PDA

View Full Version : quattro has failed me.

maxspeed
02-14-2007, 09:42 PM
well i went out to get some pizza tonight, and to make a long story short my clutch burnt out when i got stuck in a no parking zone, so my car will be towed by the city later... i had tried calling AAA they sent a tow truck, which got stuck, once it got out it just left leaving me there never towning my car

the situation has got me sick.

sean1.8t
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
sucks man. i really feel your pain.. well not as bad, but i can imagine..

you needed a southbend anyways [;)]

seank
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
call AAA back and tell them to go get your car, that's why you pay for their services, don't take ridiculous excuses.

maxspeed
02-14-2007, 09:45 PM
also, i can out the car in fist gear, and release the clutch, and the car just keeps idling... any ideas?

maxspeed
02-14-2007, 09:55 PM
and, AAA said the company they had sent was the only one they had with a flat bed

SurferForever
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
tell them to find another company or you want you money back for your yearly dues

StreetUrchin
02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
tell them to find another company or you want you money back for your yearly dues

Agreed, sorry bout that man that sucks

Poopie
02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
that is week sauce on AAA's behalf. I think if you can drop your clutch and the engine still idles, the throw out bearing might be shattered.

Ado
02-14-2007, 10:25 PM
sorry to hear that.

TighTT
02-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow...I love the title "quattro has failed me". Quattro cant help people who have no idea how to drive.

MultiAudis
02-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Wow...I love the title "quattro has failed me". Quattro cant help people who have no idea how to drive.

was wondering how long that was gonna take to come up

ProOnThaSnow
02-15-2007, 07:55 AM
It sound slike AAA failed you, and your driving skillz didn't help much either.

maxspeed
02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
shitty driving skills? you try driving a lowered card in 2 feet of snow.

onemoremile
02-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Sounds more like poor judgment. [:p]

Eurotuned_A4
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
you were that hungry to drive in 2 feet of snow?

TighTT
02-15-2007, 10:20 AM

LOL!!! I have been driving lowered cars in snow for years. Obviously common sense has to play a roll in it too....otherwise everyone who drives in the snow will burn their clutches all to hell like you did. Quattro didnt fail you....your brain did.

http://images19.fotki.com/v274/photos/2/232908/896907/DSC_0022-vi.jpg?1138226421
This pic was taked when my car was raised up high (if you can call it that)...now its dumped and embarks on trips to VT every weekend.

michael66899
02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
It is also possible that you busted a cv joint, when mine went I had also been driving in the snow, and when I would let out the clutch, the car would just idle, it was putting all the power to the one tire, and the half shaft would just spin on the cv joint, but the car wouldnt budge.

maxspeed
02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
^ well thats good to hear

i admit it was a pretty bad judgement call, and im not blaming this on quattro really
but seriously, i was strandoned, then abandoned in a blizzard, i later found out we were in a state of emergency and it was illegal to be out driving

all this for 2 pounds of hot wings and a calzone.

oh yea, my car got towed last night, time to go get it out of the impound.

victorvu
02-15-2007, 10:37 AM
you were that hungry to drive in 2 feet of snow?

Isnt that what our cars are made for. thats why it comes with quattro. why else would he take the chance of taking his car out.

ProOnThaSnow
02-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Im sorry about your situation... but a lowered car, and 2 feet of snow, really dont mix - no matter how many corners of your car are connected to driveshafts. 2 feet of snow is something I'd do in my Samurai on 35's, because I had a winch, and usually a couple of other buddys to help tow my stupid ass out But I wouldn't try in my car, mostly for fear of something going wrong, wrecking, breaking shit, etc.

2LiterV8eater
02-15-2007, 10:50 AM
AAA sucks, they denied towing my M3 once for being modified!!!! Different rims, slightly lowered, I said I would even sign a waiver for damages and they said no.

Nor_Cal_Driver
02-15-2007, 11:32 AM
That sucks overall, AAA should eat your impound, fat chance though.

Sorry your clutch failed, the A4's clutch is it's glass jaw IMHO.

maxspeed
02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
AAA will be covering the impound and towing fees, theyre not paying the ticket for being illegally parked(i had to abandon it on the side of the road)

and i probably wont have my car for a month or so

mike-2ptzero
02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Isnt that what our cars are made for. thats why it comes with quattro. why else would he take the chance of taking his car out.

We own AWD cars not 4x4 trucks. Doesn't matter how many tires you put power to if you dont have the correct tires for the conditions.

Nor_Cal_Driver
02-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Damn, why a month?

