PDA

View Full Version : pes T28 help?

basilv
02-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi new to the thread,I have 01 a4 with the pes kit in it and I would like more power, it only spikes at about 18 ibls and hold at about14-15,had it checked out and no air leaks ,I am getting exactly what the ecu is calling for..I was told i should change the maf sensor and have the ecu reprogramed...Does anybody know anyone in the CT area capable of this type work? thanks....

mike-2ptzero
02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi new to the thread,I have 01 a4 with the pes kit in it and I would like more power, it only spikes at about 18 ibls and hold at about14-15,had it checked out and no air leaks ,I am getting exactly what the ecu is calling for..I was told i should change the maf sensor and have the ecu reprogramed...Does anybody know anyone in the CT area capable of this type work? thanks....

Could just be cold temps causing the drop in boost. If you have a vag make sure to check block 054 to see if the throttle is closing. Cant really run more then 18-20psi other wise the throttle will close when going over 21psi, this is why most of the PES kit owners and BT owners with the dbw cars tend to use a EBC to run up to 20psi without any spikes.

maxspeed
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
check out the b5 tech forum for info on the diode mod, put a diode on the map sensor and up the boost!

bitterchild
02-21-2007, 02:01 PM
check out the b5 tech forum for info on the diode mod, put a diode on the map sensor and up the boost!

DO NOT do that. Call PES and ask for 1.5bar file if you have the proper intercooler and exhaust to match.

maxspeed
02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
lets spend more money for the same result! [rolleyes]

Devious27t
02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
lets spend more money for the same result! [rolleyes]

yes lets spend more money to get the proper tune and keep all of the safety nets intact. what a dumbass idea. tony is a moron

maxspeed
02-21-2007, 02:25 PM
never said he was a moron, just sayin theres more than one way to skin a cat...

mike-2ptzero
02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
DO NOT do that. Call PES and ask for 1.5bar file if you have the proper intercooler and exhaust to match.

1.5 bar file is for the ndbw cars while he owns a 2001

How many dbw PES kits have you played with first hand?

BTW please stop posting up telling people to use a diode, because when someone blows their engine up I hope they hold you responsable for the cost of a new motor. If not used correctly the end results are 1.8 bar of boost and a blown motor, if you dont believe me just search threads from"SDcharlie" on Audiworld.

maxspeed
02-21-2007, 09:31 PM
0 hits returned, but you dont have to convince me its a dangerous mod

bitterchild
02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
The hardware should easily do 18psi all the way til 7k, map sensor shouldn't interfere either. What n75 valve do you have? what intercooler? exhaust?

mike-2ptzero
02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Posting up Vag logs would help figure this out.

fenderstrat1184
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM

theres a place in norwalk on post road called speedtechnik... they're pretty good. thats where i got my car chipped

great service, but a bit pricey on the labor, but if all else fails, theres a tuner shop for ya

basilv
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I have called them(PES) a while back and asked if I could get the 1.5 bar ecu, but they said not for my car.Is that because mine is 01 dbw engine?I thought i could change the maf sensor from say a vr6 and then have the ecu reflashed...I have a borla exhaust ,but stock intercooler...also I was told to just get a boost controller,but a electric one is like 600 and i am not sure what will solve the problem....If I could get 20psi it would be ok....I realize I will have to spend some money,but just would like to make sure what I do works... thanks for your help...

basilv
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
that place in norwalk is horendous?2 buddys had simple suspension work done there and their suspension became loose and apart....

AudiRacerS4
02-22-2007, 04:19 PM
probably becuase you have a stock intercooler. Alo if your running a VR6 MAF and do not have a tune for it

mike-2ptzero
02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
I have called them(PES) a while back and asked if I could get the 1.5 bar ecu, but they said not for my car.Is that because mine is 01 dbw engine?I thought i could change the maf sensor from say a vr6 and then have the ecu reflashed...I have a borla exhaust ,but stock intercooler...also I was told to just get a boost controller,but a electric one is like 600 and i am not sure what will solve the problem....If I could get 20psi it would be ok....I realize I will have to spend some money,but just would like to make sure what I do works... thanks for your help...

That would be correct, the dbw cars can only run a max of 1.45 bar of boost and some times even that is too much when running the N75 valve since it will tend to spike putting it over the max boost level.

