PDA

View Full Version : Very pissed!! Car (transmission) died again

tontod
02-24-2007, 05:53 PM
For those of you who remember, about a couple of weeks ago, my tranny (tip) gave out on the highway. I had it trailered to NJ @ levelten. I went there to pick up the car, and guess what, 80 miles from levelten, my car died on the Merritt Parkway in CT [mad] [mad]

I paid just about 8k which included a stg 3 tranny, replaced worn out gears, higher stall torque converter. I am so mad, I am going to call them on Monday, demand they fix the problem and they have to pay for towing from my parents place in CT where the car is right now. I had to call AAA on the highway to get it towed, had to wait 2 hours for the tow truck to show up on top of that.

The way it died was similar to the 1st time, I hit the brakes because someone merged in front of me, as I stepped on the gas (slowly) to accelerate, the rpm's immediately jumped into redline. This time, the car wont move in any gear. Last time when it died, 1st and 2nd gear appeared to be working. Something locked up this time, I guess.

Any advice/tips?

02-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your car.
I guess the only thing you can do for the time being is wait till monday and contact them. Thats a lot for upgrading a tip.
Good luck

bOOOOstedAudi
02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
How You Got Some Type Or Warranty

tontod
02-24-2007, 06:06 PM
How You Got Some Type Or Warranty

I totally forgot to ask them about warranty, but I saw on their webpage it said 90 days warranty on parts. I am going to go for warranty on the entire purchase price plus the tow seeing that I died on the highway less than 100 miles on the new tranny.

Burntaudi
02-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Give them a chance to take care of it before totally flipping out on them. They are a stand up company from what I understand.

sean1.8t
02-24-2007, 10:47 PM
$8000 [eek]

AudiRacerS4
02-25-2007, 07:46 AM
^^^ agree 8k wtf

AudiRacerS4
02-25-2007, 07:47 AM
you could have done a manual swap for that

Mr.Black
02-25-2007, 08:01 AM
well i may be wrong but it dosent sound like a prob with something they fixed...
they/you took all the steps ness to make that tranny bulletproof. but this sounds like its not a physical prob but rather electrical. maybe somthing in the ABS? or TCU which L10 didnt touch right? heres a lil backround... tow driver once told my mom (2000 ford focus) that the reason here tranny wouldnt go into gear was cuz ford made it so you couldnt drive if all your brake lights were blown out. turned out to be tcu. crazy? maybe but Audi wouldnt want you driving with the ABS going nuts. just a thought. hope it all wokes out.

2001S4NY
02-25-2007, 08:21 AM
For those of you who remember, about a couple of weeks ago, my tranny (tip) gave out on the highway. I had it trailered to NJ @ levelten. I went there to pick up the car, and guess what, 80 miles from levelten, my car died on the Merritt Parkway in CT [mad] [mad]

I paid just about 8k which included a stg 3 tranny, replaced worn out gears, higher stall torque converter. I am so mad, I am going to call them on Monday, demand they fix the problem and they have to pay for towing from my parents place in CT where the car is right now. I had to call AAA on the highway to get it towed, had to wait 2 hours for the tow truck to show up on top of that.

The way it died was similar to the 1st time, I hit the brakes because someone merged in front of me, as I stepped on the gas (slowly) to accelerate, the rpm's immediately jumped into redline. This time, the car wont move in any gear. Last time when it died, 1st and 2nd gear appeared to be working. Something locked up this time, I guess.

Any advice/tips?

You could have done a manual swap for way way cheaper then that amount of money, and not have to worry about the auto transmission dying. Even a S4 6 Speed swap would of been cheaper then that. [wrench]

Mr.Black
02-25-2007, 02:05 PM
^^^^
theres nothing wrong with an tuned TIP that can handle high power like the level 10 will. you will never be able to shift faster or have the 100% hands on controll at high speeds like that a tip or paddle shift would offer... why do you think all WRC cars and F1 cars use em? most new ferrari's and lambo's are going that way too... dude it's the future

badassbaldie
02-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Or even bought a manual A4 with about $3000 in mod money...

AudiRacerS4
02-25-2007, 02:23 PM
^^ very true as well

sean1.8t
02-25-2007, 02:27 PM
why do you think all WRC cars and F1 cars use em? most new ferrari's and lambo's are going that way too... dude it's the future

true, but there is nothing like shifting your own gears.. i've driven paddle shifters and i honestly don't like them..

maybe the ones in ferrari's and lambo's are fun

sean1.8t
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM

no, he could have done a 2.7t motor and 6 speed swap for around that price..

but im not making the guy feel any better so ill stop talking now

AudiRacerS4
02-25-2007, 03:57 PM
haha

audiness
02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
8,000 $ are you mad!!!??

tontod
02-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah, could have done a manual swap. Added up to a lot after taxes, labor, etc.

Mawhitey
02-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Keep us posted, i am interested how this turns out

nrosei4
02-26-2007, 05:19 AM
^^^^
theres nothing wrong with an tuned TIP that can handle high power like the level 10 will. you will never be able to shift faster or have the 100% hands on controll at high speeds like that a tip or paddle shift would offer... why do you think all WRC cars and F1 cars use em? most new ferrari's and lambo's are going that way too... dude it's the future

I hope you are not comparing an automatic transmission to a SMT or DSG - they are nothing alike.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
02-26-2007, 06:50 AM
^^^^

Actually DSG is the future not tiptronic...

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
02-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I hope you are not comparing an automatic transmission to a SMT or DSG - they are nothing alike.

didn't even reach this before i replied above...
DSG is the future and what they use on those highpower output race cars.
And it's nothing like tiptronic which is still a ***matic...

Militant-Grunt
02-26-2007, 07:40 AM
no, he could have done a 2.7t motor and 6 speed swap for around that price..

but im not making the guy feel any better so ill stop talking now

^^ I was about to say the same thing. Jesus, 8 grand?! You got bent over backwards buddy.

Mr.Black
02-26-2007, 04:40 PM
no i agree DSG/SMT are the future.... i just ment clutchless shifting in general. and sure it's fun to shift (i do daily). but .02 sec shift isnt happening w/ a taditonal stick.

tontod
02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
I talked to Mike at levelten this morning, told him about it. I'm going to send the car to them tomorrow morning, Mike said he'd pay any overages on the towing. I got AAA Plus, its 110 miles, I got 100 miles, so he'll have to pay $40. He said he'll take a look at it as soon as he gets it. He said any costs will be covered since I'm under warranty.