PDA

View Full Version : JHM solid shifter. My review.

dukez
02-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I got my JHM solid shifter the other day and the thing is awesome. SOLID is pretty much the only word that describes it. I'm replacing a stock (pushdown) shifter, so its a HUGE difference. Hell this morning i still tried to push the shifter down before putting it in R (im converted to non-pushdown now). It'll take me a while to adjust. [;)]

I like how it retains the stock shifter height, and the throws are perfect, I'm fond of the 2 3 shift myself. It's well worth the money. [up][up]

[wrench]

Nukkah03
02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
where did u get it and how much??

SeanF
02-23-2007, 09:01 PM
check the gb section...

is any shifter really worth 269?

Calabria
02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
is it easier to find the gears? think your 0-60 time dropped?

94jedi
02-24-2007, 06:55 AM
check the gb section...

is any shifter really worth 269?
yikes, I didn't know it was that much. I think I'll pass on it and keep my ebay B&M knock-off. Plus I like the lowered shifter height the b&m gives.

dukez
02-24-2007, 09:23 AM
$269 price is for the pushdown converter shifter. If you already have a non-pushdown, the shifter is a bit less, plus theres currently a -$20 coupon going on in the GB on top of that. You guys need to go watch the videos and read up on the website, this is just not a shifter. It completely replaces your shifter housing, not just throwing a shorter pole in there. I've driven other short shifters (not particularly Audis) but i hate the short shifter height of them, they feel funny, thats why i held out on the other shifters out there. Honestly though, the pricing is very competitive, plus you get a lot more with JHM's.

The gears are easy to find. With the stock shifter, sometimes i had to look down and wonder if i was in 5th or 3rd, haha, maybe thats just me. With this though, it's very easy to know where you are. Faster to 60? Probably not, or maybe so, i can't really say. If you like to row hard though, this shifter will better accommodated you for getting to 60 really fast. [;)]

And in conclusion, I like it, Chard likes it (he had another SS replaced i believe), and whoever else bought one will also like it. They will. [drive]

onemoremile
02-24-2007, 09:30 AM
No shifter will get you to 60 any quicker unless you frequently miss gears or are intent on destroying the synchros. The real benefit is in the precision feel and the ability to slot right into the center of a gear rather than hitting the gate and deflecting into the slot with a bendy lever.

My V&S SS is at the stock height. It doesn't replace the parts around the ball which is the nice thing about Jay's shifter. What makes a short shifter is the shorter throws not the shorter rod. That little piece at the very bottom is what changes the length of the throws. That hole placement is everything. Folks have redrilled their stock shifters and gotten the shorter throws but the rod is still flexy and the drilled part becomes weaker.

mike-2ptzero
02-24-2007, 10:03 AM
No shifter will get you to 60 any quicker unless you frequently miss gears or are intent on destroying the synchros. The real benefit is in the precision feel and the ability to slot right into the center of a gear rather than hitting the gate and deflecting into the slot with a bendy lever.

My V&S SS is at the stock height. It doesn't replace the parts around the ball which is the nice thing about Jay's shifter. What makes a short shifter is the shorter throws not the shorter rod. That little piece at the very bottom is what changes the length of the throws. That hole placement is everything. Folks have redrilled their stock shifters and gotten the shorter throws but the rod is still flexy and the drilled part becomes weaker.

Jay is also working on removing the slop in the linkage. Cant wait to try out his new shifter since it should be already installed in my car by the time I get it back from 034.

A good short shifter will decrease the chance of a missed shift and the problem with most SS's on the market is that they tend to feel notchy which actually increases the chance of a missed shift.

Eurotuned_A4
02-24-2007, 10:22 AM
im gonna get this short shifter

onemoremile
02-24-2007, 11:30 AM
the problem with most SS's on the market is that they tend to feel notchy which actually increases the chance of a missed shift.

The APR (APR installed too) short shifter in the S4 feels like that. Like the mechanism is filled with gravel.

jaybquick@JHM
02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Nice to see more feedback on my shifters.

The pushdown reverse shifters are $269.99 (due to a conversion to non-pushdown) and the NON pushdown reverse shifters are $229.99

The $20 off coupon is still available through tomorrow evening. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120561