Believe me a EBC will allow you to run the max amount of boost without the throttle closing, I did exactly that when doing testing for PES and GIAC with my dbw back in 2001 when they were looking to release a kit for that year. I ran 20-21psi with a HKS EVC4 which I still use to this day.

fenderstrat1184
02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
that place in norwalk is horendous?2 buddys had simple suspension work done there and their suspension became loose and apart....

really... hmm like i said, i only had my car chipped there, and i know a few ppl had exhausts and a few other things done, they all said the service was top notch, just that the labor was killer

well at least now i know that their suspension work is shotty

T28_A4
02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
mike is there any reason why he cant go mbc instead of an ebc?

mike-2ptzero
02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
mike is there any reason why he cant go mbc instead of an ebc?

MBC's still tend to spike during high load.

94jedi
02-23-2007, 05:58 AM
MBC's still tend to spike during high load.

exactly, DBW or DBC, MBC spike all over the place and the action is pretty violent.

bitterchild
02-23-2007, 09:22 AM
is there a reason why you are not running a pes maf housing?

basilv
02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
is there a reason why you are not running a pes maf housing?

Pes didn't offer it ,the whole kit was like 4700 but cant remember for sure,but to my knowledge it is a stock maf sensor...

basilv
02-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Mike, so if i get a hks evc6 ebc which I think is the current one out I will be fine ....I guess I will start pricing them out and purchase it....thanks alot to everybody for their help.....

94jedi
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Pes didn't offer it ,the whole kit was like 4700 but cant remember for sure,but to my knowledge it is a stock maf sensor...
if you bought the kit new from PES, it should've come w/ PES' MAF housing.

mike-2ptzero
02-23-2007, 07:06 PM
if you bought the kit new from PES, it should've come w/ PES' MAF housing.

That would be correct. A larger metal maf housing comes with every PES T28 kit to allow them to use a stock maf sensor to keep the maf readings lower.

Here is a picture of the kit from the PES site, the maf housing is right in the center of the picture.

http://www.pes-tuning.com/images/t28_images/t28_kit_1.jpg

audisnapr
02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
hey mike - did you ever get your hands on a world motorsport pbc-1 ebc?

mike-2ptzero
02-23-2007, 07:45 PM
hey mike - did you ever get your hands on a world motorsport pbc-1 ebc?

No, still running my HKS EVC4 at this point.

EuroA4
02-24-2007, 08:07 AM
I know PES has also set up this kit with the Greddy Profec-B boost controller and it allows much finer adjustment of the boost settings to not have spikes, etc. And from everything I've ever heard about these kits...the PES MAF is supposed to replace the stock MAF...just like all the other BI and BT kits use TT MAF or VR6 MAFs.

bitterchild
02-24-2007, 09:00 AM
to clarify it is just the maf housing, you retain your oem 1.8t maf sensor in the new housing.

mike-2ptzero
02-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I know PES has also set up this kit with the Greddy Profec-B boost controller and it allows much finer adjustment of the boost settings to not have spikes, etc. And from everything I've ever heard about these kits...the PES MAF is supposed to replace the stock MAF...just like all the other BI and BT kits use TT MAF or VR6 MAFs.

GIAC did some tuning with one of them on a 2000 but the tuning was never released to the dealers or public. All of the B5 PES T28 kits still use the stock maf sensor.

SpyderSE2
02-24-2007, 11:20 AM
When i first hooked up my PES kit, I was running the stock MAF housing. It limited my boost to 14-15psi just like you mention. Eventually it also threw a code for the engine running to rich. Once I replaced it with the PES housing, boost went up and no more codes.

T28_A4
02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
When i first hooked up my PES kit, I was running the stock MAF housing. It limited my boost to 14-15psi just like you mention. Eventually it also threw a code for the engine running to rich. Once I replaced it with the PES housing, boost went up and no more codes.

how long did you have to wait before boost went up and no more codes? I just did what you said and I cleared my codes, I'll see where I'm at after about 50 miles...what is your vacuum at idle inHG...I'm just about at 20, shouldnt it be around 15...sorry for the hijack basilv...

AudiRacerS4
02-24-2007, 02:25 PM
no your vac should read 20 hGin

SpyderSE2
02-24-2007, 04:03 PM
how long did you have to wait before boost went up and no more codes? I just did what you said and I cleared my codes, I'll see where I'm at after about 50 miles...what is your vacuum at idle inHG...I'm just about at 20, shouldnt it be around 15...sorry for the hijack basilv...

