PDA

View Full Version : Perspective New Guy

e46ci
02-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a '97 or '98 A4 2.8 Quattro in the coming months and I need a no BS answer about the reliability. As my user name suggests, I'm coming from the BMW world so please pardon my Audi ignorance. The general consensus in BMW circles is that Audis aren't very reliable; especially turbo models.

In your honest opinions, would I be a fool to buy a '98 A4 2.8 with about 83,xxx miles? I know all cars are different and the previous owner's maintenance record has a lot to do w/the current state of the car but am I looking at a money pit if I buy the car?

I've heard very good things about the quattro and I'm excited to get one but I don't fancy dropping a lot of cash on repairs.

Thanks in advance!

e46ci
02-19-2007, 07:24 AM
1 more thing...

Do the '98 A4 2.8s have xenon lights as an option? I'm kinda used to them now and I'm not sure if I could live without

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 07:31 AM
General consensus of everyone that doesn't know much about something means that it's probably a rumor... Any car/make can be unreliable if you don't take care of it. I've had mine for a bout a year now and have had no problems with reliability. Of course the only things are maintenance, just as any other car over 60K+ miles needs.

If you're planning on modding something, then get a 1.8T. 2.8's are crap for that. They do not have Xenon's as a stock option, however you can purchase them obviously.

If you're looking for a solid daily driver, and not going the modding route, then a 2.8 would do wonders for you.

HTH and welcome.

AudiRacerS4
02-19-2007, 07:32 AM
no they do not have xenon lights only 2000+ had the option of xenon. And a 2.8Q with 83,xxx miles should be reliable. Just make sure you get the timing belt done if it hasnt already been done and check to see if it has service records

e46ci
02-19-2007, 07:36 AM
1 ate T, that is exactly why I came in here - to get an honest answer from people that know :)

Thanks for the quick response. I'm tempted to get the 1.8 but I'm still having flashbacks of when I was a mod whore and dropped thousands on the BMW. I'm just looking for something w/some low-end tq and a decent top speed. I'm getting soft in my old age and modding the crap out of a car doesn't quite appeal to me... as much.

While we're on the topic of modding, how easy would it be to make a 1.8 as powerful as the 2.8 and would that require an engine rebuild to handle the extra work?

Oh, not only do I not know much about Audis, I also don't know all that much about turbos... Just know that a chip can make them insanely fast!

ProOnThaSnow
02-19-2007, 07:40 AM
The timing belt would be the only requirement on both the 1.8T and the 2.8.

I LOVE my 2.8, and as far as mod-ability, yes, it sucks, but it also keeps me from dumping every penny I have into it (I write this as I put $850 into the stereo in the last couple weeks, lol). Your 2 major options with the 2.8 are Supercharger, or Nitrous really. Kinda sucks.

If you want something highly modifiable, go with a 1.8T. Make sure the car you get is quattro, you'll never regret it! There's an endless amount of options for any budget, so do a little research and you'll make the right decision.

I did my Timing belt on my car right after I bought it, and granted it was a PITA, I did it. The 1.8 is much easier from what I've read. Any car if properly maintained will be reliable! And the "Audi Stereotype" is something that I haven't seen as common as I thought it would. Hell, the reason I decided to go with Audi is because 2 of my friends are Audi certified techs, and they both told me they were perfectly reliable cars, as long as they're taken proper care of.

94jedi
02-19-2007, 07:44 AM
w/ a $400 chip only, a 1.8t will beat a 2.8, nothing else needed. 1.8T's don't need engine work until about 320 whp. The stock turbo will take you to about 180whp, a k04 would take you to about 200whp. After that the sky is the limit with big turbo's. be careful w/ a 1.8T though, I started out only wanting to chip mine. Now I'm ears deep in it.

Burntaudi
02-19-2007, 07:46 AM
All it would take is a chip to make a 1.8T faster than a 2.8. The 2.8 has 172 hp stock. The 1.8T has 150 Hp stock...but get a chip and your into the 190ish HP range throw a exhaust into the mix and your just over 200 HP. Also the 2001-2001.5's came from the factory with 170HP.

And Welcome

e46ci
02-19-2007, 07:46 AM
wow, didn't think they responded that well to mods where a chip would make that much of a difference.

Well guys, thanks for the insight. You're making my decision easier.

e46ci
02-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Might as well throw out a few more n00b questions while i'm at it...

What are the options for throwing in a nav unit into the dash. I'd like something that looks as OEM as possible and blends well w/the overall interior. Can you guys post some pics of some of the more popular setups?

TIA

Burntaudi
02-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Yeah they respond very well. They come from the factory in a low state of tune. 97-2000 are 150 HP at 5-7 PSI 2001-2001.5's are 170 HP at 10-11 PSI most chips turn the boost up to around 15-17 PSI.

e46ci
02-19-2007, 07:54 AM
15-17 seems like a lot of boost for daily driving. I imagine the turbo hits harder when you get into the power band.

ProOnThaSnow
02-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't have NAV, but I do have an aftermarket In-Dash fold out dvd player... I wanted something OEM style, but after searching into it, it was more than I wanted to spend on it. You could custom fit a screen from alpine, or similar with nav, but it might be a PITA. And as far as the year of the vehicle... try going with a 99.5. You get the upgraded facelift (one piece headlights, and different tails), and it looks a lot cleaner - something I wish I would have known buying my car. I don't have my USB cable at work, or Id take a pic of my in-dash, just to give you an Idea what it looks like.

