PDA

View Full Version : Let it warm up? Or get in and Drive?

JMaxx93
02-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm curious what you guys think. The owners manual advises getting in and driving so the car can warm up quicker. But I know in my case, my car would never warm up. I work 1 mile from where I live. :)

sean1.8t
02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
i let it sit for about 1 minute before i take off.

then i NEVER get into boost until my oil temp gets higher than 150*

SurferForever
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
i usually start it like 10 minutes before i have to leave but if i am in a rush i start it and wait for the secondary air pump goies off and then dont boost until the oil warms up. Why do i wait until the secondary air pump turns off? I dunno. Just seems right i guess . . .

AudiRacerS4
02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
yeah i usually start it 10-15 min before i leave since its cold out. but i never get on it until the oil warms up to at least 175*

onemoremile
02-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Start and let it run until the idle drops under 1000. Then stay out of boost and under 3000 until the oil temp needle moves.

CaSp3r9
02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
I usually let mine idle for a couple of minutes before I start driving and I keep my RPM's as low as possible until my coolant temp. reaches the 12 o'clock mark and I don't start boosting until my oil temp reaches the second mark ~170* or so.
Oh, and if you're going to let your car idle outside make sure you're there or are using a turbo timer/lock your car to let it warm up if you go back inside. I've read about several instances where peoples cars have been stolen within a matter of seconds because they were letting it warm up and walked back inside to grab something. This happened to Jeremy's stgIII S4 (from Matrix Integrated) one morning literally within 30 seconds and I'd hate to see it happen to anyone else's car.

AudiRacerS4
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
^^ so true, I was just reading and article in turbo magazine on how many cars are stolen when people let them warm up and walk away for a second

JMaxx93
02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I live on a military installation right now. Shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't.
And I have a car stolen so I'm still sore from that. its was a 13 sec civic. :(

jbrentd
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I have heard people attribute some sludge problems to letting your car warm up before driving it. The owner's manual says to get in a drive it, but to not let your rpm's go above 3k. That's what I do, but I don't what I would do if I lived so close to work that the car never warmed up. Can you take the scenic route or something?

AudiRacerS4
02-11-2007, 07:19 PM
yes its not good to let the car sit for a long time and warm up and it does state that in teh owners manual

JMaxx93
02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Can you take the scenic route or something?

That's just what I'll have to do I guess. I was tryin to avoid that if possible but, hey, I get to drive that much more ;)

Lazer Viking
02-11-2007, 07:34 PM
i start it, have a cigarette get in an go taking it easy for the first 5-10 minutes

A4Shizzle
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Its not good for fuel economy... I think thats what it says in the manual.

jjjoe
02-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I just let it idle for a minute or two. But no flogging until the oil temp gauge moves off of the stop.

ShawFM
02-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm curious what you guys think. The owners manual advises getting in and driving so the car can warm up quicker. But I know in my case, my car would never warm up. I work 1 mile from where I live. :)

Drive it like you stole it!
After you have gotten in it started and driven it like a granny (kinda) until it is fully warmed up. Why waste the gas or the time letting the thing sit. They say drive it to warm it up drive it. I never get it above 2500rpm until it is warm, which for me is a 10 minute - 3 mile drive to the highway at 20-35 mph (mornings traffic is slow) with several traffic lights (6 of them things). Then the temp gauge is center the oil is a starting to read on the gauge and I am on the hightway.

quadaxel
02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
get in and drive. but i have 2.8, so dont need to wait for it to warm up for the boost.

sean1.8t
02-12-2007, 03:28 AM
get in and drive. but i have 2.8, so dont need to wait for it to warm up for the boost.

every engine needs a warm up period.. oil is only doing it's real duty if it is up to temp.. otherwise you're just scrapping cold pistons with cold cyllinders

shaahid
02-12-2007, 04:11 AM
How do you keep the car from going into boost?

A4Shizzle
02-12-2007, 04:57 AM
By keeping the pedal off of the floor, at least thats the easiest way.

1 ate T
02-12-2007, 05:01 AM
How do you keep the car from going into boost?

It's easy to tell when the boost pressure is increasing... If you can feel it, or hear your turbo getting louder, then you are boosting. Drive slowly, and you won't have problems [up] or.. Buy a boost gauge.. that helps..

soupie69uk
02-12-2007, 06:38 AM
I just get in and drive, just take it easy till the oil temp gauge moves.

Militant-Grunt
02-12-2007, 06:46 AM
I let it idle for about a minute, just enough until it drops off below 1000rpm, then I don't over 4000. I mostly shift at 2500-3500 in first then 3k in second and just settle it into 4th. But from other posts I'm guessing not over 3k?

94jedi
02-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Start and let it run until the idle drops under 1000. Then stay out of boost and under 3000 until the oil temp needle moves.
that pretty much what I do. about a minute or so if it's really cold. spring & summer usually, 30 - 45 secs is good enough.

