PDA

View Full Version : B5 APR upgrade questions. Need Feedback please

Ayjay23
02-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I am about to do the APR stage III+ I already have the APR stage II plus their FMIC. My questions is in regards to my brakes. I want to upgrade them but do not really want to swap my wheels right now. They are somewhat new and look decent, 18 in HP evos. I know when i got them i was not going to be able to fit a BBK on them but i can not remember if S4 brakes will fit. And if they will fit, will they give me enough stopping power? Any feedback you have will be appreciated.
thank you in advance
a

SeanF
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
you cant fit s4 brakes, not because of your wheels, just because they dont bolt up.

you may be able to fit an a8/tt kit, im not sure about with the evos though...

SurferForever
02-08-2007, 05:03 PM
i got the awe kit and it works great

Poopie
02-08-2007, 05:30 PM
who said you can't do s4 breaks?

MultiAudis
02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
i dont think you can do s4 brakes in the front, but I think you can in the rear iirc

Poopie
02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
i dont think you can do s4 brakes in the front, but I think you can in the rear iirc

yes you can

fred2ka4
02-08-2007, 06:23 PM
yes you can

Not unless you swap out the spindles. I just tried and they do not fit. The bolt pattern is wider than the A4. The rears do bolt up but you will have to make a few modifications but nothing really major. (you will need to swap out the e-brake cables as the A4 ones are a little short)

Poopie
02-08-2007, 06:31 PM
doh, since you ordered them I thought they did. haha

Chard
02-08-2007, 07:37 PM
S4 front brakes don't fit.

A8 brakes should fit since they basically include larger rotors and reuse the stock calipers. You'll have to get TT caliper carriers to get the caliper to fit over the rotor. While not experiencing this kit first hand, I can't imagine it would improve the brakes enough for a stage 3+.

You might want to look into getting a Porsche Boxster kit. I'm drawing a blank, but there's a company out there that sells the Boxster calipers and carriers to use with your stock rotors. Those might fit depending on how restrive your wheels are.

Honestly, I would switch up the wheels. I just value brakes over wheels. Brakes just have so much more of a performance factor. Wheels perform, but mostly are there to look good. You can find another good looking set to fit over big brakes. OR you can run spacers.

fred2ka4
02-08-2007, 08:51 PM
doh, since you ordered them I thought they did. haha

Yeah, I know ...... DOH!!

That's what I get for listening to other people. I talked to the people at ECS Tuning and they told me they would fit more than once, so I believed them. Now I know better, but I will make them fit after I switch out to the S4 spindle. I am in the process now of sourcing them out. Let me know if you know anyone who has a set they want to part out.

Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack, but this info will help for your brake upgrade after you go to the APR Stage III+

Tiluleshpingen
02-08-2007, 09:17 PM
good nice money saving thread.. i w as about to buy some used S4 brake kit

Ayjay23
02-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Looks like i will be getting rid of these wheels. I dont mind it overall i suppose. I just bought them so i was trying not to double spend. Now I will post about a clutch since i forgot to on my original thread. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

ShawFM
02-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Not unless you swap out the spindles. I just tried and they do not fit. The bolt pattern is wider than the A4. The rears do bolt up but you will have to make a few modifications but nothing really major. (you will need to swap out the e-brake cables as the A4 ones are a little short)

And to think the B5 S5 fronts bolt right up on a B6 A4 without spindles.

SeanF
02-09-2007, 06:32 AM
if you swap the spindles will you need s4 axles as well?

fred2ka4
02-09-2007, 06:36 AM
And to think the B5 S5 fronts bolt right up on a B6 A4 without spindles.

Yeah I know, the brakes that I got were from a B6 owner. I was considering using a B6 spindle but I wasn't sure if it would fit because of the size difference of the cars, and also the difference in the suspension. Since I had just purchased the Febi Bilstein 12 piece control arm kit, I had to make sure it fit and the B5 A4 and the B5 S4 share the same part # for this kit so I know they are the same as far as being able to be swapped out.

onemoremile
02-09-2007, 06:51 AM
With good pads and proper bedding the A8 kit will be plenty for a stage 3+ on the street. As long as you took care not to over cook the brakes they would even be fine on a track. The upgrade to Porsche calipers has more to do with pedal feel, feedback, and easy maintenance than raw stopping power. In the end pad selection is always the key. Stock brakes with great pads are better than Porsche brakes with bad pads.