Burntaudi
02-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Might as well throw out a few more n00b questions while i'm at it...

What are the options for throwing in a nav unit into the dash. I'd like something that looks as OEM as possible and blends well w/the overall interior. Can you guys post some pics of some of the more popular setups?

TIAHere is a good link http://www.navplus.us/forum/ As far as just a bolt in you would want to get a newer B5 2000-2001.5 since they have the larger factory radio. It could be done on a older car but it would mean swaping the center console and some creative wiring. Where a newer car is plug and play.

Burntaudi
02-19-2007, 08:04 AM
15-17 seems like a lot of boost for daily driving. I imagine the turbo hits harder when you get into the power band.
I drove my car with a chip, exhaust & a FMIC for a few years and the only reliability issue I ever had was blowing the same hose off about 4 times over the last 5 years.

The car will drive like stock if you stay out of boost but once you get into boost it does hit fairly hard.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 08:05 AM

It won't go into boost if you're driving nicely.

Also, consider that this turbo is very small. And also the motor itself can handle close to around 25psi+, on bigger turbos.[up]

sliverwagon
02-19-2007, 08:09 AM
All it would take is a chip to make a 1.8T faster than a 2.8. The 2.8 has 172 hp stock. The 1.8T has 150 Hp stock...but get a chip and your into the 190ish HP range throw a exhaust into the mix and your just over 200 HP. Also the 2001-2001.5's came from the factory with 170HP.

And Welcome

is that at the wheels?
my 2.8l 30v had 190hp
2.8 with suspension, exhaust, intake and under drive pullies was only a car length behind my buddies VW Gti with suspension, intake and a chip. and his car was light as hell compared to mine

Burntaudi
02-19-2007, 08:13 AM
is that at the wheels?
my 2.8l 30v had 190hp
2.8 with suspension, exhaust, intake and under drive pullies was only a car length behind my buddies VW Gti with suspension, intake and a chip. and his car was light as hell compared to mine

At the crank. Sounds like either your buddy couldn't drive or there was something wrong with his car because you sould have had your ass handed to you.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 08:13 AM
With a chip, a Quattro 1.8T should be around 170-180Whp. Depending on other mods.

e46ci
02-19-2007, 08:17 AM
besides the wood trim and the displacement, what other options does the 2.8 have that the 1.8 doesn't?

in BMW land, the 330 has a few more standard luxury items that the 325 only offers as an option... I'm assuming it's the same btwn 1.8 and 2.8. However, if the only difference is wood trim and engine size, then it might make sense to save some cash and get the 1.8 and chip it. To be honest, i'm not a fan of wood trim so I'd actually prefer the 1.8 interior.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
That's pretty much all besides the engine difference.

spud
02-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I have a 98.5 2.8L Quattro, 68,000mi. Granted I only purchased it about 6-7 months ago, so I have no long-term reliability info for ya. Definitely before buying the car check to see if the timing belt has been done. Depending on if you do it yourself or bring it in, it can get quite expensive. (I used a local German Auto shop, much less than the dealer, but still a lot).

Not sure if you're looking for quattro because of snow or not, but I live in Northern Michigan, and I have driven everything from suburbans, trucks, subaru, lexus... either AWD or 4WD, and the quattro is way above any of these in the snow!

Burntaudi
02-19-2007, 08:26 AM
besides the wood trim and the displacement, what other options does the 2.8 have that the 1.8 doesn't?

in BMW land, the 330 has a few more standard luxury items that the 325 only offers as an option... I'm assuming it's the same btwn 1.8 and 2.8. However, if the only difference is wood trim and engine size, then it might make sense to save some cash and get the 1.8 and chip it. To be honest, i'm not a fan of wood trim so I'd actually prefer the 1.8 interior.

2.8 has real leather and power front seats (Heavier)
1.8T has leatherette (Vinyl) and manual front seats.
The leatherete is still nice and requires a lot less maintenance.

nizmosx
02-19-2007, 08:26 AM
All the luxuary is the same between the 1.8t and the 2.8 only real difference is motor obviously and the interior. the 2.8 has real bufalino leather while the 1.8t has vinyl but to be honest the vinyl holds up much beter than the leather. My vinyl is almost 10 years old and looks much better than my moms 3 year old car with leather showing wear. The 2.8 also has woodgrain which doesnt look that great anyway. All the other options are pretty much the same.

In all honesty i would get a 1.8t with a chip that is well maintained.

ProOnThaSnow
02-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I love my real leather and woodgrain... and don't forget the chrome trim around the windows on the outside (at least my buddy's 1.8 doesnt have it, and same with the other 1.8 at the dealer down the street, maybe others do). My leather has no signs of wear for being almost 10 years old, maybe I'm a lucky one!

Rosati
02-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Wats up E46

Nice to see someone from the beemer crowd, (no we dont look up to you :P )

anywayy, Coming from I6/used to BMW, you might appreciate a 20v 4cyl Turbo.

I came from a V6 and couldnt be happpier the 30v's are pretty solid, but the 20v 1.8t's are almost bulletproof around./up to stage 2 (with proper maintenance)

as you may have noticed both need timing belts every 60-80k , and as you would imagine , its more $ to be done on the V6, for the V6, the problems, on average will stop there, on the 1.8 you may run into a boost leak / cracked Vac line/boost line eventually (or right from the start) BUT, thats what we are here for.

