PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Auto

Calabria
02-10-2007, 06:46 PM
What are you running, Manual or Auto. Just wondering, also, would you keep your tranny or switch to Man/Auto

sean1.8t
02-10-2007, 07:02 PM
manual..

there is no other option for me. i could never drive an auto. especially a turbo'd car.. there is just no other feeling like shifting those gears

4ringAR
02-10-2007, 07:07 PM
im auto(tipronic). but i kind of wish i got a manual, although it is nice to not have to deal with shifting, sometimes.

NyteEscape
02-10-2007, 07:21 PM
have an auto b5. loved it. wanted more. now i have a manual b6. i love it more.

burner799
02-10-2007, 07:21 PM
automatic is for women.

Trv06kviper
02-10-2007, 07:36 PM
From the very first to the very last car I drive it'll be manual.

Silver98A4
02-10-2007, 07:58 PM
got a manual....didnt really plan to get a manual as my first car. although like any other guy out there i wanted one...i was a bit skeptical. once i got the hang of it though i loved it....i have a 2.8 and i love just downshifting from 4th to 3rd and getting a nice burst of acceleration

Kyle H
02-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Manual. It's the best thing in the world, except when you go to drive auto cars and you try and press the clutch. :)

cleanandsimple
02-10-2007, 08:14 PM
i don't think i could ever go back to auto. i get bored driving manual. bad things happen when boredom kicks in. also another down side is being so used to shifting that you go to shift and slam on the breaks instead.

Mattgfx
02-10-2007, 08:16 PM
i have tip its fun, but i want manual badly

DND
02-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Manual just gives you a feeling of way more control; but realistically, if you don't shift well it can actually be worse in a panic situation...
burner799, automatics are for people who can't be bothered to shift, people who just don't care and don't feel they need that extra feeling of control, it has nothing to do with gender (although it usually has something to do with age and women don't tend, on average, to be as big of control freaks as guys in the first place [;)]).
One guy I know went automatic (not Audi) with some special transmission gear changes that allow him to keep his turbo spooled up during shifts for better performance.

Now having said all that, [:)] personally I hate automatics! Whenever I have to drive one I find I'm always reaching for a stick and trying to press a clutch that doesn't exist! [=(]

Quattrocket
02-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Ive never driven a smooth auto trans in my life and they all seem very problematic regardless of make/model.

BranCKY3
02-10-2007, 10:59 PM
No clutch no care.

Tiluleshpingen
02-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Automatic is for the handicapped thats why god made an extra hand.. for the shift knob hahahahha.. once u drive manual you never go back..fi u think u hate shifting on any ocasions then manual is not for you!

burner799
02-10-2007, 11:23 PM
the reason i say auto is for women is because the like to talk on the phone, drive, and do their make up at the same time. When im driving, its ME time. every limb and sence is occupied. We spend a considerable amount of time of our lives behind the wheel, might as well make the post of it. Wouldnt want to cruise through life in autopilot.....

JumboBlack1.8
02-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Def go with a manual....ur in more control of the car. Driving automatic feels like driving a go cart

ExpLlclT
02-11-2007, 08:50 AM
auto is for half drivers 50%

ny02s4
02-11-2007, 09:29 AM
<--- tip owner [=(]

but i let my motor do the talking when it comes to who is faster [cool]

slmmda4
02-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Gotta have the 5 speed...I dont feel as comfortable when I drive automatics-I feel as though I pay alot more attention when I drive a manual.

20vpower
02-11-2007, 10:09 AM
also another down side is being so used to shifting that you go to shift and slam on the breaks instead.

hhaah i hate when that happens, i was driving my friends accord in frisco and i start to pull up to a stop sign and push my left foot to the floor only to slam my head into the steering wheel. damn autos.....

