PDA

View Full Version : bedding brakes in the city?

Coco Cardenas
02-17-2007, 08:05 PM
How do i bed my new brakes if the install shop is in the city? What procedure should I follow inside the city while I drive out of town to the isolated roads?

JC

VroomVroom
02-17-2007, 09:07 PM
What are the bedding instructions for your brakes? If they're anything like the Brembos on my SUV, I'd just brake as gently as possible until you can get to a good spot.

Coco Cardenas
02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
this question is for the 355 brembos that I will be installing on Wednesday. Any help will be appreciated.

turbo kraut
02-18-2007, 07:12 AM
i was always told do a few passes brakeing softly, then wait about 15 minutes or so, then do a few hard passes

wait 15 minutes then you should be good to go

don't drive out of the city hitting them softly then jump into hitting them hard, your pads/rotors need the time to cool off and stuff

i did it wrong with my old s-10 and warped my rotors

and the shop should do it for you

quattrotman
02-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Best way to bed brakes is to get on the highway or deserted road and take the car up to 50-60mph then slow to 40mph. Drive a bit to let them cool (30 sec) and do it again. Doin this a number of times will bed them in properly but remember no panic stops for the first 300 miles.

onemoremile
02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Are you near a freeway? I use the freeway in town where there is an exit every mile. I hit the speed I need and do the braking on the ramps. The only tricky bit is not stopping completely. I use the brake pedal down to 5 or so and use the ebrake from there if needed. Once I've put the heat into the pads I'll drive for 20 minutes in one direction. If they don't feel right I'll bed them again and head for home. If you don't have a place that you can get up to speed you can also simulate the 70mph braking at 40 or so by flooring it and riding the brake. This isn't nearly as exact but it does still work. The idea is to get enough heat into the brakes for the pads and rotor material to leave even deposits on each other without going too hot. Then let them cool while driving so that the metal cools uniformly.

ratty
02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
WTF? You want to season the rotors first with lots & lots of heat cycles - just do around town driving, nothing more. Don't heat them on purpose, let them cool fully between. This is a great excuse to go & visit everyone you know, stop for about an hour & then visit someone else.

Ignore the pad squeal.

Once the rotors are seasoned (a few days of around town), then you need to get heat into the pads - this is when you do the hard stops. Get everything up to temp (WARM) easy, then do about 5 runs of accelerate flat out 2nd & 3rd gears then hard on the brakes (just short of ABS activation) down to about 10mph (never stop) & repeat. When you start to get pad fade, just drive for a while to let everything cool. Warm again & repeat a few times until you can do 5 near-stops without pad fade. Drive home & park it without the hand-brake.

onemoremile
02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Pads come with bedding instructions. I've never seen anything like what you've described for street or track pads. I bed in my track pads on the track during the first lapping session.

Tgr_Clw
02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I can't believe some of the info posted above.

Read this, it'll answer all your questions

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml