PDA

View Full Version : :( help problem with grill

AHB900
02-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey guys i asked on here awhile ago on how to install and remove my grill and you guys helped me out but like the grill didnt arrive cause the guy ripped me off but im back and im recieving another rs4 grill tommorow you guys explained to me how to take off my stock grill and today im like let me go try to see if i can take it off. well i have no idea how to do it i dont know which clamps im supoes to unclamp are you guys talking about the silver ones that hold the surround in? but i doubt you guys mean that those only take out the grill surround. But what other clamps are their to take out i mean i tryed everything that looks like clamps but nothing seemed to budge the grill itself. i cant figure this out how stupid must i be to not be able to take off my grill. can someone please explain to me how to do this?

Thanks

SurferForever
02-15-2007, 04:30 PM
the ones on the top and side, you push them in and push the grill out. bottom doesnt have clips. just look to see what the top has and the bottom doesnt and you will see them.

mike-2ptzero
02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Just pop open the hood and look at the back of the grill, then you will see how the grill fits over the metal and what tabs need to be pushed. You have to push the one near the top corner and push the grill outward as you release the tab, once you get one out you just work your way to the next tab.

AHB900
02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
how many tabs are their? are they fat black plastic lookin tabs?

mike-2ptzero
02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
how many tabs are their? are they fat black plastic lookin tabs?

Yes they are but I dont know how many there are in total. There will be a line of them on the top, once you get the top of the grill out you can side it upward to take the bottom out since the bottom just has tabs that slide over the metal to hold it into place.

AHB900
02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I saw some black bendy lookin clamps i tryed poping them out but the freakin grill didnt budge i hope its not glued in or ne thing lol....

Korrect414
02-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Those are the right tabs, it make take a little bit of muscle but just keep trying.

AHB900
02-15-2007, 04:51 PM
So there isent a big chance of me breaking my freakin hood or something i shouldnt break if i put some force into it? lol

Korrect414
02-15-2007, 05:05 PM
You wont break your hood. Dont be afraid to muscle it. Worse case scenario is you might break some tabs.

AHB900
02-15-2007, 05:10 PM
but everyone says carefull dont break the tabs i mean do i even need those tabs for later? or i can just break those lol

Korrect414
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I broke at least one tab when I tried switching grills for the first time. I think i just got angry and didn't care anymore. I just wanted to get my new grill on.

SirDaft1
02-15-2007, 06:39 PM
once you do it once, its SOOO easy. First time i did it i had like 4 pairs of flathead screwdrivers b/c i was so careful. just pop the hood, put your hands on the inside of the grill once the hood is up. feel towards the top of the grill, and you'll see those black tabs. start all the way on one side (i start on the right side) and push down the tab while applying pressure to pop the grill out. keep one hand applying pressure while the other hand pops each tab out of place. don't be afraid to muscle it. once you get used to it, it should take no more than 10 seconds to get the grill out.

AHB900
02-15-2007, 06:43 PM
so breaking the tabs isent a problem unless i plan on puting the old grill back on right? their not stuff that are part of the hood itsself?

AudiSport12
02-15-2007, 06:50 PM
you shouldnt break the tabs. this is a .0293 on a 1-10 scale of easy. just push the black tabs in torwards the rings and once you do that, move to the next. once they are all pushed in push the grill out torwards you and it will just pop out. it wont hurt it if you break a tab. your putting in a new grille anyways so it doesnt really matter. just go do it, its very simple

LateraLex
02-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I always get pissed and really horse on it... and still haven't broken the tabs. I use a flathead screwdriver to help. Also, I find the hood latch sort of holds the grill down, so I prop the latch open. Once you get one tab out the rest come more easily.

AHB900
02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
iono guys let my grill come tom and ill give it a try if i get it on ill put up some pics before and after.... UPS says it should come tom and its on time sooooo i cant wait :)

SurferForever
02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
dude, its really not that hard, i walked outside of work and did it within 4 minutes when my grill came (i was so excited it came i had somebody bring it to my work in the middle of the day lol)

ProOnThaSnow
02-16-2007, 09:44 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:rKf5s8wJx4hdlM:http://ericseddyfications.typepad.com/erics_eddyfications/images/slowertraffic.jpg

4ringAR
02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
yea, im sure this has been said above, but i didnt read all of the posts. trust me i thought i was dumb when i tryed to get the old one off. all you have to do is pop the hood and hold it about 1/2 way open. swing yourself under( a headlamp may or may not be helpful) and with your fingers push the little black tabs on the top of the grill out. work from the outsides inwards. with a bit of muscle you should be able to push the grill out. you will figure it out once you get started.

as for putting it in. keep the hood partly open, from the outside, put the bottom of the grill in first and then the top. apply firm pressure to get it in. pull the claw looking thing that is the hood latch on the inside of the grill to get the latch to go thought the intended hole.

good luck with it. you will get it.

AHB900
02-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey guys the grill came today and i attempted to put it on and i got it on lol even though i heard a really loud snap from the old grill while taking it out i dont think i broke ne thing lol. but here are some pics of the grill.... Thanks for all the help guys

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/9964DSC00327.JPG comparing the old one and the new one...

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/9964DSC00329.JPG front shot of the new grill

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/9964DSC00333.JPG side shot and yes i kno i really really still need that drop lol...

Overal i really like the new look. It looks alot nicer than the stock one. And im sure itll look even nicer when i wash my car its a bit dirty right now.

SurferForever
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
happy you got though this hard time ok.