PDA

View Full Version : Tried Searching: Where is the DIY for Oil Change?

A4orce84
02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Hey Guys,

Gettin ready to perform oil changes on my own A4 1.8T...I remember seeing the DIY guide listing the part number for the oil filters, oils to use, etc. Anyone know where it went? Thanks.

--Asif

98a4
02-19-2007, 10:09 AM
Are you serious?

If you need a DIY for an oil change, you should never pop your hood.

TQMB5
02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

TQMB5
02-19-2007, 10:12 AM
hey man be nice, i used to be the same way. i was happy when i changed my own air filter. everyone has to start somewhere

JMaxx93
02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
The truth is. Its a good idea to at least read over even something as simple as an oil change for our cars. Just to make sure there's no eccentricity that must be done to avoid catastrophic engine failure. I have a feeling there are somethings that you have no idea how to do as well. The difference being you wouldn't ask the question you would just try to do it yourself and screw your or someone else's car up. So chill.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Engine failure?... If you've changed oil in any other car, it's the exact same...

I agree tho, if you're just looking for the proper products to use then yea that's ok.. But if it's actually about doing the oil change, and wondering how, then please take it to a shop...

98a4
02-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I didnt mean to be rude, hes been a member for years.. Oil changes are like 15$ plus the cost of oil.

JMaxx93
02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=1 ate T;1429865]Engine failure?... If you've changed oil in any other car, it's the exact same...
QUOTE]

Just exagerating. :) All I meant was I'd check it to see if there were any quick tips, things to look out for, suggestions on parts or other things to check on while doing the service. Not that I would expect to see anything amazing, it's just that it only takes two minutes to read over it and make sure.

And sorry I didn't realize how long this cat has been a member. That's kinda odd.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
gotcha [up]

A4orce84
02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Lol, just doing a once over. I've had an extended warranty with my Audi dealer and it runs out in March, they've been handling my oil changes (mainly cuz it's free) so I'm going to be taking over once things run out. I just wanted some pointers that's all. =)

--Asif

98a4
02-19-2007, 04:39 PM
My apologizes then. Its easy, I'm sure you can handle it. I'd say to seafoam while prior to your oil change, and im sure everyone will agree. Run a search.

lude2euroa4
02-19-2007, 05:44 PM
i was in the same boat as you, coming from a handa prelude where you pop the hood or look under the car and you can see everything... and going to an audi where everything is nicely tucked away hidden in painful hard to reach areas

i was a little confused "my first time" but once you do it a few times, she cant wait for you to pop the hood and go down under :)

A4orce84
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I remember there being a FAQ on Audizine that had detailed pics....does that not exist anymore?

wood_e
02-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Seriously, I could do an oil change blindfolded. It's SO simple there shouldn't be a DIY. Remove 1 bolt, drain, repalce bolt, unscrew filter, screw new filter on, add oil. Simple as that...

AudiA4_20T
02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Seriously, I could do an oil change blindfolded. It's SO simple there shouldn't be a DIY. Remove 1 bolt, drain, repalce bolt, unscrew filter, screw new filter on, add oil. Simple as that...

God so many steps my head is spinning!

turbo kraut
02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
i always recommend on a turbo motor, to fill the oil filter 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up so you have oil for the turbo right away

just imo

AUD-A4
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
^i agree

seatown88
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
^i always do that with any engine, turbo or n/a.

lude2euroa4
02-19-2007, 08:17 PM
woops, i only lube up the rubber grommet of the filter... never had an issues...

TQMB5
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM

want a cookie?

98a4
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM
woops, i only lube up the rubber grommet of the filter... never had an issues...

x2....
scale 1-10... its a 2

wood_e
02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
want a cookie?

