PDA

View Full Version : Considering a 97 TQMS

KARMANN_20V
02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey folks, I posted the below text on the Vortex, but no answers so far.
Part1

I am currently driving a 2003 Passat 1.8TM that is a lease. Lease is up in October of this year and my options are either lease a GTI Mk5 or get a used car for ~$10K CAD. I always liked the B5 body style, would like a 2000 TQM that I can drive daily, possibly get a BT upgrade on it and have some 4wheel fun
Well if I do my homework and get a maintained mid to high mileage A4 1.8T, would it be a bad ideea to upgrade to a GT28 R/RS along with a Milltek exhaust?
The whole package sounds extremely good, having an AWD 250+ HP Audi for 11-14K Cad, but I want to hear similar vehicles owners oppinions, maybe some of you have done exactly the same thing, experiences?

Part2

Related to the quote ebove, I know someone's friend that has a 97 TQM/Sports package - cloth int, with s-roof, 66K miles on it, 2 owners, just done TB/W pump, new oil cooler, complete front end bushings/ctrl arms. Needs rear shocks (I was gonna lower the car I will get anyway), rear wheel bearing, and there is an abs problem. Should I stay away from such a car? Are the 97s old instrumet clusters? Do you have some pics of a 97 sport interior?
Thanks, and btw, the guy is gonna hold on to the car for me for a few months, and heres the best part: it's a champagne color, that would make it a total sleeper
Also heard that there was a carbon fiber driveshaft on the 97s only, is it true?

TQMB5
02-22-2007, 04:12 PM
yes it is true but its actually heavier and our cars dont really have problems with driveshafts. Also the interior from the 97 leaves a lot to be desired but if the price is right sounds like a good deal. rear wheel bearings are about 200 to have done at a shop. the abs problem can probably be fixed for 200 if the abs light is on and the brake light blinking. also not so sure about the best part being its champagne but to each his own

onemoremile
02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
The exterior was updated in 99.5 with minor interior updates. The major interior updates like digital clock in the tach and the much nicer Symphony cd/tape/radio was in 2000. The 2000 is much nicer than the 1997. My office had 3 employees with a 97 2.8 FWD, a 240 hp 99.5 1.8t Avant, and a 400+ hp 2001 S4 Avant so I'm familiar with the three stages of B5 updates. The 2000+ is definitely the one to get. The 99.5 has a mechanical throttle (nDBW) and an AEB engine with larger intake ports but that really isn't a benefit. The 2000+ models make the same power with the same mods and have a nicer driver environment.

The GT28R and GT28RS will make 300 and 350 hp respectively. They can both make more with some tweaks. The GT28RS is probably the perfect street turbo for a stock block.

KARMANN_20V
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,
TQMB5,
Do you have the sports package on yours? If you do, do you mind posting a couple pics? And FYI, champagne is not my cup of tea either, but if I ever get the said car and get a GT28RS or a 2871 on it, it's the perfect colour, if you know what I mean [:)]

onemoremile
I am saving money as we speak, I am researching the kits and stumbled upon the Renn-art website and like their GT2871 kit that basically comes w/all you need to get started. As I read in the FAQ, their kit is superior to the ATP, so I would appreciate comments on that. You see, the 97 that I'm looking at is a maintained vehicle that will save me money on the initial purchase. The stereo will most likely be upgraded so are the headlights (xenon)
I am fully aware that the BT will require a clutch upgrade (Southbend seems to be the best choice), exhaust and eventually an upgraded FMIC, things that I wanted to do to my Passat, but leasing it without a warranty did not make much financial sense LOL

BTW guys, this is a pic of my current daily (for some reason, I can't post attachments) - the wheels will go on the A4:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/florin/VAPer2006_045.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/florin/IMG_9045.jpg

Poopie
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Which kit on renn art are you talking about? I thought they only had the eliminators and it is the one made and sold by ATP. ATP actually ships them too if you order from renn-art. Renn-art just has better prices.

Tuning choices for the 2000 are limited, but unitronics will still get the job done.

KARMANN_20V
02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Which kit on renn art are you talking about? I thought they only had the eliminators and it is the one made and sold by ATP. ATP actually ships them too if you order from renn-art. Renn-art just has better prices.

Tuning choices for the 2000 are limited, but unitronics will still get the job done.

I took the info from the faq:
"GT2871R Eliminator
Bolt in upgrade. $95 more than the GT28RS elim. good for 400chp. Mika or Unitronic for the B5.

Note: For the eliminators, I highly recommend a braided oil return line. The stock oil return will work, but it's a pain to get in. Unitronics for software, but also Mika tuning offered by ATP can be a good software. but FWIW not off the shelf. it requires tweaks to get things running right. some have run tweaked ko4 software with success on this big of a turbo. ATP and Renn-Art are the best places to get the eliminator products. Renn-Art has a proven kit."

Didn't realize it was refering to the same kit...

Poopie
02-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Someone should edit that. It is the same kit. Like I said, Renn-art has the better price and the product ships from ATP. Renn-art is 1495 for the gt2871r and from ATP it is 1595 plus 95 for the 71r upgrade. You save about 200 bucks going with renn-art. I suggest doing your own custom inlet because the atp is junk.

lude2euroa4
02-22-2007, 05:15 PM
my car is up for sale, its a 97 looks great and drives perfectly.

i removed most of the aftermarket parts, but bt would be a perfect upgrade if you checked into my car. thats the one thing i always wanted to do, but never had the chance.

SeanF
02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
the interior from the 97 doesnt leave me anything to be desired, other than sportier seats...

the carbon fiber driveshaft is neither a pro or con for the car... its just... there...

i have the gold color that you speak of... its "bamboo metalic" only available in 97

http://i12.tinypic.com/4cizk2x.jpg

onemoremile
02-22-2007, 07:28 PM
The 97 isn't bad per say but the 99.5 is nicer and the 2000 is nicer still.

lude2euroa4
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
every b5 has the same interior except each one has un upgraded console, my 97 has the same capabilities a 2001.5 has minus the homelink on the visor.

and i have aeb :) better motor :)

KARMANN_20V
02-23-2007, 06:06 AM
[mad]
every b5 has the same interior except each one has un upgraded console, my 97 has the same capabilities a 2001.5 has minus the homelink on the visor.

and i have aeb :) better motor :)

Lude, your car is awesome [up] but I can't buy right now (read part 1 of first post), it is homework time for me...
Poopie, are you talking about the ATP 3" inlet that goes for 260, that is crap?
Is there a DIY on how to make one similar yourself?

Thanks

Poopie
02-23-2007, 07:36 AM
I didn't make one. I got the ATP one...so yeah..thats how I know it sucks. As around and you'll find simpilar oppinions. If i were to do it again i would have made one.