PDA

View Full Version : looking at a 2000 1.8t

theskuh
01-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey,

I am going to look at a 2000 1.8tq 5 speed this weekend. Is has around 70k on the clock. Besides timing belt replacement what should I look for that could be critical on this car? Oil sludge? Owner says he was meticulous with synthetic oil changes.

Should I take it for an independent inspection? it is out of state so i don't know any shops there. Would they even do a compression test anyway? just look it over more or less?

My buddy has a 2.8 and he said the only thing that went bad on his car beside normal maintenance were the rear wheel bearings. I understand the turbo adds a bit more complexity to the equation.

I have worked on vw's for years. Done engine swaps chips cams heads clutches springs etc myself. so I am not a noob when it comes to cars. so would probably be doing most of the work myself. If the timing belt isn't done I will do that right away.

I just haven't bought a used car in ten years and don't like going into anything without a lot of research. Love the A4 though and can't wait to start tuning again.

20vpower
01-31-2007, 07:16 PM
gl, http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2494241.phtml , im in the process of hopefully upgrading to 1.8tq

dmaize
01-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey,

If the timing belt isn't done I will do that right away.

hey. how hard is it to do timing belt. and where would you get a kit? i have a shop to do it in. thanks.

tanklee
01-31-2007, 08:35 PM
i would definitely get another shop to take a look at it just in case, especially on our cars. Other than TB and oil sludge, look out for tie rods, the electrical system, and def make sure the turbo isn't on its way out (i think stock turbos usually die around that mileage). Good luck!

Poopie
01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
good chance to upgrade the turbo then =)

you can get a complete timing belt kit with the water pump and t-stat for about $300. It takes someone about 4-5 hours to do. Not bad at all. I can cruise and do it in about 2 hours as long as the front bumper doesn't fight me.

theskuh
02-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Cool,

Thanks for the link 12v that is a nice post.

Yeah I am not concerned about the TB I will use that to know the price down. As long as it doesn't go on the ride home that would suck. As for the turbo. yeah that isn't a huge deal ether. This isn't my only car so yeah it would be a good time put a ko4 in or bigger.

I am a little concerned about electrical cause a gremlin like that could come and go. I don't have a vag-com yet so I couldn't pull codes. But I am going to see if he has a local shop that he takes it to that could give it a look over.

I am feeling pretty good about this. It is just a little scary to buy without any type of warranty. I would be more scared if I didn't have the money to spend to fix it.

theskuh
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
One last question

the guy is asking 8900 obo. what do you think is a good offer? 8k? 7500?

1 ate T
02-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I would say somewhere around $7,500 - $8,000 would be good.

Good luck!