There arent many problems that go unsolved/unanswered on these boards.

My advice is to go 1.8T quattro, with just a chip you will have a pretty quick back up car (assuming you still have your BMW) w/ AWD

The V6 eventually will bite you in the ass w/ the gas mileage

Good luck and keep us posted

pipe7284
02-19-2007, 09:42 AM
1.8t 1.8t 1.8t 1.8t 1.8t 1.8t...

e46ci
02-19-2007, 10:36 AM
another question... is quattro always on and if so, can it be disabled like traction control in F/RWD cars

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
No, it is not always on. It comes on under acceleration.

Rosati
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
^He means can it be switched off

No it is permanent full time AWD

So be careful if getting your car towed , you must use a flatbed or dolly

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 11:21 AM
My bad... but still, I did say it was always on [:D]

e46ci
02-19-2007, 11:27 AM
yeah, I'll have to keep that in mind.
My mom's c240 has a button on the console that disables the rear wheels so it can be towed - that would be kinda cool for the audi.

Man, all this talk is getting me really pumped up - I can't wait to start shopping. I love audi interiors...

yusoslo
02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I'll give you a brief run down of my Audi experience. I bought the car with 68k miles on a 98.5 chassis 2.8 manual quattro. I loved the car. Timing belt was done at 60k miles and had a receipt.

-At 80k I had to replace tie rod ends and 2 CV boots, where I just bought new axles instead.

-At 96k the waterpump blew, I bought all new tensioners belts etc etc which wasnt cheap,

-At 97k miles the clutch fan went causing dust shield to fly into my rad....so I bought a new rad and clutch fan and then took the front frame off again.

At-98k the ecu fried, for no good reason, bought a new one.

I love the car, its quiet and fun all in all nice, but when an oil filter is 20 bucks, coolant is 30, power steering fluid is 30 you have to wonder....Oh yeah and a 400 fuel pump that no other manufacture replicates....so it kinda sucks big ol donkey bawls.

I paid around 4k in 2.5 months in repairs. Ido my own work.

Oh yeah and my check engine light is still on due to bad Combi vavles and the ABS is on cause of a bad ABS ECU.

Audi got me once but never again, and I love working on cars, but not a car that takes 8 hours to change a thermostat.

Rosati
02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
yeah, I'll have to keep that in mind.
My mom's c240 has a button on the console that disables the rear wheels so it can be towed - that would be kinda cool for the audi.

Man, all this talk is getting me really pumped up - I can't wait to start shopping. I love audi interiors...

PROOF~! proof right there that we have the best interiors!

ha and we thought we were the only ones who praised them!

yes i wish we can disable the quattro system as well, but it IS the most advanced AWD system out there so........ cough cough ;)

Im glad your getting hyped, just imagine if you went to a meet.

Youd see a variety of our cars modded and they are just 10x more beautiful modded lightly

The reason i got my B5 is because i went to Starbucks and there was a meet down there, and i saw TighTT's car and said the modded B5 A4 will be my next car.

I just walked up to them and they were so nice, showed me everything and told me all about the car

keep searching man, or keep looking at pics , and youll know what you want

and if your ready, dare to check this thread out : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103179&highlight=favorite

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't let him scare you though ^ (yusoslo)

Like I said I'm at 105K with a 1.8T and haven't had one problem, aside from usual maintenance.

yusoslo
02-19-2007, 11:34 AM
suffice to say my next car will be either a 97 civic hatchback, or a 04 m3, not sure yet.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
suffice to say my next car will be either a 97 civic hatchback, or a 04 m3, not sure yet.

...Quite a selection...[eek] are you serious?

ProOnThaSnow
02-19-2007, 11:58 AM
yusoslo, why the hell didn't you replace the waterpump when you did the timing belt? It only makes sense since you're 9/10 of the way there! And my 98 2.8 has 123K on it with no problems other than a CEL from the secondary air pump I unplugged (I got sick of the jet engine noise on startup!) lol, but it doesnt hurt the car any.

yusoslo
02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
The water pump was replaced!!!!! it only lasted like 12k miles!!!

haha, actually I am. I dont know if I should buy a 5k dollar car that is dirt cheap to maintain since I work 1 mile from my house and I already have a sweet single turbo rx-7.

Or.....drop the cash on a nice white m3, black alcantra interior and 19" gold BBS LM's.............quite the deliema.

but YES I am serious, either all or nothing.

either way the cars purpose is to get me to work and be reliable, the only down fall is if I go the civic route, I either pick up a girl for a date in a beater ass civic or a fully caged and gutted 500hp rx-7 that rides on full race suspension.

ProOnThaSnow
02-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Youd be dumb not to pick her up in the RX-7 anyways... if she's any kind of woman that is worth keeping around.

docurley
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Checking out a cars history is very important and when the other guy did the timing belt he should have done the water pump and tensioners belts at the same time.

I have owned both and had bills on the 2.8 30 more because Audi diagnosed the wrong problem so I played a load of money getting someone else to fix it. Some of my problems were due to my modding like control arms which I have to add is an issue on our cars but I would say no more than I have spent on my old 525i.

