PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE BLOWN- Tough decision to make now!?!

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Hello
Bad news for me- was driving last night and car shook and turned off- smoke out the hood and car wouldn't start. Found out that I had a MAJOR oil leak and car had no oil left in it- looked underneath and it was just pouring out of the belly pan.. F!%K!!! Now I am not sure whether it is worth buying and installing a new engine or just parting out the car. It is a 98 1.8T.... Also, can I put an S4 engine in this or will it not work correctly since it is an A4? The shop is estimating the engine with labor is going to run about 4K. WHat would you do? How much do you think the car is worth without an engine> Thanks for opinions, I just can't decide if I should spend the $ into fixing it, or move on.....

chimchongdlight
01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
dang sorry to hear that man, that sucks, if ur gonna sell or part out, let me know

Don Supreme
01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
no oillllllllll.....

How fast of leak was it? You didn't notice the oil pooling under your parking spot?

badassb5
01-31-2007, 08:59 AM
AnjaBrendan, YGPM

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 09:00 AM
no, i didn't see anything- it was dark outside. Im so pissed- just don't know whether or not to spend the $ for a new engine or not. Anyone selling a used 1.8T engine I can buy?

AUD-A4
01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
check out the local junk yards, that would be your best bet on any cheap motors. keep us posted!!

Poopie
01-31-2007, 09:03 AM
there is a short block on VWvortex.

juju4uofa
01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
I bet you hit something while driving that put a hole in your oil pan. You probably lost all of your oil in a matter of seconds. And no, you can't afford to have someone install a S4 motor in your A4. I would source out a cheap motor and find the cheapest install price possible. Doing it yourself would save some serious cash!!! Also, if you have full coverage, tell your insurance company you hit something in the road that put a hole in your pan and they should cover the accident. Plus, if there like my insurance company, your premium won't go up because they won't consider it your fault. There shouldn't have been anything in the road tall enough to do this damage.

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Poopie- I can't find the engine on VW site- how much and will it work with my car? I am a tip BTW and located in Patterson, NY- just north or NYC. Car is currently stranded at a shop in Bronx, NY... this really sucks

pipe7284
01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
sorry for being such a vulture but, if parting out, i need both o2 sensors and maf sensor.

hey4
01-31-2007, 11:27 AM
bad news keep coming. Considering weather to part out your car or not is going to depend on it's condition. How many miles are on it? Do you plan selling it? if you plan on selling it It may not be a good idea depending on the mileage. It really depends what you invested in your car and how much it's worth to you.

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 11:30 AM
not sure if I am parting out yet- I am in the process of contacting my insurance to see if they may cover this. I think there was a pothole I may have bottomed the car out which caused the massive leak. How does the process go if I do make a claim? I am sure I have full coverage so Im thinking this would be covered under my policy.

juju4uofa
01-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Most of the time you'll get several quotes. The insurance company will decide how much they're going to give you and then they'll cut you a check for that amount minus your deductible. You'll be obligated to get it fixed then and if you don't they'll drop your coverage on that car. So, assuming your insurance covers this, here are your options.

1.) Get the money and pay someone to fix it.
2.) Get the money, fix it yourself, and make money off the deal.
3.) Get the money, part out the car, and get a different car.

I've had pretty good luck with option 2 [:D]

juju4uofa
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
BTW, if you have to get the quotes yourself make sure the shops know it's an insurance quote. They'll mark the price up so that hopefully it'll cover your deductible.

fred2ka4
01-31-2007, 12:03 PM
BTW, if you have to get the quotes yourself make sure the shops know it's an insurance quote. They'll mark the price up so that hopefully it'll cover your deductible.

But be careful when you do this because if the quotes are to high the insurance co. will just total out the car, so the quotes have to be within reason.

fred2ka4
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Also if the damage was caused by a pothole, you can file a claim with the city and make them pay for part or all of it. I hit a pot hole and bent one of my wheels and damaged a tire beyond repair, (235/35/19) I had the rim repaired and had to replace 2 tires, (quattro) and the city paid for everything. You will have to take pictures of the pothole and submit estimates but it's well worth the time and effort.

bOOOOstedAudi
01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
More reason to use the insurance money for a full build!

jrodmk2
01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
i tried that over here on the east coast and they said they do not cover for pot holes and sent me the little ordinance showing this. it was only a wheel though. and only small bend hardly even noticable.
fred i sent you another pm.

n2000snake
01-31-2007, 01:20 PM
my oil cooler leaked out all the oil in my engine... i ran the car for 20 miutes with no oil,, i fixed the car and now i have a ticking, might be a back oil pump.... did your oil light come one??

sorry about the car !