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Lately I've been starting the car, brushing the snow off of it, and rhen getting in and driving, but like the OP, I live about a mile to work. My temp gauge just starts moving when I pull into the lot at work. Hell, my heater isn't even working from my house to here... it kinda sucks!

sliverwagon
02-12-2007, 08:01 AM
IM my 2.8 I warmed up for about 10-1 mins in my 1.8T I waited till the RPMs droped to normal idle but never hit full boost till the motor was warm

rubez
02-12-2007, 08:24 AM
i tend to hop in and drive relatively quickly. personally i've found that it takes a considerably longer time for turbo charged cars to warm up when compared to NA cars... any insight as to why this may be?[confused]

A4pilot
02-12-2007, 08:42 AM
My mechanic said to also let the car sit for about 2-3 minutes after drivingto let all the oil seep out of turbo etc... He said that shutting the car off immediately on a turbo car is one of the easiest ways to ruin the turbo since oil pools up and clogs it! Is this true?[drive] [wrench]

SurferForever
02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
My mechanic said to also let the car sit for about 2-3 minutes after drivingto let all the oil seep out of turbo etc... He said that shutting the car off immediately on a turbo car is one of the easiest ways to ruin the turbo since oil pools up and clogs it! Is this true?[drive] [wrench]

the oil needs to run through the turbo and cool it. if it doesnt cool properly then it can "burn out" early

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah, you want to let it not only cool down, but allow it to pump excessive amounts out, otherwise it'll sit there and bake. Hense a turbo-timer... always a good idea on turbo'd cars.

Audisport0808
02-12-2007, 08:57 AM
If you only live a mile from work... why not walk ar bike or something..?

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Oil cools the turbo (in addition to coolant) and that turbo gets damn hot. If you're pushing it hard then it is a good idea to let it run to cool it down. If you're just commuting home then drive casually for a mile or two before parking and shutting it off.

If you let it run for 2-3 minutes after driving then oil will not seep out of the turbo. As long as the engine is running your oil pump is constantly circulating oil through the turbo. The only time oil will seep out of the turbo is after you shut the car off.

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah, you want to let it not only cool down, but allow it to pump excessive amounts out, otherwise it'll sit there and bake. Hense a turbo-timer... always a good idea on turbo'd cars.

Does it have an expandable reservoir or something? It doesn't pump oil out, it pumps it in. There is no turbo oil scavenging pump.The oil passes through the turbo. It takes heat away from the turbo. A turbo timer only serves to protect a turbo car from an undisciplined owner. A few minutes of casual driving is much better than letting it idle. Airflow through the radiator will cool both the coolant and the oil which will cool down the turbo, head, block, etc..

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 09:08 AM
There's 6-8" of snow on the ground right now. I'm neither biking, or walking. In the summer (if I still work where I do now), I will definately be biking to work. I almost thought about firing up the ol' Ski-Doo and riding it to work this morning, but I figured by this afternoon the roads wouldn't be covered enough to make it worth riding. We need another foot or so then I'd ride it everywhere.

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
And yeah, I meant pump cold oil into it to cool it down... I am still half asleep in my office, sorry.

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I rode my bike (Santa Cruz Heckler) to work every day for 13 months. The hottest day was over 95 and the coldest was below zero. There were a lot of days that it was freezing rain or sleet or more than a foot of snow but I still made it. The hardest part was getting out the door. It was 6.5 miles to work right through the center of the city. 13 miles a day plus after work trail rides gave me a resting heart rate of 39 bpm. It took 30-45 minutes in a car depending on traffic and 15-25 on a bike. Can't beat that. [:D]

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, here, for some reason it seems we are the only house on our street to shovel the sidewalk, or driveway for that matter. The plow trucks NEVER run in this town it seems. I've seen one day when they plowed this year, and the snow/ice was already melting away anyways. And when they did plow, I just had to re-shovel the sidewalk. If I did take the snomobile, it'd be a hell of a lot faster, and more fun, plus it'd probably be cheaper than taking the car, for the simple fact half the way here I am sitting at stoplights, and driving 5mph behind people who freak out because of snow. I got quattro, GTFO of my way! If people would just give themselves enough time to brake then they could do 25-30 mph and not have to worry about the snow, but they don't, so I just follow behind them.

LateraLex
02-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Good thread... I was thinking about this the other day. I usually wait for the RPM's to die down before driving but not sure why. I can't really think of a good reason. Like everyone else I definitely don't boost until the engine oil is up to temp. If you have any trouble telling if you are in boost - then you should get a boost gauge!

Like Jim I never let the engine cool just at idle. Just take 'er easy the last few minutes of your drive and the added airflow will do plenty to cool the turbo down. 139K and counting on the stock K03....

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 09:28 AM
The real reason I won't just let a car idle to cool down is track days. After a 20 minute session I used to let the car idle with the hood up, windows down, and heat full blast for 10 minutes or so. It just didn't cool it down all that well. I started taking it out on the street immediately after sessions and it really did the trick. I just drove 5 or 6 miles down the road and it was significantly cooler. After turning around and getting back to the track it was at normal operating temps. The only problem there is finding a spot to turn around that won't coat the R-compound tires with gravel.