Also I tuned my 2.8 to the max by dropping on a Supercharger but still sold up for a 1.8T but I have to say the 2.8 is quite a smooth car and the Supercharger made it even more smother if you can say that.... But at the end of the day the 1.8T can be tuned to be so much faster and for a lot less money.

yusoslo
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
true true^^^ my ex girlfried's T$ts bounced out of her shirt last summer riding in that car! haha

Militant-Grunt
02-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey E46. Im a big BMW guy, but bought an A4 1.8T, because of price constraints and the fact that I can squeeze a lot more power out of that 4cyl turbo than any of the e36 straight 6's.

When buying a B5, you need to consider things objectively, I bought my car well realizing that the thing is going to have a few problems now and then. (Like right now, with my car sitting 10 miles away with a broken oil cooler) It is a truly great, fun car to drive, you just need to realize that when these cars get into the high mileages they tend to have a few quirks. At 60k you can expect, timing belts, wheel bearings, and a little farther down the road the turbo. So if you do decide on a 1.8T make sure these three things have already been replaced.

Furthermore, the A4's have a number of small electrical issues. There is a running joke around audizine that the standard feature on the car is a check engine light. Look in the common problems thread to see what sort of things you can be in for. Prices on parts are fairly inexpensive, if you have a private mechanic or you're a do it yourselfer you can keep costs down.

When it comes to power, the 1.8T can easily be quicker than a 2.8. A chip will bring up the car from 150 to 203hp at the crank and to a whopping 243lb ft of torque, it is a truly HUGE difference. Especially when you have a forge diverter valve and a good aftermarket intake. Modding on this car is like a bug, once you get it you cant stop, because its just so cheap and the gains are quite large.

One other piece of advice I can give you, look for unabused 1.8T's, with as little previous owners as possible, Im the 5th owner on my car and trust me I am feeling the effects. Try to get the 3 armed steering wheel, black interior looks best. And get 5spd, you're going to love it, (though you may want a aftermarket clutch if you do because stock clutch can't even handle stock power output).

Hope this clears somethings up. Good luck with your purchase (get a 99.5 if you can, best year, you get face lift + projectors. )

e46ci
02-19-2007, 12:36 PM
...Quite a selection...[eek] are you serious?
you're talking about a 20-25k price diff... damn, that's a wide range!

yusoslo
02-19-2007, 12:39 PM
well I am fed up so my mentality is all or nothing, I guess it makes sense to me.

If you make decent money and can work on cars I say go for it. I still love my audi after all of this, and a nicely modded B5 is a great chassis.

BTW I am in VA and mine is for sale, and trust me all of the work is done to it, should be maintance free for a long long time.

e46ci
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Like i said, i'm trying to stay away from modding... I was huge into the 3 series modding. Chip, Intake, Exhaust, U/D Pulleys, lwf, short shifter, H&R suspension, 19" wheels, angel eyes, etc etc. Thing that sucks about modding a 325 for power gains is unless you go F/I, you're just modding for engine sound. I think all those mods netted me about 5-7 whp and BMW mods are expensive!

Even if I do get the 1.8, I wont do anything more than chip, suspension, wheels, and possibly a mild body kit - Very light modding would be as far as I'd go.

a few pics of the old car...
http://www.understeer.com/images/derian325/derian325-05.jpg

http://www.understeer.com/images/derian325/derian325-03.jpg

e46ci
02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
what are you looking to get for your car?

I've seen a couple '98s around here going for under 10k

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Even if I do get the 1.8, I wont do anything more than chip, suspension, wheels, and possibly a mild body kit - Very light modding would be as far as I'd go.

Haha you say that now [:D] [rolleyes]

If I had a dollar for everyone that's said that haha

Also, nice 325. I love e46's

sliverwagon
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
At the crank. Sounds like either your buddy couldn't drive or there was something wrong with his car because you sould have had your ass handed to you.
hes a pretty good driver but i think i had more low end...we only raced to about 75

e46ci
02-19-2007, 12:52 PM
trust me - I just finished paying off my cc for all the mods on that car and I'm not looking to rack up another 6 grand at 9.7% interest!

Besides, my daily is an s2k and if I chip the 1.8 and get 240+ tq, I'd be a happy camper! I currently get ~140 lb/ft w/the honda - although it is nice that I can rev to 9k :)

docurley
02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
You only have to look at my thread and I bought a 2.8 30v thinking thats all I needed, now looking at what I have done and I still cant stop.

1 ate T
02-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Eh, I know where you're going with it, but it's really only like having about maybe 200 Wtq with the Quattro. You'll say hey, it's not loud enough, dang it's not fast enough... After K04, dang it's still not fast enough...

It's WAY too easy to fall into modding these cars.

onemoremile
02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I'd take an AA or DA turbo six or anything you could do to a 1.8t. That BMW straight 6 is a monster with a little boost. And don't forget that the E46 is a handling benchmark for a reason.

I bought my 99.5 Avant 1.8t 4 years ago with 73k miles. It has cost a relatively insane amount of money to maintain. Scheduled maintenance like the timing belt is only part of it. The fuel level sender, the vac pump that locks all the doors, the rear wiper motor, the control arms, the tie rod ends, a cv joint, and a few other choice items just needed to be replaced due to a clunk, a thunk, or an all out failure. That doesn't include the badly faded instrument cluster ($460) or the heater core that has been producing a syrupy smell since last winter. Parts on this car just don't seem to live long. Some do but some are just prone to short life spans.