EAD ass.. an oil change is the most simple procedure anyone could perform.

turbo kraut
02-20-2007, 03:02 AM
oh, and when you lube the o ring on the filter, use fresh new oil, so you get no junk or debris on the new filter, also make sure the old o ring is off the block, or that could cause disaster

turbo kraut
02-20-2007, 03:05 AM
and a4orce, i am sure you could find someone close that would be willign to help you out, it is pretty simple, but a very big deal, if you don't know how or have never done it, don't feel comfortable, then don't do it

also, i would do about half, and that is where it comes in with the filter, of oil as to what the book says

say the book tells you 4 quarts, do 4 1/2 quarts, cause of being a turbo motor, you don't wanna be short and burn up your turbo

JMaxx93
02-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm going to make an assumption. Could be right, could be wrong. But I think that the people who make such a big deal about how easy it is to change the oil and yadda yadda yadda are the one's who can't do much more than that and like spark plugs. Hey, I could be wrong but there really is no reason for the bashing. Proof is in the "filling the filter 1/2 way" tip. Not everyone does that.

LateraLex
02-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow you guys are so cool for knowing how to do an oil change. The point of a forum is to help people with questions, not to tell people they shouldn't bother trying if they don't know this or that. If an oil change DIY is the first step to doing bigger projects, I'm all for it. Asif PM me if you have any questions.

wood_e
02-20-2007, 08:56 AM
I dunno, I guess after watching people, time and time again, go to a dealer, wal-mart (for god's sake...) or quick lube place and get their money stolen it makes me a little bised. Under warranty - fine with me but it doesn't take any technical know how to change your oil.

I guess I have a background where I've had to do everything on my car myself because of frugality. Never mind my passion for working on my car...

DIY:
1) Obtain oil of your choice (synthetic) - A 5 gallon jug will do & a drain pan
2) Obtain a filter from the dealer or online vendor
- I personally use a wix 51333 - everyone will now shun me
3) After driving for a little while (to warm up the oil) find secure ground and lift the car from the front jacking points
4) Place car on jackstands
5) Place your drain pan under the drain plug
6) Remove the 17mm (IIRC) drain plug in the oil pan
7) Let it drain for a few minutes
8) Remove your old filter
9) Replace the drain plug and tighten (32ft/lbs)
10) Fill the engine with oil (should take a little over 4 quarts)
11) Fill the oil filter half way with new oil
12) Lube the o-ring gasket with new oil
13) Install the new filter and hand tighten a half turn from meeting the mount
14) start the vehicle and check for leaks
15) remove the drain pan from under the car
16) Lower the vehicle
16) Fill your jug with the old oil and return it for recycling at your local auto parts store (free)

JMaxx93
02-20-2007, 09:00 AM
^^^^^--------LOL in before edit. At least I've never filled the engine with oil before putting the filter back on. But I guess if its high up enough it wouldn't really matter. :shruggs:

LateraLex
02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
^^ I'd add:

8.1 Best way to remove the filter is to unscrew the coolant expansion tank. Leave it connected but you can twist it out of the way to get access to the filter from the top. When you unscrew it by hand you will notice a lot of oil will leak out. Try to place a bag over it for the last few turns so you don't make a huge mess.

10.1 Add some oil (at least 3.5 quarts) then when the car is on the ground start it up. Let it run for a minute then shut it off. After another minute of waiting check the level to see how much more to add. Easier to add more than the opposite.

13.1 Pour a little oil in the new filter before installing

bass_lover1
02-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Seriously guys, give him a break...everyone has to start working on cars sometime.

Prior to owning my Passat, I never worked on a car in my life, nothing, never changed oil (ok I did an air filter change on my 89 sentra whoopie). The first time I watched my friend change the oil on my car...my exact words were, "its that easy?" Now, I do everything myself, from brakes and oil changes, to timing belts and other motor work, everything comes over time, some of us are just slower at it than others.

Not everyone leaves the womb with a wrench in their hands, you guys need to get your heads outta your asses, or grow up and show some respect atleast...

wood_e
02-20-2007, 09:18 AM
^^^^^--------LOL in before edit. At least I've never filled the engine with oil before putting the filter back on. But I guess if its high up enough it wouldn't really matter. :shruggs:

Oil usually doesn't just flow through where the filter is without the car running... it needs to be pumped via the oil pump and the sump at the bottom of the oil pan. Oil filters are usually higher up on the block than the oil pan.