MultiAudis
02-11-2007, 10:15 AM
depends on what the car is for... my audi is tip because it is a daily driver and I commute around the beltway of DC during rush-hour 2 times a day, so I would blow my brains out if it was a manual. I have a rwd sports car and it of course is manual, but I am rarely in stop and go traffic in it. Besides the fact that my audi isn't fast enough to really make having a manual as passionate an experience as other cars. People will argue, but it all boils down to individual preference, the way people like to drive their cars, the reasons they use the car and the geography in which they drive. If I ever get around to picking up an s4, it will also be manual. But for daily driving, I prefer to drive auto, and the tip is nice because if I get the urge to play a little, I can. I will most likely have both for the rest of my life, because there are times when each serves it's purpose better than the other, and I can't see a way of avoiding that.

quadaxel
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
running auto. parents wouldnt let me get a manual as my first car. really wish i got manual though, but sometimes, im glad i have automatic.

Audisport0808
02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Manual is the only real option for driving, It's how you can actually experience the drive.

Quikslvr
02-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Autos are so boring!! Manual all the way!

JMaxx93
02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
jeez i feel like a old guy. i mean i have manual, i've had auto. my wife has auto. There are times for both. I agree that having both is def the way to go. But all the extremist comments are just, well, extreme. you try sitting in LA traffic with a manual. it sucks, real bad. having said that, i love driving a manual.

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 08:02 AM
When I bought my car I purposely bought a Tip, because I was driving for 45 minutes each way to work in stop and go traffic, near Seattle. My Integra with an ACT pressure plate, 6 puck clutch and lightweight flywheel was unbearable in traffic everyday. So when I sold it, and knew I was buying an Audi, the Auto was a must. Now that I live in Montana, I wish I had a manual at times, however you have to be a damn good driver to shift as good as an Auto does. The tip is kinda what sealed the deal for me, I could tolerate having tip over just a regular Auto.

CaSp3r9
02-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Ive never driven a smooth auto trans in my life and they all seem very problematic regardless of make/model.

Go test drive any brand new Lexus, I work there over the summer and both of my parents drive Lexus'. All of their cars accelerate/shift buttery smooth.

clconversion
02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
hell i can't even drive auto cars my G/F has a automatic beetle and everytime i get in that thing I get like 300 kilometers to the tank(I live in Toronto) no miles up here haha but I just get the worst gas milage with the thing because my foot is always on the gas pedal I don't know how to coast haha

ProOnThaSnow
02-12-2007, 09:00 AM
My ex's 99 Beetle was a 5 speed.... I hope she wraps that thing around a pole. But I did enjoy driving it... It was black, and I put 5&#37; tint on it, because she always made me drive everywhere... you just feel gay if people can see you driving it. I suppose it was okay, because I put an awesome system in it, and black is a more masculine color. Nonetheless my Auto Audi is much better to drive IMO.

Quattrocket
02-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Go test drive any brand new Lexus, I work there over the summer and both of my parents drive Lexus'. All of their cars accelerate/shift buttery smooth.

I work in a Lexus plant and drive RX350s all day and Im not overly impressed with them. steering is fuggin awesome though. You can turn the wheel at a stand still with your pinky finger.

Tiluleshpingen
02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
If you dont like sport cars then manual is not for you.. if you like to coast, blast the radio, have 22ich giovanna rims then manual is not for you. if you like 99.&#37; how a manual car feels drives then manual is not for you.. you have to like it 100%//to drive manual and to like manual you have to get into the spirit of shifting up and down.. i dont care when or where am driving as long as it is manual traffic or no traffic snow or sun .. simple as that

Burntaudi
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Manual. I would never buy a tip.

sean1.8t
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I work in a Lexus plant and drive RX350s all day and Im not overly impressed with them. steering is fuggin awesome though. You can turn the wheel at a stand still with your pinky finger.

i can turn my wheel with my pinky finger at a complete stand still [;)]

Quattrocket
02-13-2007, 12:03 AM
i can turn my wheel with my pinky finger at a complete stand still [;)]

Are you hitting on me? cuz if so.. thats awesome! LOL