PDA

View Full Version : B5 S4 Rear Brake Question

cleveland222
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Alright, I've searched endlessly, and just want to know if there are any options I'm not aware of.

I'm looking for a larger rear brake set-up for my B5 S4. I've seen the kits from ECS, Alcon, Brembo, and others. My question is: Can I piece together a kit myself and save some $$$ ??? I could care less about going with the best thing out there. My only modivation is I can't stand the tiny ass rear brakes. With huge fronts it looks like total rice to me. I just got a set of 19s , and I can't put em on till I get some rear brakes more comperable to the fronts.

I need the largest rotor I can slap on for the least amount of money. Any ideas?? Can I slap on anything from another Audi platform??

ECS gives another 2 inches in diamater for something like $700. I could care less about the 2 piece rotors. Any advice would be GREATLY apreciated.

BremboGuy
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Rear upgrade w/ OEM fronts???
Or
Do you have a front upgrade???

cleveland222
02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Either. If I absolutely have to upgrade the fronts to get the size I'm looking for out of the rear I will. I'd prefer not to though.

4AudiQ
02-12-2007, 04:33 PM
How about these?
http://www.streetwerke.com/xcart/product.php?productid=328&cat=118&page=1

cleveland222
02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
How about these?
http://www.streetwerke.com/xcart/product.php?productid=328&cat=118&page=1

I've seen those, but the ECS kit is larger (306mm vs. 298mm) and a hundred bucks cheaper.

cleveland222
02-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Anyone?

Will B6 brakes bolt up?

jeremy@matrix
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I've seen those, but the ECS kit is larger (306mm vs. 298mm) and a hundred bucks cheaper.

Who's making ECS' rear rotors?

Also, which front BBK do you have?

cleveland222
02-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Who's making ECS' rear rotors?
Unfortunately you can't compare the quality of most rotors to Alcon's rotor quality.

Also, which front BBK do you have?

I don't have a front BBK, and don't really need one. I just want rear brakes closer in size to the fronts. I'm hoping I can up-size the rears, and adjust via a proportioning valve or something. May be wishfull thinking though. And, I have no idea who makes ECS's rotors. Any suggestions?

jeremy@matrix
02-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't have a front BBK, and don't really need one. I just want rear brakes closer in size to the fronts. I'm hoping I can up-size the rears, and adjust via a proportioning valve or something. May be wishfull thinking though. And, I have no idea who makes ECS's rotors. Any suggestions?

Ok, understood.
I have checked with STaSIS and there would be no need for a proportioning valve--bias will be fine.

I would highly recommend the STaSIS rear kit;

STaSIS TrackSport 11.7" rear brake kit for B5 S4/A4; 2 STaSIS 298mm x 20mm vented/gas slotted rotors, 2 STaSIS rotor mounting hats, 2 STaSIS carrier mounting brackets, Ferodo 2500 high performance brake pads, Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines (rear only), Motul 5.1 high performance brake fluid
$795

Beware of many other rotors out there which may be OEM rotors which have been drilled (and/or slotted) afterwards, vs a rotor like STaSIS' which have slots cast into the rotor during manufacturing (their C slots are the hottest technology, like the Alcon front rotors; to provide the driver with better pedal feel/feedback). Rotors that have been drilled/slotted after the manufacturing process can lead to premature cracking and failure.

HTH,
Jeremy

cleveland222
02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks Jeremy. Great info. How much are replacement rotors?

jeremy@matrix
02-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks Jeremy. Great info. How much are replacement rotors?

You're very welcome.

$81/ea for rotor. Hardware would be about $50/set.

LMK!

BremboGuy
02-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Jeremy,

Is that an actual Alcon disc??? (298x20mm)

Alcon Advantage line, or Alcon Race line??

Curious because the 298mm (or anything 300mm "ish") could be really useful for OEM size, rear applications.

jkimspe
02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Jeremy are the ferodo pads quieter than the axxis ultimates?

jeremy@matrix
02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Jeremy,

Is that an actual Alcon disc??? (298x20mm)

Alcon Advantage line, or Alcon Race line??

Curious because the 298mm (or anything 300mm "ish") could be really useful for OEM size, rear applications.

Hey Gary,

<egg on face>
For some reason, I had in my notes that STaSIS rear kit included an Alcon rotor. I have checked again and this isn't the case. I apologize to everyone for the misinformation.

The Alcon race line is what STaSIS uses for the front setup.