We also bought a 97 Subaru Outback Limited 5 years ago with 52k miles. In the 55k miles since it has needed a battery, new tires and brakes, and a rear wiper motor. The Audi also had these replaced at least once. It also needed the started rebuilt which consisted of me putting $10 worth of new contacts into the old starter. It took a half hour from start to finish working from the tech's handwritten directions. The Audi guys would have had the car for a whole day and charge a small fortune to replace the part.

e46ci
02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Eh, I know where you're going with it, but it's really only like having about maybe 200 Wtq with the Quattro. You'll say hey, it's not loud enough, dang it's not fast enough... After K04, dang it's still not fast enough...

It's WAY too easy to fall into modding these cars.
drivetrain loss is a bitch.
btw, not sure if I mentioned but I'm looking for a manual transmission... I dont do the slushbox!

e46ci
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd take an AA or DA turbo six or anything you could do to a 1.8t. That BMW straight 6 is a monster with a little boost. And don't forget that the E46 is a handling benchmark for a reason.

I bought my 99.5 Avant 1.8t 4 years ago with 73k miles. It has cost a relatively insane amount of money to maintain. Scheduled maintenance like the timing belt is only part of it. The fuel level sender, the vac pump that locks all the doors, the rear wiper motor, the control arms, the tie rod ends, a cv joint, and a few other choice items just needed to be replaced due to a clunk, a thunk, or an all out failure. That doesn't include the badly faded instrument cluster ($460) or the heater core that has been producing a syrupy smell since last winter. Parts on this car just don't seem to live long. Some do but some are just prone to short life spans.

We also bought a 97 Subaru Outback Limited 5 years ago with 52k miles. In the 55k miles since it has needed a battery, new tires and brakes, and a rear wiper motor. The Audi also had these replaced at least once. It also needed the started rebuilt which consisted of me putting $10 worth of new contacts into the old starter. It took a half hour from start to finish working from the tech's handwritten directions. The Audi guys would have had the car for a whole day and charge a small fortune to replace the part.
yes, the BMW handled like it was on rails... especially after I upgraded the suspension. But it doesn't hold a candle to my S2000 as far as handling.

However, both cars suck in the snow which is where the Audi would shine!

Its not like I'm out there driving a autocross on my way to work... just need something w/decent handling and all season practicality. Damn, I really am getting old wanting to go with practicality...

offroader1006
02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
what are you looking to get for your car?

I've seen a couple '98s around here going for under 10k

ive seen very modded 98.5 1.8t's going for 9-10k

94jedi
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I'll sell you my A4 for $7k!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/94jedi/a4tpd.jpg

e46ci
02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll sell you my A4 for $7k!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/94jedi/a4tpd.jpg
send me more pics, especially interior, and more details on the car. Also, I'd like to know which factory options the car has...
if you're serious about your offer I can come out sometime next month to look at it and if everything checks out, I'll pay you on the spot.

docurley
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
There goes the chip option. lol

quadaxel
02-19-2007, 05:11 PM
i got my 98 2.8 with 92xxx miles on it about a year ago, and i absolutely love it. ive driven both, and the 1.8t is fun, but i feel that the 2.8 feels more solid. id say test drive both engines, and go with what YOU like.

Rosati
02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
JEDI! how dare you!

take that post back!

AudiSport12
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
haha jedi you'd be a good salesperson.

as far as interiors go, i cannot stand the BMW's. even though im somewhat biased to Audi's, the fit and finish on a BMW's interior is crap (IMO) even compared to my 1997 A4 1.8t. working at a BMW dealer, every interior feels the exact same to me on all the models. from my experience, the materials used in the BMW's all tend to chip and peel and whatnot. you will be more than happy with the Audi interior.

and props on your 3, it looks PDG!

oh, and definatly the 1.8t is the way to go!

e46ci
02-20-2007, 05:09 AM
haha jedi you'd be a good salesperson.

as far as interiors go, i cannot stand the BMW's. even though im somewhat biased to Audi's, the fit and finish on a BMW's interior is crap (IMO) even compared to my 1997 A4 1.8t. working at a BMW dealer, every interior feels the exact same to me on all the models. from my experience, the materials used in the BMW's all tend to chip and peel and whatnot. you will be more than happy with the Audi interior.

and props on your 3, it looks PDG!

oh, and definatly the 1.8t is the way to go!
somehow i get the feeling he is pulling my leg :(

sigh... Jedi, you got me all hyped!

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 05:22 AM

Yeah, I think he likes his setup a little too much to sell [:p]

Also +1 about hating BMW interiors... I also hate the shift knobs.

e46ci
02-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I think he likes his setup a little too much to sell [:p]

Also +1 about hating BMW interiors... I also hate the shift knobs.
I never said I hated the interior... far from it!

I just think Audis have a nicer look and feel. I liked the fact that the e46 interior is driver-centric. The dash is slightly angled towards the driver... it gives that wrap around feel.

As far as the shifter, I can't really speak much to that b/c I dropped in a short shifter w/a UUC shift knob 3 days after I got the car

So to recap... I like the BMW interior and it has a lot of things going for it however, I think the Audi has a nicer look & feel.

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 05:32 AM
No that's what the guy above you said, he doesn't like the interiors.