CSHO1.8t
02-15-2007, 02:46 PM
i cant believe AAA flaked on you like that. AAA is supposed to save your ass in situations like that!

maxspeed
02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
norcaldriver: well, the audi shop in town here cant even look at it for a week and a half, then they gotta fix it, plus i dont have the funds to immediatley fix this, seeing as im a broke ass college student

on another note, im planning on goin gt3071 this summer, southbend stage 4 the way to go?

b00st
02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
i dont drive z audi in z snow no mo'. for fear of breakin off my front bumper...and i dont ride dirty ;)

my motorclub failed me too....they called 20 companies all of which denied me because i was lowered. CPT (chicago performance tuning) picked me up and all that was really need was some 2x4s. my car couldn't make it up in their race trailer without them blocks of wood.

Wholsea
02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
We own AWD cars not 4x4 trucks. Doesn't matter how many tires you put power to if you dont have the correct tires for the conditions.

Tires and ground clearance. It doesn't take much snow under the car to hold it up just high enough that you can't move around.

The quattro is good for going in slick conditions (wet, small amounts of snow, and semi-plowed roads) but you get snow up to the rocker panels and you are going to get stuck.

And remember, its all-wheel-drive not all-wheel-stop. So don't be drag racining in the snow and then complain that quattro has failed you when you can't stop and plow into the back of a dump truck...

20vpower
02-15-2007, 03:35 PM
shoulda just got it delivered

Euro-Tuner
02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
It is also possible that you busted a cv joint, when mine went I had also been driving in the snow, and when I would let out the clutch, the car would just idle, it was putting all the power to the one tire, and the half shaft would just spin on the cv joint, but the car wouldnt budge.

Im assuming thats a front track correct? (if only 1 tire was spinning...)

mike-2ptzero
02-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Im assuming thats a front track correct? (if only 1 tire was spinning...)

Both. If you break a CF or shaft the torsen will just spin that one shaft that has the least amount of resistance. Once this happens the car wont move and feel like the car isn't going into gear.

A4Shizzle
02-15-2007, 10:21 PM
I read quattro had and open center diff, but I thought we had a limited slip front or something....

SoFresh
02-16-2007, 12:56 AM
I agree... the title of this thread isnr correct... should be, my driving skills failed me... anyways, that does suck about AAA, you should call them and take off some of your dues.

LOL!!! I have been driving lowered cars in snow for years. Obviously common sense has to play a roll in it too....otherwise everyone who drives in the snow will burn their clutches all to hell like you did. Quattro didnt fail you....your brain did.

http://images19.fotki.com/v274/photos/2/232908/896907/DSC_0022-vi.jpg?1138226421
This pic was taked when my car was raised up high (if you can call it that)...now its dumped and embarks on trips to VT every weekend.

michael66899
02-16-2007, 01:26 AM
ya mines a quattro, it was just spinning the one axle with no resistance

killroy77
02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I had an axle break and the same thing happend. I thought it was the clutch too since I could put it in first and nothing happened. I had my car towed to a clutch place, initially but It turned out to be a bad axle that I had just replaced wich was still under Warranty so I didn't pay a dime. Clutch price was $900. Axle was $400

Daft
02-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I read quattro had and open center diff, but I thought we had a limited slip front or something....

Front = open diff

Center = Torsen diff

Rear = open diff

Front and rear diffs are locked/unlocked via brakes and the ABS sensors. (aka. EDL)

ABS sensors are a speed sensing system that reacts to high wheel speed.

The torsen diff is a torque sensing system that reacts to actual changes in the resistance measured on either end of the diff.

Torque sensing is better because it reacts immediately and does not wait until a wheel begins to slip.

DND
02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Tires and ground clearance. It doesn't take much snow under the car to hold it up just high enough that you can't move around.

The quattro is good for going in slick conditions (wet, small amounts of snow, and semi-plowed roads) but you get snow up to the rocker panels and you are going to get stuck.

Ties yes, ground clearance on dry ground yes, but snow moves unless it is incredibly wet and heavy and you can normally plow right through it in a quattro if nothing is wrong with the car. The worst that will happen is you'll get pulled around by different height drifts or ruts.

I drove into the yard of the shop my brother worked at one night after a heavy snow fall and I "plowed" a path in about one hundred yards, turned around without any problem, and drove back out in my own tracks for simplicity. I didn't measure the actual depth but it was definitely deeper than the height of my factory sport suspension. And that was on Nokian WR's which aren't as good as a dedicated snow tire.