No need to edit that one...

Militant-Grunt
02-20-2007, 09:27 AM

Same here. Lube the grommet, install filter, ad 4.5 bottles, run it for a minute, see if it needs more, and then Im good. I got a lift for my disposal so its real simple.

A4orce84
02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, are there any quality ramps I can use? Keep in mind that I am lowered with Vogtland/Koni suspension.....so any help would be appreciated. THanks =)

--asif

TQMB5
02-20-2007, 09:07 PM
i have rhino ramps but they dont work if you are lowered...

bass_lover1
02-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, are there any quality ramps I can use? Keep in mind that I am lowered with Vogtland/Koni suspension.....so any help would be appreciated. THanks =)

--asif

I always use the stock scissor jack to lift it up, then use high quality 2-3 ton jack stands to keep it in the air. I've never once had a problem with this method...granted I'm not lowered but the stock jack should easily be able to clear lowered cars.

jbrentd
02-21-2007, 06:07 AM
I would suggest a low profile jack and a couple of stands. Personally, I use an aluminum jack from Harbor Freight.

LateraLex
02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I use the $20 ramps from Autozone. One of the better investments I've made.

recognize408
02-21-2007, 06:53 PM
When i got my first car (96 civic) i had to look up how to do an oil change. Im no psychic. I still look over any DIY before i do something on my Audi, even though i may have done it on one of my Hondas. Better safe than sorry.

PwAg
02-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Also think it's lame to cut into someone for asking about an oil change. WTH, when and where are you supposed to start?

Some more thoughts...
Even though it can't hurt to partially fill new filter, there is no need, especially if you run the car just a bit to warm oil prior to change. After change, turn on car, let it idle for 10-15secs before any revving so to ensure sump has pressurized circuit. It does so in 1-2secs. Turbo will be just fine at idle speed with the old coat it has.

Per Bentley spec, always use new crush washer on oil drain plug and torque down to 30Nm.

Plastic bag around filter to be removed otherwise oil goes everywhere. And don't forgot to protect the ground you're working on with plastic etc.

Like someone above said, fill to ~3.5 Qt, idle 10-15secs, roll it down ramps, then fill on flat until dipstick reaches mid-section of the "ok range" on dipstick. Should be around 4.1-4.3Qts max. Mine fills up nice at exactly 4.0 so I never really have to check anymore. Some have said 4.5...that's def a hair much on initial fill. Do not overfill as you can seriously damage your CAT or start a little foam frenzy (when sump is way overfilled) leaving internals temporarily dry.

Bentley states 4.3Qt max and no mention of priming new filter on Turbo cars. They do specify to not rev car if oil pressure light pops on ignition. I've never seen it do so which indicates the filter may have already filled prior to ignition.

GL.

PwAg
02-27-2007, 01:12 AM
i have rhino ramps but they dont work if you are lowered...

I'm at 24 7/8 ride height up front with stock bumper. No issues on ramps. Ultrasport/aftermarket bumpers may be another story.

PwAg
02-27-2007, 01:15 AM
I always use the stock scissor jack to lift it up, then use high quality 2-3 ton jack stands to keep it in the air. I've never once had a problem with this method...granted I'm not lowered but the stock jack should easily be able to clear lowered cars.

Please get yourself at least a $30 2-ton jack at Autozone if you're lifting the car often. That scissor jack is plain scary and should probably only be used in emergency situations.

bass_lover1
03-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Please get yourself at least a $30 2-ton jack at Autozone if you're lifting the car often. That scissor jack is plain scary and should probably only be used in emergency situations.

I have a 3 ton floor jack in my garage, but it's a bit cumbersome to carry around, as I can't work on my car at my house, I use a buddy's car port.

I've never once been afraid of the scissor jack, if used properly it works just fine, on top of that like I've stated before, the car is then held in place by 2-ton jack stands it's not like i'm doing oil changes and the only thing holding the car up is the scissor jack, that would be stupid.