After I did a TBA I had proper boost and didn't throw anymore codes.

basilv
02-25-2007, 05:44 AM
i went and looked and it looks like I have the pes maf housing ..but I am not sure,how can I tell for sure? I never had any codes either..but my vacum on my guage reads at about 16or 17Hgin

EuroA4
02-25-2007, 08:40 AM
sounds like you might have the correct hardware, but you probably have a boost leak.

basilv
02-25-2007, 09:25 AM
brought it to 2 shops and they both sais there were no leaks car was doing exactly what the ecu was telling it to do...I might just try and rig something up to blow some air where the intake is and see if will hold ,would any body no the amount of air i should put in? I was thinking like maybee 25psi

T28_A4
02-25-2007, 10:40 AM
i went and looked and it looks like I have the pes maf housing ..but I am not sure,how can I tell for sure? I never had any codes either..but my vacum on my guage reads at about 16or 17Hgin

The PES maf housing is metal, oem is plastic...not exactly sure about what to pressure test it at...oh and you don't exactly have to rig something up yourself, click --> a4mods (http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/boostleak.html) ...its what you need to do your pressure test.

mike-2ptzero
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
brought it to 2 shops and they both sais there were no leaks car was doing exactly what the ecu was telling it to do...I might just try and rig something up to blow some air where the intake is and see if will hold ,would any body no the amount of air i should put in? I was thinking like maybee 25psi

Start with 10psi.

T28_A4
02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
After I did a TBA I had proper boost and didn't throw anymore codes.

anything new basilv?

Okay, so I'm not running rich anymore, but now I'm throwing P0420, I don't know much about anti-foulers, learned some from searching just now...I have a random technologies high-flow cat...I will try the non-fouler mod once this snow clears up...I need to get my car ready for emissions, which is in about a month...also when I check readiness my seconday air injection is failed...

salz2135
02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
anything new basilv?

Okay, so I'm not running rich anymore, but now I'm throwing P0420, I don't know much about anti-foulers, learned some from searching just now...I have a random technologies high-flow cat...I will try the non-fouler mod once this snow clears up...I need to get my car ready for emissions, which is in about a month...also when I check readiness my seconday air injection is failed...

If emissions is simply an OBD-2 scan you should just be able to clear the codes before going to have it checked and pass.

Is the P0420 code the cat below efficiency threshold one?

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
02-26-2007, 04:21 PM
If emissions is simply an OBD-2 scan you should just be able to clear the codes before going to have it checked and pass.

Is the P0420 code the cat below efficiency threshold one?

he'll still fail...
Because the readiness code would be erased as well and needs a few cycles to come back on... During those few cycles the CEL will come back will the ECU doesn't see the cat again...

In my state they still stick the sniffer in the car's poop shoot and see if it's polluting at idle...

salz2135
02-26-2007, 05:55 PM
he'll still fail...
Because the readiness code would be erased as well and needs a few cycles to come back on... During those few cycles the CEL will come back will the ECU doesn't see the cat again...

In my state they still stick the sniffer in the car's poop shoot and see if it's polluting at idle...

I understand what you're saying about the readiness cycle. However, the cat efficiency code isn't always thrown right away. Often it will show up after many miles. If he clears the codes, drives enough for the readiness to set, he might still pass.

If there is no fine for failing, I would rather try clearing the codes and passing rather than trying to get an antifouler set up dialed in.

If there is a sniffer, that's a whole different story.

T28_A4
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
IL is pretty easy, all they check is if readiness is passed and no check engine light and you're good to go...no visual inspection and nothing goes up my audi's a$$...I could try doing that, I'll have to test it out to see exactly how many miles I have to go before readiness passes and cel goes back on...but I still haven't taken a look at anything yet about my secondary air pump failing readiness...

salz2135
02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
how many readiness tests must pass in order pass the emissions test? In my state I think it's 6 out of 8. You may just be able to forget about the 2ndary air pump issue.

T28_A4
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
[hail] ..good thinking...I just looked into it...for IL '96 up to '00 can fail 2 readiness codes and still pass emissions, '01 and up can pass with 1 failed readiness code...I might just give the non-fouler trick a shot for my P0420 code, doesn't take long and if it works it works...I've been staring at cel for a long time now...

basilv
02-27-2007, 05:02 PM
absolutley,I do that with my wifes a6 ,has the same problem ,and so far it has passed every time...