I still stand behind our thoughts that a rotor with holes or slots cast into the rotor upon manufacturing vs ones with the holes drilled or slots cut after the manufacturing process, will result in a more reliable rotor. Would you agree Gary?

jeremy@matrix
02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Jeremy are the ferodo pads quieter than the axxis ultimates?

Which model Ferodo's? DS2500's?

jkimspe
02-20-2007, 01:27 PM
sorry... yeah the ds2500's.

jeremy@matrix
02-20-2007, 01:44 PM
sorry... yeah the ds2500's.

Honestly I'm not sure.
We don't use the DS2500's much day-to-day (mainly use Pagid RS4-2-1/black, Mintex red box, and SBS w/ STaSIS) and have only used the Axxis Ultimate's a few times, sorry. Can anyone else offer any thoughts?

jkimspe
02-20-2007, 03:02 PM
is the sbs an option for the stasis rear kit? and how is that for daily driving.

jeremy@matrix
02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
is the sbs an option for the stasis rear kit? and how is that for daily driving.

Unfortunately not--only Ferodo DS2500 for street or DS3000 for track.

DS2500's on the street are a nice pad for fast street/mild track. They're a bit similar to the Pagid RS4-2-1 black's we like.

STASIK A4
02-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Correct me if im wrong... but dont front brakes do like 80&#37; of braking? so why would any one consider upgrading rear before upgrading fronts?

4AudiQ
02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
That 100 Bucs is cut in about half when you take into account the ECS Kit does not come with pads while the Streetwerks Kit includes pads.

jeremy@matrix
02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Correct me if im wrong... but dont front brakes do like 80% of braking? so why would any one consider upgrading rear before upgrading fronts?

He just wants them for a more even look front-rear, which is fine.

jeremy@matrix
02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
That 100 Bucs is cut in about half when you take into account the ECS Kit does not come with pads while the Streetwerks Kit includes pads.

Great call on the STaSIS vs ECS kit. I didn't notice before that ECS' kit doesn't come with pads. It doesn't come with fluid either, which you'd need for a bleed after installing the SS lines.

So, add in about $50 for pads, $25 for fluid...knocks the price difference down to about $30. [up] [up]

B18b1ex
02-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Jeremy, I'm considering upgrading my rears also, and before someone jumps on me, I have front bbk. I want to know what was included in the B6 upgrade. Is it a two piece rotor? Do you have pics? B18b1ex@yahoo.com

Thanks
Sean

jeremy@matrix
02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Jeremy, I'm considering upgrading my rears also, and before someone jumps on me, I have front bbk. I want to know what was included in the B6 upgrade. Is it a two piece rotor? Do you have pics? B18b1ex@yahoo.com

Thanks
Sean

It is a 2pc rotor (rotor/hat);

STaSIS TrackSport 12" rear brake kit for B6 A4; 2 STaSIS 305x10mm solid/gas slotted rotors, 2 STaSIS rotor mounting hats, 2 STaSIS carrier mounting brackets, SBS high performance brake pads, Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines (rear only), Motul 5.1 high performance brake fluid
$795

http://www.stasisengineering.com/Admin/MainImage/TSRearmain.JPG
http://www.stasisengineering.com/Admin/LargeImage/A4TSrearLG.jpg

(A B6 S4 rear kit is coming out as well).

Email sent Sean.
LMK if we can help at all.

B18b1ex
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Forgot to mention I have B6S4.
How long before that is ready and what does it consist of and cost?

Thanks again.
Sean

jeremy@matrix
02-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Forgot to mention I have B6S4.
How long before that is ready and what does it consist of and cost?

Thanks again.
Sean

Hey Sean,

A few weeks until the kit is released.

STaSIS TrackSport 13" rear brake kit for B6 S4; 2 STaSIS 332x22mm solid/gas slotted rotors, 2 STaSIS rotor mounting hats, 2 STaSIS carrier mounting brackets, SBS high performance brake pads, Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines (rear only), Motul 5.1 high performance brake fluid
$795

B18b1ex
02-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Sean,

A few weeks until the kit is released.

STaSIS TrackSport 13" rear brake kit for B6 S4; 2 STaSIS 332x22mm solid/gas slotted rotors, 2 STaSIS rotor mounting hats, 2 STaSIS carrier mounting brackets, SBS high performance brake pads, Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines (rear only), Motul 5.1 high performance brake fluid
$795

Thanks, I was thinking of larger calipers too, but this may be ok for now.

Jeremy I'm going to share this information with the B6/B7 S4 forum.

Sean

jeremy@matrix
02-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I was thinking of larger calipers too, but this may be ok for now.

Jeremy I'm going to share this information with the B6/B7 S4 forum.

