PDA

View Full Version : fuel additive

arizona steve
02-16-2007, 06:15 PM
i know this stuff have been beaten to death before...

but my car is at 107k miles and im sure its been robbed of some power and gas milage...i get pretty bad milage actually.

as of now ive got a CEL and it stutters and barely runs..cant floor it or anything.

taking it to audi tomorrow.

buttttttt, i was at the gas station getting some drinks and came across that fuel additive made by 'gumout' or something...will it screw my car up if i try it out?

i should probably sea foam the car but i dont know..

dukez
02-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Buy some auto maine seafoam and just pour a whole can into the gas tank.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0002JN2EU.01-ADG953YR6NRBF._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thats all there is to seafoam clean the fuel system. If you want to clean the engine, buy another can of seafoam and suck it in through the intake vaccum hose.

Oh and i suppose gumout works the same, so no i dont think it'll do harm. And your stuttering problem, sounds like you're suffering from a bad ICM unit.

brlukosk
02-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Could also be a bad coilpack or dirty MAF.

Swap the coilpacks to rule that out. If not, clean the maf, if not get a new ICM.

Buy some auto maine seafoam and just pour a whole can into the gas tank.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0002JN2EU.01-ADG953YR6NRBF._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Thats all there is to seafoam clean the fuel system. If you want to clean the engine, buy another can of seafoam and suck it in through the intake vaccum hose.

Oh and i suppose gumout works the same, so no i dont think it'll do harm. And your stuttering problem, sounds like you're suffering from a bad ICM unit.

HighDesertAudi
02-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Seafoam, spark plugs, and a new Air filter. Those are the easiest way to get some better MPG's.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
02-17-2007, 08:46 PM
how about taking care of the car and giving it a tune up or having a mechanic look over it and make the necessary repairs...
Trust me you will love yourcar afterward

SurferForever
02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
how about taking care of the car and giving it a tune up or having a mechanic look over it and make the necessary repairs...

why would he do something like, that? that makes sense to do . . .

1.8G
02-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh man, when i saw the title of this thread i thought you were referring to "octane boosters" for sure... Thank you for asking a legit question. A lot of people on here like sea foam. If you are going to use it in the crank case, make sure you drain the oil when it is warm.

bass_lover1
02-18-2007, 08:36 AM

AFAIK, the 1.8T has always been a motor where you can't give it the basic 'tune-up' that most mechanics would try to sell you...

New plugs maybe...possibly an air filter...but it stops at that.

Anyway, since you say the CEL is on, get the code checked out, that can easily help us lead you in the proper direction...Does the CEL blink, or is it solid? Blinking could be a few things, but more than likely a fouled plug, a bad coilpack or a failed ICM...the first two are cheaper to test out so look into those first, then think about buying a new ICM. Especially consider the ICM if you're getting a multiple misfire code on cylinder #2 as thats the common failure point of the OEM ICM.