Driver-centric sucks ass when you're not the one driving [up]

94jedi
02-20-2007, 05:42 AM

hahaha....sorry bud. I was actually "Mostly" joking but you wouldn't want my car anyway for your intended use. It's got just under 150k on it. It's modded to the hilt, Big Turbo and all. It's perfectly reliable as a DD but in the extreme cold (less than 25* F), it misfires if it's not warmed up after a cold start. This morning it was about 35* when I started her up and after a 2-3 minute warm up, I drove off like normal and the car ran perfect. not a single hiccup. I'm not sure why but the extreme cold weather really wreaks havoc w/ the car. That's probably going to make it difficult for me to sell, well that and the test pipe. I'm probably just going to keep the car, freshen up the bottom end w/ some rods and put a bigger "BIG TURBO" on it....that is....unless I got a serious, solid offer on it; something like $7k would do it for me.

onemoremile
02-20-2007, 06:39 AM
That cold issue affects all Audi turbos. The S4 did it even before it was chipped. I remember well hearing "whatever you do don't pull out in front of someone with a cold engine.". It jerked and bucked until warmed up unless driven very gently.

94jedi
02-20-2007, 06:48 AM
That cold issue affects all Audi turbos. The S4 did it even before it was chipped. I remember well hearing "whatever you do don't pull out in front of someone with a cold engine.". It jerked and bucked until warmed up unless driven very gently.

Yea, I've heard the same also. That is exactly what my car does (only in extreme cold). When I pull out of my neighborhood, I pull onto a 50mph rural road. It's a good thing there are broken lines. People pass me all the time. I drive it as gently as I can until the oil and coolant are both at norm. op. temp.

Jim, how does your car do in those nasty Michigan winters?

onemoremile
02-20-2007, 07:49 AM
My car does fine. I stay out of boost and treat it gently until the oil warms up. Once that oil needle moves off it's perch it is dead smooth.

onemoremile
02-20-2007, 07:50 AM
For what it's worth, the title should be prospective. Perspective is what you're gaining here. [;)]

1 ate T
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM
For what it's worth, the title should be prospective. Perspective is what you're gaining here. [;)]

What if it's not worth anything? [:D]

e46ci
02-20-2007, 08:01 AM
grammar police!!!!

e46ci
02-21-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm 80% sure I'll be getting this car...

The car, a '97 model, has 120k on the clock - I think that's a little high but I'll have an independent shop check it out just to make sure everything is in good working condition.

The previous owner has done a lot of the mods that I would have done - drop and chip so not much left for me to do.
I do plan on replacing the exhaust he currently has there b/c it's a little too Rice for my taste. I will also replace the headlights then call it a day!

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/12/217/319/1650107222.217319651.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/12/217/319/1650107226.217319651.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/13/217/319/1653889309.217319651.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/13/217/319/1653889310.217319651.IM1.09.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Militant-Grunt
02-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Yeah that fart cannon is going to have to go.

1 ate T
02-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Drop looks nice, but the bra and the pipe are ghey for sure. So is that a 98?

Let me know when you're going to go look at it... I'll come out with ya

e46ci
02-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Drop looks nice, but the bra and the pipe are ghey for sure. So is that a 98?

Let me know when you're going to go look at it... I'll come out with ya
it's a 97. I spoke w/the seller last night and he is currently out of town... I'll probably get a chance to see it sometime next week. The car has a dent on the left rear panel so hopefully I can talk him down on price b/c I'm going to need to get that fixed ASAP

1 ate T
02-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah sounds good. check out www.dubohio.com . there is a guy on there that is really good with body and paint, and he's pretty cheap.

(site is down for some reason... but it should be back up).

Rosati
02-21-2007, 08:44 AM
eh 2 piece ecodes but its still good looking

He did all the exterior stock updates which is good......... Rear and headlights (about $500 total, if buying used) I did the same on my 98.5

Not a fan of those rims but they actually look nice on that one

Good luck

e46ci
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
How much for the 1 piece projector housing + HID lights?

Not sure if i could drive w/o projectors...

Militant-Grunt
02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
How much for the 1 piece projector housing + HID lights?

Not sure if i could drive w/o projectors...

I have two piece too, no point in trimming your fender for 1pc. It looks 95% the same way.

1 ate T
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
1 piece's are pricey. Especially with HID's... I've seen them $300+ for each housing.

They're definitely worth it though. But for a lot cheaper, you could probably throw HID's in the 2 pieces, without it lookin too bad [;)]

e46ci
02-21-2007, 09:15 AM
1 piece's are pricey. Especially with HID's... I've seen them $300+ for each housing.

They're definitely worth it though. But for a lot cheaper, you could probably throw HID's in the 2 pieces, without it lookin too bad [;)]
if it's possible to throw the HIDs in the current housing, then I'll just go that route. I was reading in 1 of the FAQ threads that I would need to get the 1Piece housing before the HIDs would fit. (maybe I misread the info in the thread [dunno])

e46ci
02-21-2007, 09:16 AM
eh 2 piece ecodes but its still good looking

He did all the exterior stock updates which is good......... Rear and headlights (about $500 total, if buying used) I did the same on my 98.5

Not a fan of those rims but they actually look nice on that one

Good luck
I'm not sure what exterior updates you're referring to... I still have an untrained eye and I can't tell the difference btwn original and face-lifted models

onemoremile
02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd keep looking. Look for a 1999.5-2001 post facelift car. One piece headlights, bumper fogs, nicer door handles, and a lot of interior updates.

