PDA

View Full Version : cruise control speed input

jkern
02-12-2007, 12:06 PM
does the B5 cruise control get its speed sensing from the ABS system? i know the newer platforms do, but not sure about the B5.

jkern
02-18-2007, 09:35 AM
any thoughts?

wood_e
02-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty sure it does. My CC doesn't work and I'm thinking either the clutch switch or I need to fix my ABS.

superman_006
02-18-2007, 10:21 AM
According to the bentley wiring diragram there is a vehicle speed sensor, it has a red/brown wire and a brown wire going to it, My ABS module not even on my car and the cruise still works, so you can rule out that the ABS module controls it,
If the speedometer is working your vehicle speed sensor is deffinatly working

other things to check......
their is a switch on the brake petal and also on the clutch petal if its a manual
If its a auto the gear postion/ multi-funtion switch by the gear selector
I would check the cruise control module (under the ABS module) for corrosion in the connector and vacuum leaks, also follow the vaccum line to the accuator and make sure the diapham is good the linkage is connected, you can push the accuator in my hand after you pull the vacuum hose off and then seal the hole with your thumb, this should hold the throttle body open, then when you move your thumb it should go back to normal
Normally the part that screws up in the cruise control is the multi-funtion switch on the steering colum, it normally just needs cleaned but requires you to remove the air bag to do it properly. I belive there is a write-up in the DIY section with good pics

If your out driving and want to check the clutch/brake switches I would try acctivating the cruise while pulling up on the petal with your foot, if the switch is just wore-out SOMETIMES you can get it to make contact that way, best way to check them though is with a ohms meter

Vreihenmotor6
11-12-2007, 11:43 AM
will the B5 start without the clutch pushed in?

I just got mine and I can start it without a foot on the clutch, and my cruise doesn't work, I'm wondering if this is indicitive of having a broken clutch switch

devmaster
11-13-2007, 07:15 AM
will the B5 start without the clutch pushed in?

I just got mine and I can start it without a foot on the clutch, and my cruise doesn't work, I'm wondering if this is indicitive of having a broken clutch switch

ya. u prob have a broken clutch switch. it definatly shouldent do that. atleast mine needs the clutch..

agentsmith988
11-13-2007, 07:19 AM
my 97 doesn't need the clutch pushed in and the CC works just fine...weird...

devmaster
11-13-2007, 07:27 AM
o.. maybe it is a facelift thing.. because it even gives me the idot warning on the driver display.. 2 apply the clutch before starting.. but my CC has been acting skrewy