PDA

View Full Version : Navigation ? I searched 1st!!!

2LiterV8eater
02-22-2007, 06:11 AM
I've been thinking of putting in a double din navigation with Sirius. I can't seem to find any info about being able to use the shark fin antenna to connect to a pioneer HU so that I don't need a seperate GPS and Sirius antenna, is this possible?

Any info on what I need to get this done and where to get the parts is greatly appreciated.

2LiterV8eater
02-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Also I have the Symphony HU if that helps, can I use the factory amp and speakers?

German Driver
02-22-2007, 08:20 AM
I can't seem to understand the question. The shark fin does house a GPS antenna but the connector for your Pioneer is probably different. If you wanted to tap into the lin just reach the rear diversity panel and connect. Sort of a rig job but I assume it could be done. Why not just run what the HU provides? There are plenty of places to hide it.

2LiterV8eater
02-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Just want to know everything I need before I start the project I hate not having something if I need it.
I was assuming I would get a better signal using the roof mount? would I also need an antenna for the Sirius or is there an adaptor for that also?

CyberPMG
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
The satellite antenna is prewired from the sharkfin (or surfboard if 05+) and runs into the trunk where the OEM satellite receiver would be installed. If your aftermarket has the receiver built into the HU, then you'll want to splice into the wire in the trunk (driver's side) and run the line all the way up to the HU.

rxrep
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Shark fin does work with aftermarket for both XM and Sirius (I've used both). I do not know about GPS as I used the aftermarket antenna. That sits perfect up in the front center of dash and I'm locked on to multiple GPS sats all the time; no worries on where it sits, and you'd barely notice it's there.
Back to Sat Radio: The only real problem is that the plug from the shark fin is an old-style double coax connector. Most newer sat units use a single coax connector.
There is an adapter out there, but it's hard to find. There are lots of them for running old style sat units to new style antennas, but not the other way around. But they are out there. Know that there IS a difference; you can't buy the old unit to new antenna adapter and just reverse it. That does not work. You need a new sat unit to old antenna adapter. Or you could splice if you know what you are doing (I don't because I don't know how that adapter works). But I've heard that just direct splicing can cause problems (I think there is a capacitor or something in the adaptor).
On mine, I found the adapter, but the other big problem was that the color-coded double coax needed reversed. Like, I think one is green and the other brown. Instead of going green-green/brown-brown I had to reverse it to go green-brown. That made it so I had to cut off the locking tabs as they are made to fit color-coded.
And the only way I found that out was because it wouldn't work when color coded (sat worked but terestrial did not), so I tried it reversed and now both sat and terrestrial antennas work perfect for both XM and Sirius. I guess Audi swapped it to force a person to not be able to use it.
But it does work! For GPS, however, I can't help ya there as I didn't feel need to try since the aftermarket GPS antenna is so small and fit perfect up in the center dash.

3.0L AUDI A4
02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I did it... The stock wiring to the Satellite antenna on top of our cars 04+, Is eligible to connect to the sirius or XM interfaces for Pioneer. Mine worked for about two months and then suddenly stopped. The Audi connector kept on falling out because when I took the green plastic cover off it broke one of the metal flabs... Soooo then......

I took off the shark fin off of my roof, and completely RIPPED out its guts, and put my sirius antenna in there. I DO get perfect reception where ever I go.

This job is difficult and DOES require a LOT of dremel tooling and cutting and such. I don't recommend it unless you have worked as a mechanic or something. Unfortunately I don't have a DIY for this.... sorry.

Any other questions.. PM me...

PROXUS
02-24-2007, 10:43 AM
You can use Pioneer connector to FAKRA and try to connect it to roof sharkfin (If your car has GPS input)

This is few INSTALL PICTURES (http://www.navplus.us/knowledgebase/?action=article&cat_id=001&id=4&lang=)

2LiterV8eater
02-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, I have an idea of what I need, just have to start ordering stuff.