TQMB5
02-21-2007, 11:38 AM
that car in indiana? i think that guy has been trying to sell if for forever, just so you know so keep your head up when inspecting

e46ci
02-21-2007, 11:39 AM
that car in indiana? i think that guy has been trying to sell if for forever, just so you know so keep your head up when inspecting
Says the guy is in Dayton, OH

1 ate T
02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
He's probably beat the hell out of it... Fart can, Neuspeed chip, strut bar.... A definite ricer. You can find one way hella nicer than this one.

I'll keep on the lookout.

e46ci
02-21-2007, 12:36 PM
He's probably beat the hell out of it... Fart can, Neuspeed chip, strut bar.... A definite ricer. You can find one way hella nicer than this one.

I'll keep on the lookout.
thanks...

However, I'm on a budget... under 9k would be ideal.
I'm pretty sure I can sell the s2k for 11 or 12 and I'd like to have some cash left over for minor stuff like replacing a fart can or adding a drop.

1 ate T
02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
You will find a much nicer one for definitely under $9,000.00. Especially if you know how to deal [:D][up]

Example: Mine was listed for $9,500.00... Let's just say I bought it for $7,400.00. LOL

Also, ask him if the waterpump/timing belt, tie rods, and control arms have been replaced.

e46ci
02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Fun drive from lunch:

On the drive back from lunch, I was admiring a b5 2.8 at a stop light. I think he saw me checking out his car and figured I wanted to play.
He launched real hard when the light turned and jumped me but we got caught at the next light (before the freeway on ramp). I pull him behind him at the light knowing he is in a playful mood and that he's gonna hit it when the light turns...
Light turns and he launches again and I follow but w/o a launch (My car always breaks loose if I launch... i need new rear tires). We get on the freeway going about 50 and he starts to pull... i'm still in 2nd gear around 7k... we merge all the way left and I floor and by the time I hit 95, end of 3rd, he was nowhere close.

And that was my fun drive from lunch!

(i was driving the Honda S2000 - no mods)

with all that being said, I can't wait to get a b5... the guy's car looked sharp.

94jedi
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Fun drive from lunch:

On the drive back from lunch, I was admiring a b5 2.8 at a stop light. I think he saw me checking out his car and figured I wanted to play.
He launched real hard when the light turned and jumped me but we got caught at the next light (before the freeway on ramp). I pull him behind him at the light knowing he is in a playful mood and that he's gonna hit it when the light turns...
Light turns and he launches again and I follow but w/o a launch (My car always breaks loose if I launch... i need new rear tires). We get on the freeway going about 50 and he starts to pull... i'm still in 2nd gear around 7k... we merge all the way left and I floor and by the time I hit 95, end of 3rd, he was nowhere close.

And that was my fun drive from lunch!

(i was driving the Honda S2000 - no mods)

with all that being said, I can't wait to get a b5... the guy's car looked sharp.
haha...good kill! good thing is wasn't a modded 1.8T !!!

94jedi
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm 80% sure I'll be getting this car...

The car, a '97 model, has 120k on the clock - I think that's a little high but I'll have an independent shop check it out just to make sure everything is in good working condition.

The previous owner has done a lot of the mods that I would have done - drop and chip so not much left for me to do.
I do plan on replacing the exhaust he currently has there b/c it's a little too Rice for my taste. I will also replace the headlights then call it a day!

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/12/217/319/1650107222.217319651.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/12/217/319/1650107226.217319651.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/13/217/319/1653889309.217319651.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/2/13/217/319/1653889310.217319651.IM1.09.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
e46ci - I consider my car to be a bit rough but it's waaaaay cleaner and in better shape than that pos, albeit the extra miles. Maybe I'm not asking enough for my car lol??? Like I said, keep in touch and come down at the end of march.

e46ci
02-22-2007, 11:24 AM
e46ci - I consider my car to be a bit rough but it's waaaaay cleaner and in better shape than that pos, albeit the extra miles. Maybe I'm not asking enough for my car lol??? Like I said, keep in touch and come down at the end of march.
he is selling for 6500 and you're selling for 7k...
If I were to buy from him, I'd try to talk him down to 5800-6k due to the body work I'd have to put in. I'm assuming your car doesn't have a huge dent so the 7k price tag sounds fair... :dunno:

onemoremile
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
5500 would be fair for that car. Just as you wouldn't marry the first girl that came along you shouldn't get into bed with that car. It just has the look of a car that wasn't maintained. At least drive a 1999.5+ facelift model before commiting.

e46ci
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
5500 would be fair for that car. Just as you wouldn't marry the first girl that came along you shouldn't get into bed with that car. It just has the look of a car that wasn't maintained. At least drive a 1999.5+ facelift model before commiting.
true - i just want quattro now so i can mess around in the snow before it all melts...

I've got my eye open though - hopefully I'll find something soon. getting anxious!

94jedi
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
he is selling for 6500 and you're selling for 7k...
If I were to buy from him, I'd try to talk him down to 5800-6k due to the body work I'd have to put in. I'm assuming your car doesn't have a huge dent so the 7k price tag sounds fair... :dunno:
Ah, my mistake, I thought he was asking more than me.

94jedi
02-22-2007, 11:42 AM
true - i just want quattro now so i can mess around in the snow before it all melts...

