PDA

View Full Version : More assisine questions from a n00b

e46ci
02-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty new to the whole Audi / turbo thing so I have a few questions regarding the turbo tubing...

I keep seeing the following terms thrown around - up pipe, down pipe, mid pipe, test pipe, intercooler. Can I get a quick definition of each and how they all work.

superman_006
02-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Ok a down-pipe is the exhaust pipe right after the catilic coverter on the A4 it has a flex section in it too
Test pipe, is when we remove our catilitic conveter because how much air flow it restricts comming out of the enigine, however its illegal to get rid of your converter in most states so the aftermarket world calls it a test pipe (for testing purposes only)
Intercooler, if you have a 1.8t, it came with a side mounted intercooler from the factory on the drivers side, air travels through it before it enters the engine to cool the air to gain effciceny and power, alot remove it and put a front mounted intercooler as an upgrade

Poopie
02-19-2007, 03:48 PM
down pipe is the pipe connecting the turbo to the rest of the exhaust. On our cars, we have the cat right off the turbo to the actual down pipe.

mid pipe = i don't think a4's have an official one

test pipe replaces the cat with piping

intercooler is the cooler in between the compressor and the throttle body. It cools the charged air.

you got to do some searching dude before the noob police comes to yell at you. I wouldn't be suprised if someone posted a "search noob" reply while i typed this.

superman_006
02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I would suggest you click on this link and read it
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728

you'll feel 10 times smarter after reading it.... I know I do each time, and sean explains things so much better than I can

e46ci
02-20-2007, 06:12 AM
why are the turbo applications called Eliminator kits?
what are the eliminating?

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 06:18 AM
Eliminator is a type of kit for a smaller version of an actual FULL turbo.

They are made for kits, rather than just piecing your own together, and are less powerful

EDIT: and onemoremile is much more educated than I lol

onemoremile
02-20-2007, 06:20 AM
They are eliminating the need for special exhaust manifolds. Ironically they are available with their own manifold. The eliminator kits are available from ATP Turbo and have a lot of fitment and quality issues. They will work but need an experienced set of hands to install them.

A real or full GT28RS is more efficient and more powerful than a Eliminator GTRS but it does require a new exhaust manifold, cat or test pipe, and hot side intercooler piping. The same goes for the full GT2871R vs. the Elim 2871.

e46ci
02-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Eliminator is a brand for a smaller version of an actual FULL turbo.

They are made for kits, rather than just piecing your own together, and are less powerful
I just noticed you're in cbus also... where abouts do you live?
I'm in the grandview area

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Ha awesome, I live in Newark actually, but I work in New Albany.

We're trying to meet up at Easton on Friday with Vdub people and a buddy of mine is bringing his 1980 635csi.

Poopie
02-20-2007, 06:23 AM
atp has a line of turbos that mount to the stock manifold manifold and cat converter as well as keep emissionsa equipment. there is very little custom fabrication involved with the install.

they also have the ''full' turbo kits which require a new exhuast manifold, new downpipe ans custom intake. PES and others have turbo kits like this too

e46ci
02-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Ha awesome, I live in Newark actually, but I work in New Albany.

We're trying to meet up at Easton on Friday with Vdub people and a buddy of mine is bringing his 1980 635csi.
Newark, eh?
I graduated from Denison in '02 so I'm quite familiar w/that area :)

e46ci
02-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Quattro question...
what is the power split to the wheels during normal driving conditions?
Is it always 50-50 when on dry surface or does it have a FWD/RWD bias like the BMW XIs - 30/70 (or maybe 40/60... i can't remember for sure) front/rear split during normal driving and then the diff moves power when the wheels begin to slip?

onemoremile
02-20-2007, 08:18 AM
It is a Torsen center diff and is always moving power around. Power is in the front when braking, roughly 50/50 on the freeway, and up to 2/3 to the rear when accelerating. Stasis modified the stock center diff for up to 4/5 or 5/6 power to one end. In actuality any Torsen will put 100% of the power to a wheel that can't put any power down at all. If you slide the back wheels off a cliff the fronts won't pull you out unless you pull the emergency brake.

e46ci
02-20-2007, 08:21 AM
It is a Torsen center diff and is always moving power around. Power is in the front when braking, roughly 50/50 on the freeway, and up to 2/3 to the rear when accelerating. Stasis modified the stock center diff for up to 4/5 or 5/6 power to one end. In actuality any Torsen will put 100% of the power to a wheel that can't put any power down at all. If you slide the back wheels off a cliff the fronts won't pull you out unless you pull the emergency brake.
eek - i'll remember that the next time I drift off a cliff!!