FWIW, I do track the car. Generally 5 - 20 minutes sessions for about 120 track miles per event. With a K04 I was able to cook a set of street pads on street tires. With the same turbo and track tires I was not able to get a set of track pads to fade. The tires raised the speed at the ends of the straights and the tires made for shorter stopping distances both of which put more heat into the brakes. The A8 rotors took it without a problem. As long as the pads are in their proper heat range you don't have anything to worry about.

Another nice thing about the A8 kit is that you can upgrade to the Porsche calipers (ECS Stage II equivalent) for not much money. The carriers and lines are about 200 and the calipers are 300-600.

Tiluleshpingen
02-09-2007, 10:18 AM
onemoremile.. when you bougth the A8 brake kit.. what year was the A8?
are ther rotors bigger then what A4 run stock?
Are they 4 piston or 2? When you bougth the a8 BRAKE kit did you have to get
brake lines, are u kept the stock that werr on the A4?
wher can i get good brake pads..looking everywhere?!

seank
02-09-2007, 10:24 AM
goto ECS Tuning they have everything you need for the A8 upgrade. it utilizes the 312mm a8 rotors and a4 calipers, stock a4 rotors are 288mm. not much more stopping power but the larger rotor size will disipate heat faster. and as said before make sure you buy quality pads, that is the one place you don't want to skimp, they are the most important part. tirerack has a good selection of pads. i highly recommend the Hawk HPS's they are a good comprimise between a track pad and a street pad.

tkarwin
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
purems.com for the win. I agree with everything onemoremile said.

Chard
02-09-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a set of Hawk HPS pads for sale if interested. Also have a set of 90% Mintex Red Box.

Ayjay23
02-09-2007, 02:41 PM
any ideas on a set of wheels that are not super pricey for the set. preferably 18's. i had 19s for my first set and didnt like the ride as much as with the 18's i have now. plus there is the issue of potholes so a lil more sidewall cant hurt. probably something under 1500 for the wheels + tires of course so i would assume under 2200 for the set. since this is 2200 more than i want to spend plus the cost of the brakes and then the stage III+ and my clutch this is going to be a fricken expensive month. so keep that in mind with your suggestions please. also if you guys have an idea on a clutch kit let me know. something that feels about what the stock clutch feels like.
thanks in advance
adam

onemoremile
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
onemoremile.. when you bougth the A8 brake kit.. what year was the A8?
are ther rotors bigger then what A4 run stock?
Are they 4 piston or 2? When you bougth the a8 BRAKE kit did you have to get
brake lines, are u kept the stock that werr on the A4?
wher can i get good brake pads..looking everywhere?!

The A8 rotors are a bit larger in diameter so they can hold more heat energy and have more surface area to shed that heat. ECS or PureMS.com will have the correct kit for your year. I have no idea what year A* the rotors are from. They use the stock caliper which I believe is a 1 piston sliding unit. I kept the stock brake lines for a year and then replaced them with Goodrich stainless lines. I now run Axxis Ultimate Ceramic pads and they are excellent and inexpensive.

I will be upgrading to Porsche calipers mainly because they make it so much easier to swap pads at the track. They pull out through to top of the caliper as opposed to the stock design which requires that the caliper be removed. The 4 pistons make better use of the pad by distributing the pressure better. This isn't a huge benefit but it does help a bit.

http://www.purems.com/images/fullsize/B5A4STAGE1KIT_fs.jpg
The A8 upgrade kit includes:
* 2 - 312x25mm Brake rotors (stock Audi A8)
* 2 - Brake carriers (stock Audi TT Carriers)
* New sliders and bushings

http://www.purems.com/images/fullsize/B5STAGE2KIT_fs.jpg
The Porsche A8 upgrade uses the same rotors with different brake caliper carriers, generic 911 stainless lines, and Porsche Boxster calipers. It will obviously then use Porsche brake pads.

Tiluleshpingen
02-09-2007, 08:01 PM
thanx onemoremile apriciated it