I agree quattro won't help you stop though. [;)]

superman_006
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
If your speedometer is still reading speed when you let the clutch out..... something is broke in your drivetrain. If you had just one wheel spinning on a quattro something in your drivetrain was already broke

If you dont push the clutch in when slowing down in the snow (and gear down) it will help stopping distances alot, even works great with the ABS

JMaxx93
02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I want some hot wings

JMaxx93
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
If you dont push the clutch in when slowing down in the snow (and gear down) it will help stopping distances alot, even works great with the ABS

I never understood this one. Can someone explain to me why it makes a difference to your tire if its rotation is being resisted by the pad to the rotor or by the engine through the axle?

theskuh
02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
If I get really out of shape i will left foot break and keep my foot in the gas a bit. this keeps the wheels spinning and not locking up or sliding while reducing speed quickly takes some practice though. Works wonders on some cars less on others. I think its the lockup of the wheels that you try to avoid by using engine breaking.

superman_006
02-16-2007, 09:10 PM
if your engine is spinning and your drive train is engauged then your drive train would have to be turning....
this would make at least one front wheel and one rear wheel be turning (at a sycronized speed) working with the brakes on the A4 all 4 wheels are more regulated.... a wheel lock-up would be a lot less likely, unlike if you push the clutch in and jam on the brakes, sure the ABS works great on the A4 but the wheels being sycronized together it the hole "quattro" ideal, then when you but it with the ABS if one front wheel would lock-up the other front one would have to sycronized with the rear two even if it was on ice.

dannslc
02-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Make sure those impound dicks didn't mess up your car. They don't really care about the car, they just remove it asap. Good luck with your car though.
They really messed up my corrado.

maxspeed
02-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Okay, just got a call from the shop, its definatley the clutch, i think im gonna go with either a southbend stage 4, or a stage 5

CaSp3r9
02-17-2007, 01:57 PM
What are your future plans for the car? A stage 4-5 clutch is way overkill for a chipped k03. I'm running the Southbend OFE HD (stage 3) clutch and I absolutely love it. It engages very smooth. I've heard it holds up really well with a BT setup too.

mike-2ptzero
02-17-2007, 04:22 PM
What are your future plans for the car? A stage 4-5 clutch is way overkill for a chipped k03. I'm running the Southbend OFE HD (stage 3) clutch and I absolutely love it. It engages very smooth. I've heard it holds up really well with a BT setup too.

Even my first stage 1+(2200 lbs) from WOA back in 2001 was enough to hold a hard launch with my K03 that was making 250hp/300tq at the crank. Problem with the really high stage kits is they are not street friendly. Most of the B6's with BT's that I have driven had SB stage 4's on them and held up great with the power they were making.

Wholsea
02-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Ties yes, ground clearance on dry ground yes, but snow moves unless it is incredibly wet and heavy and you can normally plow right through it in a quattro if nothing is wrong with the car. The worst that will happen is you'll get pulled around by different height drifts or ruts.

I drove into the yard of the shop my brother worked at one night after a heavy snow fall and I "plowed" a path in about one hundred yards, turned around without any problem, and drove back out in my own tracks for simplicity. I didn't measure the actual depth but it was definitely deeper than the height of my factory sport suspension. And that was on Nokian WR's which aren't as good as a dedicated snow tire.

I agree quattro won't help you stop though. [;)]

You can plow through anything if you have speed, I'm saying, from a dead stop, and snow up to your rocker panels, you will have a difficult time driving around...

Ever try to drive an RC Car in the grass?

My AWD RC car does really well on the pavement, but gets no traction in the grass... Same with my A4, does really well on pavement and snow so long as it isn't stacked high, but you get snow up to the belly pan to the point that you are pushing the snow, you are going to have difficulty moving...

maxspeed
02-18-2007, 10:27 AM

i have a gt3071r waiting to go in in the spring

DND
02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
You can plow through anything if you have speed, I'm saying, from a dead stop, and snow up to your rocker panels, you will have a difficult time driving around...

My caveat was if the snow was heavy and wet vs. light and fluffy. In lighter snow like I was in in my example it was absolutely no problem from a dead stop, practically unnoticeable. For comparison though, I parked with two wheels in a heavy wet (melting) drift left by a snow plow yesterday and I can certainly see how that could cause some extra clutch wear. Having the whole car in two feet of heavy slush that's still mostly frozen would be a problem. [:D]

So, for a newbie question, what's a good daily driver clutch that can handle a little bit of tuning and "accidental" abuse? And how do the different options compare to what comes from the factory?

mike-2ptzero
02-18-2007, 11:25 AM
i have a gt3071r waiting to go in in the spring

Plan on using it as a DD? If so stay away from a puck clutch setup.

maxspeed
02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
mike: yes, i will be using it as a DD, do you think the southbend stage 4 is the right clutch?

mike-2ptzero
02-18-2007, 11:45 AM
mike: yes, i will be using it as a DD, do you think the southbend stage 4 is the right clutch?

yes

Tiluleshpingen
02-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I DONT GET IT WHAT THIS HAS TO DO WITH QUATTRO.. IF YOU F^^KED UP UR CLUTCH HAS NON TO OD WITH THE QUATTRO.. DONT GET IT STILL GOD FORBIDD I THOUGH U CRASHED UR CAR..sorry for yelling