PDA

View Full Version : Perculiarities to the 2000 MY

theskuh
02-16-2007, 05:27 PM
So in anticipation of picking up my new to me ride next weekend I am wondering about the 2000 model year and what upgrade paths would make the most sense. Since it is drive by wire I read there are some issues (throttle shutoff with high boost) but correct me if i am wrong these are mostly limited to the 2001. I see that there are alot of 2000's on here and some that make a ton of power.

I am anticipating going BT at some point and from the looks of it probably 71r eliminator. It seems like that is the best bang for the buck. The other option is j31 right? I figure If I am going to swap a turbo I might just go a bit bigger and make all the power that I would want. for programming tapp or unitronic.

Would this be a logical engine upgrade path,

Boost gauge

I forgot -- exhaust? 2.5 or 3" ?

fmic while still running stock turbo is there anything motor that I can do before the turbo kit? wideband o2 sensor?

then basically buy the turbo and supporting stuff and go to work.

would you go with unitronic or ctapp? I am about 4 hours from tapp so it might be a neat trip to go get it tuned by them..

What did or would you do if you had this car right now.

maxspeed
02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
it certainly it is the most bang for the buck option.

Don Supreme
02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
A newb that actually spent the time reading and researching before making a clueless post.... Good job.

I have a 2000 and have to deal with the challenge of tuning DBW, but I love everything else... Especially the interior (black)... The older A4s don't match up (like my '99).

I would say SKIP the ko4 and go for something bigger. If you want to make the power, but run the stock engine then 2871 or 3071 (on the egde) is probably as far as you can go.

Good luck.

theskuh
02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
cool,

Yeah I am somewhat older noob (32) lol. I just haven't played around with turbo cars much. Did a supercharger on a myata for a friend that was a fun ride. I love cars and wrenching on them. Just haven't done much modding for a few years cause i was busy with work/house/life.

can I pick your brain a bit?

What are the specifics of the problem with the DBW? I read alot of posts about it not being ideal but I can't seem to find exactly what the problems are. I saw a post about throttle cut off but that seems to be okay in the 00. Would a good file like tapp or unitronic take care of any weirdness or is it something that is different? Also are you running the small valve head or did you swap it out? How much of a power diference does it make?

But yeah I was planning on skipping the k04 and going big. The fastest car I have ever owned was my modded mk2 gti (years ago) and that wasn't all too fast but it was a hell of a lot of fun. I now have the means and resources to do it more right and make some decent power. I am not sure of my time frame on getting this done it is something I will probably do over the next year I just like having things planned out and making logical purchases. I am not looking for a drag racing machine that has to take all comers but I would like something that is borderline nasty. I am thinking the 2871 would fit the bill.

I really have no fear ripping into an engine/car and doing whatever. the only thing I think I haven't done is a bottom end rebuild I always have just swapped the block out.

As for interiors, the only interior that i like maybe a shy better than the black is my friends 2.8. he has an older one (1996?) that he believes is german/euro spec. its trunk is made for a euro plate. It has what i believe is a real wood interior. It is really nice.

jbrentd
02-16-2007, 08:35 PM
cool, As for interiors, the only interior that i like better than the black is my friends 2.8. he has an older one (1996?) that he believes is german/euro spec. its trunk is made for a euro plate. It has what i believe is a real wood interior. It is really nice.

That sounds like a 96. I like the enterior of those too, but I'm a little biased.

Welcome.

theskuh
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah that is a sweet ride. His is red. Its been so long I can't remember when he bought it I think he got it off a 2 year lease in 98 or 99 has had it ever since. He just did springs and shocks in it. He is older then me close to or over 60 now so he takes his time. he also has a bmw that is dropped and nice. He had an older m3 convert that was so sick I loved bombing around in that thing top down with three friends but he traded that a while ago. I didn't get to drive it much but that was such a sweet ride.

Don Supreme
02-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Regarding throttle closure, this issue is easily resolved with a proper tune.

I have never had any throttle closing issues on my 2871 and I have run up to 23 psi on it.

I spoke with CTAPP recently and he doesn't have any big turbo (BT) files for 2000's, but you are close so you could always drive up and get a custom tune on the dyno (that would yield the most power). Otherwise, Unitronic has a BT tune for our cars (2000 atw ECU # 018p). In fact, I am selling one right now.

A full 2871r should be able to produce 300WHP on pump gas on our car. If I had to do it all over again I would start with a 3071. If you are going to go big turbo then do it right. The 3071 will make enough power for low 12 second 1/4 miles (on race gas).

burner799
02-17-2007, 04:47 AM
A newb that actually spent the time reading and researching before making a clueless post.... Good job.

I have a 2000 and have to deal with the challenge of tuning DBW, but I love everything else... Especially the interior (black)... The older A4s don't match up (like my '99).

I would say SKIP the ko4 and go for something bigger. If you want to make the power, but run the stock engine then 2871 or 3071 (on the egde) is probably as far as you can go.

Good luck.

99.5 FTMFW!!!!!!

theskuh
02-17-2007, 06:47 AM
A full 2871r should be able to produce 300WHP on pump gas on our car. If I had to do it all over again I would start with a 3071. If you are going to go big turbo then do it right. The 3071 will make enough power for low 12 second 1/4 miles (on race gas).

I think I am good with the 2871r elim. I am not interested in really pushing the edge. Just want something that is relatively proven and makes good power. I won't be draging it but basically want a fun fast daily driver.

Are there major reasons going 2871r elim and unitronic that would make going 3071 or full 2871 worth the extra work and money in my situtation? I know you can always chase hp I am just looking at a solution and that is decent and somewhat cost effective. If it is $1k more to do full 2871 to pull 30 hp is it worth it to me. I would have to get a better manifold anyway if I was going with the 2871? So the only other thing I would have to buy is a downpipe that I wouldn't have to buy with the elim? Trying to wrap my head around this.

94jedi
02-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Sounds like you're not looking at upgrading AFTER going BT. Just remember, this is an addiction. Look up some of my old psts. All I originally wanted to do was chip my car and that's it. Check my sig line, as you can see, I failed miserably.

So, if you're looking to "set it and forget it" just go for the 71R elim. That is by far the best bang for the buck.

theskuh
02-17-2007, 10:32 AM
cool, I hear you. Thats why I was wondering if i should go non elim to leave room for bigger turbos. but there are also plenty of things to buy outside of the engine bay to spend money on and I have a kid on the way so I know my mod time will be limited. I think/ hope that 250-280 awhp will be enough power to keep me happy. Shit my gti kept me happy at 150 or so.