I've got my eye open though - hopefully I'll find something soon. getting anxious!
I agree with onemoremile, since you're not in real NEED for a car right now, make sure you get what you want. don't settle for something you won't be happy with in the long run.

AnthraciteA4
02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
The issue with the 1.8T and the biggest reason that you have to look into the previous owners maintenance records is there was a sludge recall and of course not everyone went in for it... obviously. So you'd want to have the oil SERIOUSLY looked at by a qualified Audi guy, because sludgey oil running through turbo lines and everywhere else is BAD. Then the 1.8T an the 2.8 are interference motors, so if the timing belt does go *snap* then you have collision between the valves and the pistons. GET IT CHECKED. The rear diff seals on the output shafts have been known to leak... the seals are like $5 a piece and the labor shouldn't be much more than 1 hour of shop time. If you get a tiptronic, MAKE SURE IT WORKS! Fiddle with it, wiggle it a little. The switch that activates the tiptronic mode is actually a magnetic sensor and it is prone to falling off. Once again a very cheap fix, but its something to look at. Play with EVERYTHING electronic and spend the $$ to have a certified Audi guy... the best that your local dealership has to offer VAG the ECM and see what its been up to. You can see everything from the soon to be previous owners driving habits to the last time the CEL came on, ect. They are great cars, but don't just buy the first one you see. Its like buying a diamond, they all look the same until you hold them under the light and take a closer look.

Best of luck!

Rosati
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
hah our v6 guys dont care if they are slow, theyll race anyone, i love it

E46 Go to ebaymotors. i think its the best refernce to just observe cars.

Check out 97-99's and then check other 99's-01's youll notice the difference

small differences that go a long way....

as they said, dont rush . take your time

Oh and be sure to get the cold weather pkg...... its paying off big time for me right now : ) (heated seats, locks, nozzles)

ProOnThaSnow
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
My friend JP is selling his A4... 97 Silver 1.8T Auto (which sux, but if you're looking for a cruising car). I know he's gonna let it go cheap. Its silver, and I know its gonna go cheap, lemme know if you're interested, I know he'll deliver it too.

And are you jealous us 2.8guys will actually race??? haha, j/k... I know my car is a dog, but thats why I bought it. When I had my Hondas I was dumping anywhere from 2-800 dollars a month into them, cuz I beat the shit out of them. If I had a 1.8T I'd end up doing the same, and I've got better things to spend my money on (beer).

e46ci
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
My friend JP is selling his A4... 97 Silver 1.8T Auto (which sux, but if you're looking for a cruising car). I know he's gonna let it go cheap. Its silver, and I know its gonna go cheap, lemme know if you're interested, I know he'll deliver it too.
I would NEVER purchase an automatic/slapstick car.
I'd rather ride my bicycle than have to drive auto on a daily basis.

Good looking out, though.

94jedi
02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I would NEVER purchase an automatic/slapstick car.

Preach on brotha! [cool]

recognize408
02-22-2007, 07:29 PM
I had an e36, and to be honest that car was way more problematic than my audi. Even though my Throttle Body just took a shit :/

Rosati
02-22-2007, 07:55 PM
E36.......asiktir amana koyim :P

Nice cars though love them yellow/black 98 M3's

And us 1.8 guys not race? what? hehe

Don Supreme
02-23-2007, 07:59 AM
I'll give you a brief run down of my Audi experience. I bought the car with 68k miles on a 98.5 chassis 2.8 manual quattro. I loved the car. Timing belt was done at 60k miles and had a receipt.

-At 80k I had to replace tie rod ends and 2 CV boots, where I just bought new axles instead.

-At 96k the waterpump blew, I bought all new tensioners belts etc etc which wasnt cheap,

-At 97k miles the clutch fan went causing dust shield to fly into my rad....so I bought a new rad and clutch fan and then took the front frame off again.

At-98k the ecu fried, for no good reason, bought a new one.

I love the car, its quiet and fun all in all nice, but when an oil filter is 20 bucks, coolant is 30, power steering fluid is 30 you have to wonder....Oh yeah and a 400 fuel pump that no other manufacture replicates....so it kinda sucks big ol donkey bawls.

I paid around 4k in 2.5 months in repairs. Ido my own work.

Oh yeah and my check engine light is still on due to bad Combi vavles and the ABS is on cause of a bad ABS ECU.

Audi got me once but never again, and I love working on cars, but not a car that takes 8 hours to change a thermostat.

Your problem is that you are buying everything from the dealership. You can buy oem parts and fluids from elsewhere for half the prices you quoted.

$400 for a fuel pump...... yeah ok! I would prefer put a 500 HP high flow pump for around $100.

And it does not take 8 hours to change a thermostat. I can change the thermostat in 15 minutes. The longest part is waiting for the coolant to drain out.

Rosati
02-23-2007, 09:36 AM
PWND

jk

He's right Thats lilke saying it costs $2000 at the dealership to get the timing belt done compared to say $500 from an experienced audizine member (like myself :P) or a little more at an indy shop

e46ci
02-23-2007, 10:41 AM
What does the sports pkg offer that the regular package doesn't have?
is it just different steering and lower suspension?

Rosati
02-23-2007, 11:11 AM
3 spoke wheel More firm and lower suspension (you can tell the diff, but wont matter w/ a drop) and the stock rims are different on the sport model (again wont really matter if you plan on swapping them )