Militant-Grunt
01-31-2007, 01:54 PM
sorry for being such a vulture but, if parting out, i need both o2 sensors and maf sensor.

Hahaha here they come.

Sorry to hear that. I think it would be cheaper just to get another A4... unless you put a lot of work into yours.

Mattgfx
01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
good luck man, if u part out hit me up lol

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
I'll keep everyone posted. This blows

SoFresh
01-31-2007, 03:06 PM
honestly, with the questions you are asking... you sound like you dont really know much about building motors.... thats just my observation.... and yes a S4 motor would work, you could put any vw, audi motor in your b5 if you really wanted to.... maybe you should go get some shop quotes...

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I never said I knew anything about building motors, I fly jets for a living so could tell you all about turbines if you're interested... Im simply wondering if the S4 engine would fit properly and mesh with all the A4 stock parts- especially the tip tranny.

SurferForever
01-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Why dont you throw in an old school bored out 454 big block? will that fit? i dont think so but it would be cool if it did

d_maniac
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
the same thing happened to me this afternoon. I was driving up pehlam parkway and hit a major pot hole...when i got to the car wash i saw a puddle of oil under the car. I headed straight up the bronx river to yonkers to see my mechanic. Thankfully he has a extra oil pan for me and as i'm typing this its being installed. Hopefully everything works out and no motor damage. PM me for his contact info i know he has an extra 1.8t engine here. His shop is not far off yonkers ave in yonkers new york.

A4pilot
01-31-2007, 04:04 PM
OK, thanks for the info. My car broke down just after passing over the Whitestone Bridge going North from LaGuardia airport. I am pretty sure I hit the pothole on the Grand Central Parkway and left a stream of oil from that point on. Oh yea, my oil light came on for about 10 seconds before the engine seized. I mean this was a major oil leak. I think the insurance co. might go after the city because of the condition of the roads.

d_maniac
01-31-2007, 04:14 PM
DID you have a hole in the pan???

I scrapped the drain plug and it got stripped inside....

MSMITTY
01-31-2007, 06:45 PM
OK, thanks for the info. My car broke down just after passing over the Whitestone Bridge going North from LaGuardia airport. I am pretty sure I hit the pothole on the Grand Central Parkway and left a stream of oil from that point on. Oh yea, my oil light came on for about 10 seconds before the engine seized. I mean this was a major oil leak. I think the insurance co. might go after the city because of the condition of the roads.

AnjaBrendan, I just sent you a PM.

AB18
01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
I have almost a brand new aeb motor, only 10.5k mi on it. Its a 5speed, may take me a little to get it to you though.

Quattrocket
01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
hey do they have these cars in japan??? cuz you can get japanese motors for like 800 bux. dunno about audis though?

sean1.8t
01-31-2007, 07:08 PM
this is a past PM from 2001S4NY..

Well here is the thing i can provide a stock S4 K03 turbo motor and with a chipped ECU if needed. You can use your stock 1.8t Drive train. The motor runs you about $2500, now depending if you want to wire up the whole car as a S4 meaning S4 cluster, S4 climate control unit. I provide all other parts such as subfrrame, intercoolers, air box and everything else you need. You are looking at about $5500 for everything including labor and parts to swap the motor in and you would be done in about 3 days. It can be cheaper if you bring all your parts in. That also included Stock S4 Flywheel and S4 Clutch.

his shop can do almost anything you need for a bargain. i would PM him for your options.. especially since you're in NY as my being in Utah is what is stopping me from doing anything with him [:(]

jrodmk2
02-01-2007, 06:49 AM
AB18's motor is manual. it would prob. take you about 2.5-3hrs to get there, from nyc

A4pilot
02-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Great News! Insurance checked out the car and said that they will FULLY cover the replacement engine! Estimate just over 4K with labor- and I am getting a used 1.8 engine with 60K on it. Just wondering now if I should have the timing belt on it done before the install since the mileage is close to needing it done. My old engine had 130K on it. Im pretty happy now. My A4 will be back from the dead soon.

MSMITTY
02-02-2007, 05:00 AM
That's awesome man! BTW what insurance company do you have [up]

A4pilot
02-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Update---Since the engine I am getting has like 60K, I wanted to get the timing belt, water pump etc.. changed before putting it into the car. Talked to insurance and they said they would cover the new timing belt, labor but not the water pump. So I just pay for the new pump- no big deal. Awesome! I should have the rebuilt car back later today, and I'll let you know how everything is running. Btw, insurance co. is called Travellers!

fred2ka4
02-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Now stay away from those potholes!

[:D]