PDA

View Full Version : Southbend is In, FW question.

Nor_Cal_Driver
02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I picked up my A4 last night and so far I really like the clutch (stg III). However, my mechanic sent my DM FW out to be resurfaced and the machine shop said they wouldn't warranty the work because it was a little past what they liked, there wasn't any cracks but what's the worst that could happen now? Should I even worry? Is chatter the only thing other then the FW blowing apart?

Poopie
02-09-2007, 07:40 AM
not much to worry about. they guy would not have resurfaced it if it would put you or your car in danger. did they contact you about the flywheel before putting it in?

Nor_Cal_Driver
02-09-2007, 07:44 AM
not much to worry about. they guy would not have resurfaced it if it would put you or your car in danger. did they contact you about the flywheel before putting it in?

Yeah they did. the mechanic is a lifelong friend and he said said compared to the diesel truck w/ DM FW mine shouldn't be a problem, but no warranty.

EuroA4
02-09-2007, 07:45 AM
If you read the SB site, they recommend a new FW...saying that you should never resurface a DM FW.

Correction: If the car has high mileage, replace it.

If your DMF has 125K don’t expect to get the same mileage with the next clutch replacement. If you require another 100+K replace it with a new one.

mike-2ptzero
02-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I picked up my A4 last night and so far I really like the clutch (stg III). However, my mechanic sent my DM FW out to be resurfaced and the machine shop said they wouldn't warranty the work because it was a little past what they liked, there wasn't any cracks but what's the worst that could happen now? Should I even worry? Is chatter the only thing other then the FW blowing apart?

Most likely it had high spots and they had to cut it down to a point that they thought made it too thin or enough that it might cause too much of a gap between it and the clutch disk. A larger space will cause the clutch to start slipping sooner then a smaller space, this is why most flywheels and pressure plate are cut for the disk being used. Changes in the cut of the flywheel or pressure plate will also change where the clutch grabs in relation to the clutch pedal.

JumboBlack1.8
02-09-2007, 07:46 AM
How many miles are on the car before you changed the clutch?

Daft
02-09-2007, 07:50 AM
It sounds like your FW had already been machined or it required more than the typical cut to get a good friciton surface.

I'm now starting to wonder if they know that you have to machine the outter lip of the FW too...

In a nutshell, having the FW machined too low will do a number of things. It will cause your clutch disc to sit lower in the FW and in turn will leave the fingers of the pressure plate tipped outward more than stock spec. As a result, you will need to more them further with the throwout bearing to fully disengage the clutch and if it's far enough beyond spec, you'll have problems changing gears.

So, the question is, what was the step height before machining and what was it after? Did they machine the outside lip of the FW? These types of answers will explain what type of performance you can expect from the clutch/FW combo.

Andy from Southbend says:

" The final step for the flywheel is .350" to .345". Do not remove more than .020" from drive surface."

You can show this to the machine shop if necessary: http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/inspectdmf.html

Nor_Cal_Driver
02-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Car had 86K on it when I had the clutch changed. I'm going to the machine shop to get the receipt and I will talk to the machinist about how much was removed and how.