ProOnThaSnow
02-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I dunno bout the rest of you guys, but I am excited as hell that he wants to convert from BMW to Audi, the age-old battle has been settled by this one person. Thanks for proving my point to the people who ask me why I didn't buy a BMW.

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 08:39 AM
He's keeping his BMW... In fact he's really making fun of Audi. He only needs a daily driver. [:D]

Nor_Cal_Driver
02-20-2007, 08:41 AM
I dunno bout the rest of you guys, but I am excited as hell that he wants to convert from BMW to Audi, the age-old battle has been settled by this one person. Thanks for proving my point to the people who ask me why I didn't buy a BMW.

"BMW, The Ultimate Stereotype Machine"

onemoremile
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
eek - i'll remember that the next time I drift off a cliff!!

It isn't so bad. It is a smooth and transparent system. It has the Torsen in the center and open differentials front and rear. The only time this is a bad thing is when a wheel is in the air like in a tight autocross corner or when you are really stuck. The autocross issue can be addressed with suspension tuning, adjustments to driving style, or even the addition of a mechanical limited slip diff for the rear. At slow speeds the car will detect the spinning wheel and brake it so that power gets sent to the other wheels. This is what keeps you from getting stuck in the mud .

e46ci
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I feel like I need to to set a few things straight...

I used to have a 2003 BMW 325 ci and I sold it last year for an s2000 - it was an impulse buy. I still say I have a BMW b/c my family shares cars... even though I no longer live at home, I still borrow the family 330 or C230 when it suits me but my DD is the S2k.

My desire to get an Audi has more to do w/the quattro than it does hating BMW. After experiencing winter in the s2k, it became apparent that even w/blizzacks, the thing still sucks in the snow. I want an AWD car so I no longer have to worry about traction. I've looked at Subarus but I really want something w/a little more luxury b/c that is the 1 thing I missed when I got the honda... the interior is bare!! BMWs are very nice and great at what they do but I owned 1 for 4 years and I feel it's time for a change - experience something new!!

So, after looking at my current needs - Sporty, luxury, nice interior, and quattro - the audi is the logical choice.

EDIT:
Everyone has been saying I should get the 1.8 and after some thought, I'm starting to lean in that direction. It's exciting b/c I've never driven a turbo car so I'm kinda pumped to see how a turbo feels/drives. I hope this helps and I haven't confused you guys!

e46ci
02-20-2007, 08:49 AM
He's keeping his BMW... In fact he's really making fun of Audi. He only needs a daily driver. [:D]
Nah man, I like the audi and I'm not making fun.
The way the finances are looking, I should be picking one up at the end of March. The gf and I are heading on vacation beginning of March and if she doesn't spend too much of my $$, I can possibly get one mid March. If not, end of march is my target.

ProOnThaSnow
02-20-2007, 08:52 AM
are u keeping the S2K? I've always wanted to buy one a put a comtech S/C on it for a weekend warrior... I love hondas, its what I grew up on (clean ones not riced out ones, thank you)...

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Nah man, I like the audi and I'm not making fun.
The way the finances are looking, I should be picking one up at the end of March. The gf and I are heading on vacation beginning of March and if she doesn't spend too much of my $$, I can possibly get one mid March. If not, end of march is my target.

lol I was just joking. [:D]

PM me if you're interested in meetin up for a quick photo shoot at Easton on Friday night!

e46ci
02-20-2007, 09:04 AM
are u keeping the S2K? I've always wanted to buy one a put a comtech S/C on it for a weekend warrior... I love hondas, its what I grew up on (clean ones not riced out ones, thank you)...
No, I plan on selling it. I thought I'd enjoy the car but it's very impractical. It's very fun to drive but the novelty wore off after a year.

ProOnThaSnow
02-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Is it just me or will most women never understand the purpose of a good vehicle Photoshoot?

Militant-Grunt
02-20-2007, 09:52 AM
I respect the S2k, a great autocross car, these things dominate. Though I can't fit in the car really. The doors sucks, my knee's bash right into the drivers door.

ProOnThaSnow
02-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Haha, my bro is 6'2" 260lbs and though he was gonna buy one, till he couldn't drive the thing aout of the parking lot. I'm 6'4" 240lbs and if I bought one, it'd be strictly for fucking around in... not a practical daily driver at all.

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Lard ass [:D]

jk

ProOnThaSnow
02-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Hey, c'mon now, lol... I know I've got a beer gut, but it isnt that bad... as long as I can pick up the ladies, thats all that matters!

AudiSport12
02-20-2007, 04:41 PM
speaking of BMW's, i took a 645cic 6 speed manual for a spin and i was very impressed actually. it sounded mean as hell too. great car, but id much rather have a S4 cab.