also had something to do with it.

That is my car on a set of Longacre scales 3 years ago. It has been balanced more than once. I've tracked the car with at least 4 different ride heights and drove each height on the street. Lower = rougher.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174IMG_1509-med.JPG

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174IMG_1508-med.JPG

98a4
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
2 types of people who get coil overs.

Those who use them for their intended purpose.
Those who use them for a desired visual appeal.

T28_A4
03-15-2007, 10:46 AM
whats the best way to tell if your shocks are bad? I know theres the bounce test, anything else

bOOOOstedAudi
03-15-2007, 11:54 AM
2 types of people who get coil overs.

Those who use them for their intended purpose.
THATS MEE

loustylez
03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
oh yah i totally put PSS9's on my daily driver that won't get to a track that often. waste of money? probably. regret it? eh... sometimes, but not really. learn from it? definately. i could have gotten the same results, which mostly i was just looking for a drop, and payed about half. but i also am glad i put the money where it counts.