Sean

I think you'll have a hard time finding a larger caliper setup for the rear, especially with e-brake integration.

Yes, please share, thanks!

ccroader
03-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I just happened on this thread from a search and noticed you're talking about the stasis rear tracksport. I just installed the tracksport rear on my allroad to match the stasis/alcon 6 pot on front. It's basically the S4 setup. Looks fantastic, and so far so good on the braking. Still need to do one more bedding/temp cycle before they're dialed in but I just love seeing those little half moon slots on the big discs front and rear now.

As far as pads, I currently use DS2500's on front and rear after being very disappointed in the SBS pads. I tried both the protrack and protouring sbs pads on the front alcons, and the noise was absolutely ridiculous, especially at very slow speeds. Sounded like a metal grinder at every stop sign, and stopping power was not good when cold. The DS2500's are silent, relatively low dust, easy to bed, and offer consistent stopping power at all temps. Couldn't be happier with the setup now.

One thing I forgot to think about was whether my 16inch spare will fit over the rear brakes. Gonna test that right now, and may be in the market for a 17 inch spare if it doesn't cover the tracksports.

jeremy@matrix
03-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I just happened on this thread from a search and noticed you're talking about the stasis rear tracksport. I just installed the tracksport rear on my allroad to match the stasis/alcon 6 pot on front. It's basically the S4 setup. Looks fantastic, and so far so good on the braking. Still need to do one more bedding/temp cycle before they're dialed in but I just love seeing those little half moon slots on the big discs front and rear now.

As far as pads, I currently use DS2500's on front and rear after being very disappointed in the SBS pads. I tried both the protrack and protouring sbs pads on the front alcons, and the noise was absolutely ridiculous, especially at very slow speeds. Sounded like a metal grinder at every stop sign, and stopping power was not good when cold. The DS2500's are silent, relatively low dust, easy to bed, and offer consistent stopping power at all temps. Couldn't be happier with the setup now.

One thing I forgot to think about was whether my 16inch spare will fit over the rear brakes. Gonna test that right now, and may be in the market for a 17 inch spare if it doesn't cover the tracksports.

Sorry to hear about your SBS being noisy. Our clients' (and our own) haven't ever been consistently noisy.

Duchenbagen
03-17-2007, 03:40 AM
You could also do this upgrade. CLICK HERE (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel1.shtml)

dougyfresh
04-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Jeremy,
I'm assuming the STaSIS kit uses the stock B6 A4 rear calipers?

Do the carriers allow for any B6 rear pad usage? or a specific pad design? If any B6 pad works, then is it possible to buy just the rotors and caliper brackets rather than the whole kit?

Thanks,
Doug

It is a 2pc rotor (rotor/hat);

STaSIS TrackSport 12" rear brake kit for B6 A4; 2 STaSIS 305x10mm solid/gas slotted rotors, 2 STaSIS rotor mounting hats, 2 STaSIS carrier mounting brackets, SBS high performance brake pads, Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines (rear only), Motul 5.1 high performance brake fluid
$795

jeremy@matrix
04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Jeremy,
I'm assuming the STaSIS kit uses the stock B6 A4 rear calipers?

Do the carriers allow for any B6 rear pad usage? or a specific pad design? If any B6 pad works, then is it possible to buy just the rotors and caliper brackets rather than the whole kit?

Thanks,
Doug

Hey Doug,

Yes, all of their rear kits use the OEM rear calipers.
Unfortunately they don't sell the components separately. They only sell complete kits that are designed to provide a well rounded package.

dougyfresh
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the reply. Are the rotors vented in addition to being slotted?

jeremy@matrix
04-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. Are the rotors vented in addition to being slotted?

Anytime.
B6 A4 rear rotors aren't vented.
B5's are.

TT S4
04-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Alright, I've searched endlessly, and just want to know if there are any options I'm not aware of.

I'm looking for a larger rear brake set-up for my B5 S4. I've seen the kits from ECS, Alcon, Brembo, and others. My question is: Can I piece together a kit myself and save some $$$ ??? I could care less about going with the best thing out there. My only modivation is I can't stand the tiny ass rear brakes. With huge fronts it looks like total rice to me. I just got a set of 19s , and I can't put em on till I get some rear brakes more comperable to the fronts.

I need the largest rotor I can slap on for the least amount of money. Any ideas?? Can I slap on anything from another Audi platform??

ECS gives another 2 inches in diamater for something like $700. I could care less about the 2 piece rotors. Any advice would be GREATLY apreciated.

the A8/ S8 rear rotors will work on the S4 rear