ModifiedA4
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
get in and drive. the manual says to do this for the quattro system. basically letting the engine warm up and then hauling ass on a cold tranny is a bad thing :)

maxspeed
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
always let it warm up, the oxygen sensor need to warm up, the maf should be given some time to warm up, not to mention the oil...

JMaxx93
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
If you only live a mile from work... why not walk ar bike or something..?

6 degrees.

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 10:21 AM
6 degrees.

wuss. [:D]

my other winter tires:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_4094.jpg

er1c
02-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah. Definitely--- it's only a mile--- as long as it's not 10 degrees out, get some fresh air!

JMaxx93
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
wuss. [:D]

your mom[cool]

AAQSC
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
I normally hop in the car and go. I have a turbo timer when it comes to letting things cool down.

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
your mom[cool]

Would walk it every day. [up]

ShawFM
02-12-2007, 01:15 PM
6 degrees.
If my motorcycle would start and there was no snow or ice on the ground I would ride. The coldest has been about 0 degrees. But then again the throttle froze open that day and that was the last time I rode below freezing temp. Kinda scares you when you keep acceerating when you don't want to.

onemoremile
02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
A bud rode his super motard to work through last winter. He only missed 10 days of riding.

Cosmic Fur
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I noticed in mildly cold temps (close to 32F), when I start her up, her RPMs start at about 1100, and after about 30 seconds drop down to the resting 750, so that's when I drive off. In colder temps, she starts slightly below 1000 and then it takes her like 5 minutes to drop to resting idle speed. I don't wait that long though - still the usual minute and I'm off.

P.S. Those of you who idle their car for 10+ minutes every morning should be shot for needlessly dumping CO2 into our already fucked up environment.

P.P.S. What is considered "hard" driving? Most of the time I shift at 3000, but sometimes I'll shift at 4000 if I wanna go a little faster (even while the oil temp needle is at rock bottom). I rarely ever shift above the 4000 mark unless I'm really into it and the car is all warmed up and everything.

Tiluleshpingen
02-12-2007, 01:48 PM
just like somone said walk or get a bike .. get those muscles going.
usually the bigger the engine is the faster it warms.. my 2000 bmw 2.5litre warms up in 3 mins literaly .. thats why the 2.8 A4 should warm faster
if we let 1.8t to idle for a long time it cause engine wear i think becasue there isn ot much oil flowing around?! what i do is turn the car let Rpms drop wait about 1 min more.. drive away shifting under 3500rpms.. try not to get in the boost.. when i get to work or w/e let it sit for 2 mins..

dukez
02-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Around my parts, it barely gets cold, so heres my early morning routine.

1. Start Car.
2. Pop Trunk
3. Pickup squeegee.
4. Squeegee frost/raindrops from all windows
5. Get in car
6. Drive

This all takes about 2 minutes at max.
The manual says letting the car idle warmup causes a bunch of pollution since the CAT is only active when hot. And the car gets hot faster by driving it. [up]

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Polution kicks ass.

Yuikio
02-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I just get in and drive, just take it easy till the oil temp gauge moves.

me too.

sean1.8t
02-12-2007, 05:42 PM
The manual says letting the car idle warmup causes a bunch of pollution since the CAT is only active when hot. And the car gets hot faster by driving it. [up]

that's what the secondary air system is for.. if you are unlucky enough to have it that is [;)]

Beemer832
02-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I warm my car up for a good 10 mins before I leave. I have a 1/2 drive home and its F*ing cold here in kansas City. But I had this great idea one day, because I was afraid of leaving my car unattended. So what I do now is carry two keys with me. One I use to start the car and let it run, the other lock all the doors to keep her safe and secure. It is a really good idea, besides getting a turbo timer.

josh

a4cefed
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
^ here is another idea, get a turbo timer, set it at x mins, then take your key with while your engine warms. no need for 2 keys and the car is locked.

Poopie
02-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i warm it up for 15 minutes at least in the morning when its really cold. Just because I don't want to just get warm by the time i get to work. Even with 15 minutes the needles are barely off the pins. After that i start it and sit for 30 seconds and off i go.

98a4
02-13-2007, 04:53 AM
10min mornally. I haven't started my car in 31days tho...

Alan
02-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I usually let it warm up for 10 minutes when it sat outside, but now that I can use the other side of the garage, it usually warms up for like 5 , while I wait for my mom or dad [Im on a permit].

By the way, whats a turbo timer?

dukez
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I usually let it warm up for 10 minutes when it sat outside, but now that I can use the other side of the garage, it usually warms up for like 5 , while I wait for my mom or dad [Im on a permit].

By the way, whats a turbo timer?

Keeps the car running (after you take the key out) until set desired time. Its purpose is to cool the turbo.

damionphillips
02-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I try to do John Force burnouts so i can break stuff while under warranty. So i'm at 6000 rpm's as the starter solenoid is still disengaging.